• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

45Yrs Underground

ke5eua

Come on, it's a thing-a-ma-gig, everybody knows that, lol

It's defiantly a sensor, the perforated sides tell me it's testing for something other than movement. Given the age I'm leaning towards radiation.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a good chance that it is the bullet that Jed Clampett shot at the rabbit with his black powder gun when he struck oil. It would take a heavy bullet like this to reach an oil formation. There was not any way of controlling how far one of these bullets went after shooting it, so it could have come to the surface just about anywhere after going thru some oil. He was a big mountain man and could have shot a gun this big.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JeepStinker is a smartypantz. :goodjob:

It's a seismic sensor for detecting very large man-made bangs, like those made by a nuclear detonation.

More like a magneto inductor. :wink:
What??? I don't win nuttin' ?

Jeepsinker

Cool! So what are we doing with the seismic sensors? Are these in fact placed in an area near an old bunker or military complex, or were they just placed there for testing purposes?

RangerBob

Cool! So what are we doing with the seismic sensors? Are these in fact placed in an area near an old bunker or military complex, or were they just placed there for testing purposes?
Seismic sensors of this type are placed as far from buildings and 'civilization' as possible to minimize cultural noise that might obscure teleseismic signals. And when they are spread out over a large area to form an array, they can better triangulate on the signal sources.

Jeepsinker

Ok, so was this part of the igloo program or what? Nationwide nuclear detection array? I'm sure you will tell us more when you dig up the others, but this is so interesting I can't help but ask a bunch of questions.

RangerBob

Ok, so was this part of the igloo program or what? Nationwide nuclear detection array? I'm sure you will tell us more when you dig up the others, but this is so interesting I can't help but ask a bunch of questions.
Negative.

Worldwide.

There will be more pictures of this unit and the others, as well as any info I can dig up of this particular project.

Questions are ok, but I am somewhat surprised that there is so much interest since most here are focused on wheeled OD.

Jeepsinker

As far as I am concerned, it all goes hand in hand. Sure I love the wheeled and tracked vehicles, but I also appreciate all o the associated support equipment, installations, weapons, and other tech. It was all part of one big picture.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Negative.

Worldwide.

There will be more pictures of this unit and the others, as well as any info I can dig up of this particular project.

Questions are ok, but I am somewhat surprised that there is so much interest since most here are focused on wheeled OD.

This is the national enquire crowd

"Inquiring minds want to know"

RangerBob

I found a few more goodies on site. Here is one. 'The Electric Storage Battery Co' made batteries for submarines and eventually became Exide. With all of the do-dads sticking out of this battery case, I can imagine it in a large bank of batteries for something like that. I have not been able to reference the AN 3152-A number. Anyone? I shall attempt to revive it and put it in my mini sub.

Batt Front.jpg Batt Top.jpg

OK, so I don't have a mini sub. But if I did, this would be sooooo in it!

ke5eua

I found a few more goodies on site. Here is one. 'The Electric Storage Battery Co' made batteries for submarines and eventually became Exide. With all of the do-dads sticking out of this battery case, I can imagine it in a large bank of batteries for something like that. I have not been able to reference the AN 3152-A number. Anyone? I shall attempt to revive it and put it in my mini sub.

View attachment 517122 View attachment 517123

OK, so I don't have a mini sub. But if I did, this would be sooooo in it!
I like, my spidy senses are tingling with your finds.

RangerBob

I had tried to date this battery without much luck, but now that I've posted a picture, I see the 1952 stamped on one of the cell terminals. :doh:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks