• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 Wis Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Act

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As an IL resident, property owner in Walworth County.....I hope WI does the right thing. I have yet to register my vehicle (bought 2 weeks ago) as a result of this. I'll gladly pay the sales tax/register in WI (where the truck is kept) if a positive outcome develops.

Thanks to those before me who have put the time into this for "New guys" like me to enjoy the hobby.

Thank you

Bob

undysworld

Neophyte,
As a resident of IL, it's legal for you to keep your IL-plated truck in WI, due to reciprocity laws. Glad to have you and your truck in Wis.!

TO ALL,

We just learned that we've got a Public Hearing scheduled before the Senate Transportation Committee for Wed. Mar. 7.

Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Bill SB-462 / AB-580

Congratulations!

This is the official announcement that our bill has been scheduled for a Public Hearing before the Senate Committee on Transportation, Wed., Mar. 7th! Your calls and emails made this happen.

PLEASE READ:
You have a right to attend this hearing, but you do not need to. You can attend and register IN FAVOR of the bill, and you can speak before the Committee if you wish. BUT, because of time concerns, it might be better if most people did not speak.
Tom and I will both speak about the bill. We have also arranged for a handful of owners who have been particularly inconvenienced by the DMV to speak and tell their "horror tales". But beyond that, we have been asked to urge you to only register IN FAVOR (if you haven't already done it on-line HERE), if you choose to attend the hearing. The committee schedule is very full, and we do not want to burden them with too much testimony.

HOW YOU CAN HELP
We still need to get this through the Assembly. Contact these two gentlemen. Urge them to work to move this bill forward.

Assy. Rep. Jeff Fitzgerald, Speaker of the Assembly
(608) 266-2540
Rep.Fitzgerald@legis.wisconsin.gov

Assy. Rep. Jerry Petrowski, Chairman Assembly Transportation Committee
(608) 266-1182
Rep.Petrowski@legis.wisconsin.gov

Thanks For Your Continued Hard Work & Support! We can do this!

Senate

PUBLIC HEARING

Committee on Transportation and Elections

The committee will hold a public hearing on the following items at the time specified below:

Wednesday, March 7, 2012
9:00 AM
411 South
State Capitol​

vtwinpilot

Man they shuffled the hearing around like some shady township trying to hide something. It looks like we gained an important ally- SEMA the specialty equipment market association. They are a non-profit association of trade companies fighting to preserve the rights of enthusiast's to use and enjoy their vehicles. SEMA Action Network (SAN)

DieselBob

Man they shuffled the hearing around like some shady township trying to hide something. It looks like we gained an important ally- SEMA the specialty equipment market association. They are a non-profit association of trade companies fighting to preserve the rights of enthusiast's to use and enjoy their vehicles. SEMA Action Network (SAN)
Thanks for posting that link. I didn't know about the SAN.

vtwinpilot

I also could not make it, working graveyard and trying to drive down was not possible. Would have been worse if I had scheduled a day and been hosed out of it with the last minute shuffle game. Hopefully we will have a video link posted to review testimony like last time. Just edited this down a bit to keep it on topic, do not want to dilute this thread.

Last edited:

1943ht

Attended yesterday to support the team and testified ..BLUF: (Bottom Line Up Front) Frustrating Process and UBER Complicated!!!!!! Paul and Tom have done an excellent job of moving this legislation into the limelight with the State Government and their dedication and sacrifice (Time, Money, ETC) has been significant Please support these gents in any manner that you can!!!

My observation on the testimony yesterday

!. DOT has just been to busy with other issues to do anything with the situation (Work-Load) :roll:
2. DMV is on-board regards support but needs an operating process (Legal
Verbiage)that they can enforce ...
3. Hearing panel was irritated with DOT's lack of initiative and hinted at some type of executive review (Which no one including DOT or the Panel wants to see happen .. must be a major hassle to conduct) After some direct question from the panel, DOT rep stated that they are willing to sit down and work it all out with collectors .. especially on the MV Issue.rofl

Where has that attitude been hiding all of these months DOT? Or is this just some more smoke and mirror stuff to keep us at bay?

Some excellent and moving testimony about DOT abuse and some reluctance from some of the car collector associations to support the amendment as it is complicated and still does not fix the problem fro MV owners!.

I was personally frustrated with DOT Testimony as it lacks facts and again portrays safety scenarios that are based on some kind of Hollywood script (Kids driving Tanks to High-school, horrible accidents with children involved in vehicles never fitted to support child restraint equipment etc ..) Every military vehicle is termed as an off road vehicle with DOT (You can see the mental picture being painted for the legislators) and therefore not safe to be driven on state roads/federal highways The aspects of duel use (Tactical vs Non-Tacticlal) is never mentioned or defined by DOT and again their "paintbrush" lacks facts regards our MV's. and their safety compliance

Hope my testimony addressed some of these facts yesterday as a military expert, MV collector and Owner. Urge all concerned to contact their WI legislator etc to voice your concerns. Believe me when I say that is a huge deal to folks in government .. Hold Them Accountable!

Last edited:

Tanner

Is there any benefit to bringing in FMVSS or Federal level DOT 'experts' to assist with insuring that the WisDOT folks understand the FMVSS perspective for older vehicles?

'Tanner'

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any benefit to bringing up the actuarial risk (real vs. perceived) of driving our vehicles on WI roads? For a 5 ton vehicle, driven less than 7000 miles per year in WI......comprehensive and liability insurance was under $350/six months with a $2k deductible. Relate that to any truck on the road. An insurance company (state farm in this case) certainly knows the risk....for they charge for it.

What was the purpose of the WI legislature "locking down" FMV's if not for perceived liability risk?

Thank you

Bob

Tanner

Neo - I raised the question before, but don't know that it was answered in regards to who has a burr in their saddle in WisDOT.

Granted, I have zero skin in the game, but misguided legislation has this nasty ability to encroach on other states at times...

Keep up the battle, folks!

'Tanner'

1943ht

WIDOT understands the Federal Regs .. It’s just a matter of accepting those regards our vehicles WI Safety law is actually fair regards what is needed on a vehicle as long as it is FMVSS compliant .. That’s the rub .. Vehicles produced before 1968 (That's right the Federal Gvt has stated that those vehicles get a pass!!!) don't have that sticker and are a safety concern according to WIDOT.. especially if they were painted OD Green!

So legislation was passed to address those MV’s and now have a separate Class of MV’s in WI .. But the restrictions are the issue. You cannot register that vehicle as a daily driver even if it meets current safety standards (Exception is 4 types of MV vehicles).

If I want to drive my M37 or my Willies or the M818 into town to buy a loaf of bread or to go for a Sunday Afternoon drive on the WI Rustic Road System.. I'm violating the current law because my vehicle is not being used for a parade event, or driving to a historical event, etc. etc etc. If I try to register my M37 as a regular old Dodge pick-up, it’s denied because it’s an MV .. I even have to send Pics in to show what the vehicle looks like to get it registered .. That's what we are fighting here.

I probably have done a big hand little map job of summarization... but I think I'm pretty close to describing the issues as I understand them

Dezarms

Even Illinois ( nazi) has a bill in the ILL gen assembly on this issue. SB3530, they are making money on this ! WiZ should do the same! Isnt this whats it all comes down too! Excise taxes!! same thing with my class two ffl.sot.

1943ht

Yea you would think so .. the dollar issue you really need to emphasize is the fact that it won't cost WIDOT any $ to implement the changes .. we are after all, only a very very small slice of the registered vehicles in the state. You can believe that Paul, Tom and supporters have pitched all the right arguments on this one!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks