• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

23speed road ranger and dt466 swap

So I know this seems kinda stupid/impractical and I'm just asking this for chits and giggles but how hard do you thing it would be to swap a dt466 and a road ranger into a deuce. Also I got to wondering about a 2 speed rear end swap.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let only your imagination and budget stop you.

Lonesome715

Questions like this cannot be answered. There is no way to tell you how “hard” it would be. No one can speak of your fabrication or mechanic skills. What is hard for one person is a cake walk for another. How “hard” it would be it totally up to you.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can't gold plate a turd (well you can but then you just have an expensive turd).

While I'm not a purest in any sense of the word (I've bobbed and butchered more than one truck) I think the multi-fuel engine and stock transmission are pretty bullet proof when used as intended. Due to the rear end gearing putting another transmission (even a Roadranger) is not going to give you any more speed. If you remove the transfer case you lose the front wheel drive so that shoots the capability of the truck in the foot.
It's your dog and you can whip it if you want to but I think it would be a lot of work for very little return.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My grandfather always liked them said they were slow but didn't break much and it seems like it would fit in the engine bay well so I wouldn't have to make the truck that ugly and they are quite common. Then again a 3208 cat would be cool. I didn't really think this out too well but that's how I do things.

You might just want to RETHINK how you do things, will waste a lot less time for everyone

You can't gold plate a turd (well you can but then you just have an expensive turd).

While I'm not a purest in any sense of the word (I've bobbed and butchered more than one truck) I think the multi-fuel engine and stock transmission are pretty bullet proof when used as intended. Due to the rear end gearing putting another transmission (even a Roadranger) is not going to give you any more speed. If you remove the transfer case you lose the front wheel drive so that shoots the capability of the truck in the foot.
It's your dog and you can whip it if you want to but I think it would be a lot of work for very little return.
I don't need much in return I thought it would be cool to do and this is just an idea I haven't the time nor the money to do anything like this yet but for me to get the idea to the point of being doable I have to start with something insanity irrational and stupid and get input to develop it to the point of being feasible and for it to become a probability for down the road and even then I'm only figuring out the major details as I cannot figure out every last detail of something before I do it or I will get in a rut of questioning my ability and will end up scrapping the idea before even attempting it. I am the type of person who has to simply do and figure out the problems as they arise.

welldigger

I like the dt466. Well the mechanical version. It is a solid engine and is cost effective to repair and maintain. Sure it doesn't produce huge HP numbers but it produces more than the MF. As far as transmission choice I'd rather have an allison auto with OD. Some may call me crazy but the idea of having a civy engine and tranny in the deuce is very appealing. All parts would be off the shelf at any large truck parts dealer. Given the number of these engines out there parts will be available for a very long time.

so i got to thinking and i think i have figured out a way to solve the driveline angle problem. i think extending the frame say 5 or 6 feet would fix the angle problem and allow a triple crew cab mod to be installed without much if any reduction in cargo space

I like the dt466. Well the mechanical version. It is a solid engine and is cost effective to repair and maintain. Sure it doesn't produce huge HP numbers but it produces more than the MF. As far as transmission choice I'd rather have an allison auto with OD. Some may call me crazy but the idea of having a civy engine and tranny in the deuce is very appealing. All parts would be off the shelf at any large truck parts dealer. Given the number of these engines out there parts will be available for a very long time.
I got talking to my dad as he was a mechanic for big trucks for a while and he said a straight 10 speed would be what he would do if he was to do something like this said 23 gears is a few to many

welldigger

Without SERIOUS modification to the truck there simply isn't room for that big of a transmission. I would honestly question if a Eaton 6 speed would fit. Its the same reason the a3 has a non overdrive Allison. It was about the only heavy duty auto that would fit between the engine and transfer case.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given the proper budget and welding facilities, you could instal dual DTs in there.

Without SERIOUS modification to the truck there simply isn't room for that big of a transmission. I would honestly question if a Eaton 6 speed would fit. Its the same reason the a3 has a non overdrive Allison. It was about the only heavy duty auto that would fit between the engine and transfer case.
From what I have learned from my gramps extending or shortening a truck frame is remarkably easy so the majority of the work would be extending the driveshafts and modifying the cab to make the trans fit also what other axles other that the 2.5 ton rockwells will work under the truck? I would like to see 4.10:1's installed in combination with a 10-15 speed to make a good on/off road rig.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks