• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4" Ram Air Scoop for deuce

I was looking back through sewerzuk's build and came aross a picture that DeucesWild11 posted on a 4" ram air scoop. I did not have any luck tracking down a buyer but a buddy did for me and I thought I would pass this inforamtion on. The product is from Donaldson Filteration Solutions. http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/055480.pdf Another google search will get you in the proper direction. If you look on FleaBay, I found them in AU.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to do write ups and sending in pics.
#300 http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?55511-All-the-stuff-I-did-to-my-deuce-right-here/page2

View attachment 055480.pdfIMG_2404 (2).jpg

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sellers on eBay will NOT ship to the USA...I've been searching & found several online vendors in Australia who may ship them to the USA. If so, I will report back here with a good link.

On my last trip with my Deuce, I turned up the fuel to where I could comfortably hold 55mph in a headwind & up small inclines, without excessive smoke nor EGTs. BUT, I did notice that with my mushroom intake cap, I was drawing a significant restriction on the air intake. I am looking to eliminate this restriction with the 4-inch air ram intake. I knew of this restriction when installing the mushroom intake cap, but I didn't think that it would be an issue as I had no plans on turning up the fuel on my truck...that was before my first headwind & slight hill out of town, that changed everything.

I followed the link from the Donaldson website on vendors in the US. I typed in my address and the site listed several vendors near the house that I could order from. One of the vendors was a Peterbilt dealership, they quoted me $174.66 with a 3 day shipping. I liked the $80 US range I saw on FleaBay from AU :) like you said, Silverstate55, they don't ship to the US.

Silverstate55, thanks for responding and looking forward to see what you come up with.

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebStore/locator/locator.html

northfield.jpg

I bought mine from the land down under before they stopped shipping to the U.S. for some reason. My m35a2 has a LDS 465 and the stock air intake just would not supply enough air. My son fabbed up a snorkel we installed the donaldson ram air intake and a new filter. WOW what difference, the fuel air mixture is so important, so many people turn up the fuel without thinking of adding air.

Last edited:
Fredo, did you go with a stock new filter or an aftermarket? I'm about to start my homework on picking a replacement air filter.

I've turned up my fuel, installed my boost and EGT gauges via my column pod (thank you Peashooter). Ready to take her for a spin...

I came across Filtermaxx online, looks like the Donaldson H001654 Air Ram is $135.69 plus $12.00 shipping.

Last edited:

Cannoncocker

I wish I knew someone who lived in AU. If they won't ship them to the US find someone that will! Crocodile Dundee hasn't been returning my calls? It was just a thought. If you end up with an extra one I would be interested. Thanks, John......

Ford Mechanic

Hey do you think we can get some measurements and a little more up close pics of just the air scoop? I might try to fab one up out of steel, before I would shell out $150.

DeucesWild11

quickfarms

That one on a snorkel would let the rain water in. The Donaldson has slits around the mounting bracket that let's water out and not down the spout. I'll see if I can find some specs on it.
I would not worry about rain coming in when driving, my commercial trucks just have a screened intake in the grill, but in storage that could be an issue.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I have a confirmation on In-Stock & shipping to USA. Western Filters of Australia has the Donaldson Air Ram intakes in stock and will ship them to the USA in the $50-$60 range. John from Western Filters was kind enough to reply to my inquiries and said you can order the 4-inch air ram intake straight from his company's online store:

http://www.westernfilters.net.au/product_info.php?cPath=75&products_id=172 (4-inch intake, AU$71.50).

He also has other sizes from 3-inches to 7-inches, as well as Stainless Steel air ram intakes. I'll be ordering mine in a couple of weeks, unless someone wants to trade me a 4-inch Donaldson for a like-new 7-inch Donaldson Air Ram intake I've had sitting around for a couple of years.

HTH.

Cannoncocker

For what it's worth I just tried to place an order with Western Filter AU for one 4" Donaldson P/N H008154. They have only one method of shipping (AU Air Mail) and the shipping to California came to $86.40 Total.... $157.90 Ouch!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like if its a ram air it will ram water equally while cruising at break neck speed. Should there be some type of fluid drain somewhere with a check like motorcycle and ATV airboxes have?