• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2016 TX MV Rally

Another Ahab

The following photos are of the vehicles at the museum, many are privately owned. For some reason the ambulance photos didn't come out. There were a pile of jeeps! View attachment 618065
Does anybody know the story on the field piece being towed behind the Willys? I can't remember seeing this gun before (3"/ 75mm?). Is it something from the U.S. arsenal, or something else? Maybe Italian? Some kind of "mountain" artillery?

field piece.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody know the story on the field piece being towed behind the Willys? I can't remember seeing this gun before (3"/ 75mm?). Is it something from the U.S. arsenal, or something else? Maybe Italian? Some kind of "mountain" artillery?

View attachment 618418
That would be the US 75mm Pack Howitzer M1. It comes completely apart so the parts can be carried on pack animals (mules) to remote locations.

Madmedic

Trail Boss, I'm assuming you were talking about our M1010, as far as the ambulance picts are concerned. I posted a couple of picts earlier in this thread. About to post those again, along with picts from Mabry, on the thread we started for the restoration of that unit.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So any plans yet on the Oct event at The Museum of the American GI? I've got the weekend cleared. I was planning on setting up at the swap meet but had the driver of my POV cancel and I'm not loading 16 395/85s in the back of the LMTV so will just be showing up Friday.

Barrman

I can't make it either Mark. Colton is a senior this year which means one more fall of traveling with the band. I get to go to Sequin in two days and am just overjoyed about it. The Mullins weekend has a game on Friday, a marching contest on Saturday and I will try to sleep on Sunday.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know about you guys but if I went to two Rally's in one week the atmosphere would not be favorable. Already have plane tickets for Georgia so that is the one. Have a great time.

Another Ahab

I can't make it either Mark. Colton is a senior this year which means one more fall of traveling with the band. I get to go to Sequin in two days and am just overjoyed about it. The Mullins weekend has a game on Friday, a marching contest on Saturday and I will try to sleep on Sunday.
And then you got the college tours, after all that. I'm glad I got all that behind me; good luck!

m715mike

So any plans yet on the Oct event at The Museum of the American GI? I've got the weekend cleared. I was planning on setting up at the swap meet but had the driver of my POV cancel and I'm not loading 16 395/85s in the back of the LMTV so will just be showing up Friday.
Planning on being there with Carlos. At a minimum, will bring M1010 Ambulance and Carlos's M-Gator.

So who made it to the museum this weekend? Got any tales to tell or pictures to post?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wound up taking a Primitive Engineering class on building Slow Sand Water Filters so didn't make it. It didn't sound like anyone was going to make it so figured I'd hold out until Spring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks