• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395s WILL fit on a stock Deuce!!!

100dollarman

What about rear articulation? Look like with the taller tires, you have lost most of the ability of the rear to pivot without the tires hitting the bottom of the bed. That could get ugly real fast off road. Also with a good sized load in the bed, how much does the suspension compress?
Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but for me function is more important than looks. I am very interested to hear how your deuce works in rough terrain as I can see the advantages of larger tires, but again it seems like the trade off may not merit the mod.

I'll try it out when I get a chance and post some pics---

IHASFIP

What about rear articulation? Look like with the taller tires, you have lost most of the ability of the rear to pivot without the tires hitting the bottom of the bed. That could get ugly real fast off road. Also with a good sized load in the bed, how much does the suspension compress?
Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but for me function is more important than looks. I am very interested to hear how your deuce works in rough terrain as I can see the advantages of larger tires, but again it seems like the trade off may not merit the mod.
I am with this guy. They look bad ass. But I want to be able to play. Thats what I got it for was to play off road. I don't want to be trashing tires and the bed. Definately some pics when you get a chance. 100dollarman, I can get them about 4 1/2 hrs east of me for about 100$ a piece at 70% tread, I may go that route.

D

AZDeuce

I've been running the 395s for almost a year now, mostly on the freeway, but also a 3 day desert trip, in a nut shell they WORK! Off road in extreme situations they will rub on the bottom of the bed, but fortunately they rub in the flat areas and not on or against the bed's ribs. I can now keep up, and occasionally pass the Swift trucks that clog our freeway at 65 MPH. I believe at 2700 RPMS I'm doing close to 71 MPH (according to my engineering friend).

Usually I run at 24-2500 RPMs which puts me around 65-67 MPH. The truck doesn't feel any more sluggish than usual, and once up to top speed you can tell you're going faster than usual. Believe it or not the truck steers easier with the big meats on her, so far no need for power steering. I'm currently running 55LBS, but may drop it to 45 to see if she rides any better. So far even at 60 and 55 LBS, I have no complaints with the ride quality of these tires.

For me they work great on both the highway, and off road. But I live in the FLAT desert, and have not taken it on any hills, I'm told it will be a dog on the hills, but I haven't had no need to go find out yet. I have mine set up exactly like the truck on page 1 of this thread, in other words I did NOT reverse the rear hubs, I don't plan to either, as I think the truck looks really tough this way, and so far the "tracking" has not been an issue when off roading.

I don't see any problems due to the 395s being mounted to the stock rims, from a safety stand point, but I do wonder about the bulged side walls, coming into contact with jagged rocks out in the desert. I personally would feel better if the tires were mounted on A3 wheels, just due to the sidewall issues. I know there are some GREAT wheels out there by various vendors, but they are one piece wheels. I want a take apart rim either like the Budds, or the A3 Combat rims, so I can disassemble/re-assemble them out in the desert if neccessary. These 395s are lots of "fun" to get on a stock rim, until you learn the secrets, I can't emagine trying to put them on solid wheels by myself!

AZDeuce

Gimpyrobb, check your PMs. I forgot to mention it helps a lot if you have the proper tire working tools, such as two spoons and a good slide hammer.

IHASFIP

I too would be interested in secrets you used. I manage a tire shop so we have plenty of tire tools, that is just a really wide tire on a really NOT wide wheel. :)

D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you do a search for 395/85r20, you will find the thread "Apoc ready to plunder". It has all the secrets in there. AZD used soapy water to lube up the tire, I used old silicone brake fluid.

100dollarman

I bought 27 pallets of the 10 lug wheels out of OH this week. When I get them here, I will be working on getting them re-centered for the Deuce 6 lug. I havent even seen one of these rims in person, but I want to figure out how they can be adapted. I will update when I have something going on them---

Maxgussam

Could the OP or anyone else who has done this provide any info regarding power loss with the larger tires?
I am especially interested in how the truck performs when loaded.
I would like to put these on my truck, but I don't want to be going up hills in 1st gear with a load...

Thanks!

tm america

i have 15.5s which are the same size .they do fit.but they will hit the drag link at full cut to the right .and they will hit the lovers on the inner fenders at full flex while fully turned to either side .mine are xls which are a great all around tread the 395s have a better tread for off road but wear pretty quick on the street.deffinately go over your wheel bearing i lost one on the front a week after put the tires on scary at 70 when tire almost comes off.:roll:i have mine on stock rim. i got a flat and drove 30 miles home.it never popped the ring off kind of like poor mans run flats:-D

tm america

as far as power does about the same unless you have a trailer behind it cuz the turbo spools up quicker under a load since it will make heat faster. it doesnt brake as good .i have my fuel turned up as much as i would go .and winds and hills kill me when i have a trailer behind it but it doesnt seem to hurt it much when the load is in the bed.gas milage is great and everything else is a huge improvement