• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 wheel steering on a deuce?anyone done it?

WOW you guys way over think all this stuff. If I put this much planning and questioning into any of my rigs nothing would get done. PSC will answer any and all questuons and build you custom kits to do anything. Instead of all this guessing let the pros handle something as important as steering. I sure wouldn't wanna be on the road next to some hacked together "I think this will work" stuff.

jesusgatos

Uhm, PSC isn't going to design anything for you beyond the hydraulics. A person could put a lot of thought into the steering geometry and installation. The 'over-thought' setup isn't usually the one that's 'hacked together'. Way more often, it's the guy that just bought some **** and bolted it on...

deuce_09

midnidhtduramax u must be one of those goody good daddys girls huh??
dont reply to this thread if ur gonna say stuff like that..( let the pros handle something as important as steering) i guess we all know whos not the pro here(midnidhtduramax)
miss im not smart enough to fab something up..:mad:

deuce_09

(WOW you guys way over think all this stuff. If I put this much planning and questioning into any of my rigs nothing would get done...)yea OK
thats y none of ur rigs will be as good as the guy that put alot of thought in his rig..
arent u late for nail appointment or something??if u get my meaning..get out of my thread

WOW you guys way over think all this stuff. If I put this much planning and questioning into any of my rigs nothing would get done. PSC will answer any and all questuons and build you custom kits to do anything. Instead of all this guessing let the pros handle something as important as steering. I sure wouldn't wanna be on the road next to some hacked together "I think this will work" stuff.

Let me put this alittle more politely then everyone else has. Most of the guys in the MV hobby love to tinker and fix things on there own. If we all wanted to pay others to do the work for us wed all go to a car dealer and just buy a turn key vehicle and get a summit racing catalog. Half the fun of owning a MV is fixing and moddifying the vehicle they way you want, making it unique, using NOTHING off the shelf.

I agree some of the MODS may not be exactly safe, its up to each individual to determine if his vehicle is road worthy. He has to live with consequences of his actions, not you.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, we just have to be tactful on how we air our opinions on these boards.

Jeromy

I have been thinking about this for some time now. Since i have never really seen a duece yet some of my thinking might be off but this is how i see me doing it when i get one. Since these trucks arleady have an air supply I would use air bags on one or both rear axles. I would put the rear steer axle in front to give the tightest turns possible. But when you needed to use 4-wheel steering inflate the bags on the steering axle thus lifting the nonsteer axle slightly off the ground. Then to move from trail to trail or out on the highway you could either lift the steering axle off the ground or use a small air acuated cylinder with a slug on the end to lock the rear steering axle in on the fly.

jesusgatos

With two rear axles, I think you'd be better off having both of them steer (different radiuseseseses) and you should take a look at how the Deuces' rear suspension works - airbags would be very difficult to fit and lifting one axle is going to be a problem, unless you re-engineer the rear suspension.

russ81

4 wheel steering in actually easy. Most mods only require the right parts and a little welding/fabricating skills. What you guys are now talking about it multiple steering axles. This gets very complicated, and requires computers to calculate the needed hydraulic input at each axle according to how much steering angle you are using.

Here is a web link to a company I use all the time to move large heavy pieces of equiment.
Goldhofer AG - Trailers, Heavy-Duty Transporters, Modular Systems, Aircraft Tractors
I have used some of these that have 30 or 40 steering axles.

here is a quick picture.

Attachments

Midnight Rider

I agree some of the MODS may not be exactly safe, its up to each individual to determine if his vehicle is road worthy. He has to live with consequences of his actions, not you.
I'd have to disagree with you there. In all honesty others might have to suffer the consequences of someone's modification of their vehicle. If someone is going down the road and their 4 wheel steer setup fails, which pushes them into oncoming traffic, then others would definitely be affected.

I'm not saying don't modify your vehicle though. Just be careful and think it through. I think the 4 wheel steer setup would be awesome. I don't think I could accomplish it though.

Unforgiven

With two rear axles, I think you'd be better off having both of them steer (different radiuseseseses) and you should take a look at how the Deuces' rear suspension works - airbags would be very difficult to fit and lifting one axle is going to be a problem, unless you re-engineer the rear suspension.

radii (plural of radius)

I would think the wheelbase for the Deuce is plenty long enough to have the same radius for each of the rear steer axles. The tire scrub would be minimal & only on dirt anyway.

Tying together both rear steers with a simple dual steering arm should be sufficient. The "dog bone" torsion bars keep the axles a fixed distance during articulation. It's the leaf springs that change length slightly under articulation. That's why they are housed in an open manner. Therefore, a fixed steering arm connected to the knuckles of both axles would be sufficient.

The hard part would be ensuring that both axles are securely centered on pavement & in the case of hydraulic failure.

jesusgatos

Sure, but why NOT design/build it 'right'? Wouldn't be much work to figure out the correct geometry to get the right ackerman angle for each axle. You're absolutely right that it would be possible to use some type of mechanical linkage to connect thew two axles. Just not how I would choose to do it, but there's nothing wrong with what you're proposing. People have devised all kinds of clever lock-outs for rear-steer vehicles. Pirate's got plenty of examples if you're curious.

(and thanks, but I prefer radiuseseseseses)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks