• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395's and hubs on my Deuce ! What I think about the upgrade.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter

rrrr

The gear sets are available. Read the details about them. They recommend you up the IP and install a pyro gauge.

I think the .69 gears are too high for the deuce if you have to do these things to make the truck go. That's the main reason I chose the 395's . They also look really good too.

rrrr

I'll post some more pics when I get back from my trip. I just finished a major instrument dash upgrade. Should get them up Thursday. I did install a boost gauge and pyrometer to see what's going on as well as an extra instrument back light and hand brake warning light. Just need to finish the brake light install. I also pulled the bench seat and will put in another spring seat. Did some engine upgrades as well; coolant filter system, an evaporator for the air system, a block heater, a 12volt accessory outlet etc.

When the mechanical stuff is done she'll get a new paint job as well.

rrrr

You mean toe out.....
I need to adjust the toe. My understanding is that with bigger tires you need some toe in. Toe out affects turn in. I'm not looking for turn in ability but straight line stability which is helped with a slight toe in on the front wheels.

rrrr

Talked with a local 4x4 big tire guru yesterday and he confirmed that about 1/4 inch toe in was what was needed.

So this morning I went out and began the process. First I referenced the TM (9-2320-209-20-3-2 chapter 15) on adjusting toe. Then I went out and loosened the two bolts and clamps holding the rod. I jacked up the front end. I then put a staple in each tire in front and measured the height to the ground and made sure each staple was the same height. Then I attached a tape measure to one staple and pulled it across to the other staple to get a measurement. I then rotated the rod about 1/4 turn and went to check my measurement again. The dimension got larger so I needed to turn the rod the opposite direction. I then turned it about 1/2 turn the other direction and measured again, the dimension got smaller, great. Did about another 1/4 turn and measured and now the dimension was 1/4 inch closer together between the two staples ! Great !
I tightened up the two bolts and lowered the truck down.

My test drive was great, 90% of the "loose feeling" is gone ! I won't toe in anymore since the expert I talked with suggested that if that works to leave it alone. Who would of thought that such a small adjustment could have such a large impact on stability.
I'm very glad I did this. It took me about 1.5 hours since my rod bolts and clamps where rusted and tight. I had to knock the clamps off the bar a little to get the rod to move. It took a giant pair of channel locks to get the bar to rotate. Why didn't they put a square fiting on the rod somewhere ? Oh well, its done ! :-D

swampzr2

I was planning on putting 46" tires on my A3 and was trying to calculate how much speed I could gain.

Top speed with the 42" M35A3 stock tires id 55MPH screaming.

From 42-46" is a 9.5% increase, so I calculated my top speed to be 60MPH

Is that right?

What size tires do the A2's have in inches? They must be considerably smaller if you are able to reach 70 MPH.

Does anyone know how the tire sizes convert to tire size in inches? I cant figure out how the military tire sizes work.

Thanks in advance

tm america

I was planning on putting 46" tires on my A3 and was trying to calculate how much speed I could gain.

Top speed with the 42" M35A3 stock tires id 55MPH screaming.

From 42-46" is a 9.5% increase, so I calculated my top speed to be 60MPH

Is that right?

What size tires do the A2's have in inches? They must be considerably smaller if you are able to reach 70 MPH.

Does anyone know how the tire sizes convert to tire size in inches? I cant figure out how the military tire sizes work.

Thanks in advance
9.00s are 41 inches 11.00s-14.5s are 43inches and 15.5s-395s are 46 inches.
another reason an a2 has a higher top speed with the same tires is it has an overdrive trans.The a3 in a dirrect drive trans...

treeguy

Just curious, does anyone know exactly how much rub there is front AND back at FULL articulation? Like I said, just curious. I love the look of the 395's and will definitly do the same upgrade when the money tree blooms, nice job esp. with the extra gauges. That whole bit about the toe in or out, so confusing - wow, this site is such a wealth of knowledge and great people. THANKS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks