• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

45Yrs Underground

RangerBob

THAT would have been even cooler to have found an unused, virgin 62yr old, GI battery! But, based on the white crud around the filler cap threads, I'd say it was been filled and used.

20140919_201823.jpg

Whiterabbit

I don't even want to guess where you are finding this stuff.
Let me know if you find the crates full of new in cosmoline Indian scouts and Harley WLAs!

RangerBob

An old USAF test site. Some documentation I have found on the project says it was funded in 1966 by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) and the Advance Research Projects Agency (ARPA). The site is now owned by UAF whom I am working with to reoccupy several of these sites.

What, no interest in the crates of Thompsons? Ok, nevermind... :whistle:

RangerBob

Last year UAF attempted to extract Jethro without my help, although I was on site to witness the attempt. They preferred a brute force method over my finessing. They failed. In fact, they broke the recovery hook. Jethro remained hung up on a weld seam about 14ft down. After the winter to think about it, we returned last week for attempt two.

The UAF boys were late, so I hiked/snowshoed up to the site to get things prepped. I'm heading for that tower over my shoulder and about 2miles up this snow-covered access road, then partway down the other side of the mountain.

PAX Start.jpg PAX Tracks.jpg

Do you see the site yet?

PAX See It.jpg

How about now?

PAX See It Now.jpg

A little probing locates the access hatch and I get her open.

PAX Found.jpg

Finally, the UAF boys show up in their snowmachine towing about 800lbs of steel. They got stuck a lot. They should have brought a snowcat, like maybe a 601...

PAX Stuck.jpg PAX Tool.jpg

That oddly cut piece of steel is going to be their extraction tool. Good luck wit dat. For scale, it's about 12" in diameter.

RangerBob

They set up a hydraulic press system on top of the well casing, lowered the tool, gave it a twist to lock onto the sensors upper holelock dogs, and began pushing (pulling). At first, nothing. Just as the system registered 20Tons of upward force, there was a TWANG!. The pressure dropped to under 10Tons and the sensor began inching up the casing. So after two days of pulling about 3" at a time, then re-setting the hydraulic press and pulling another 3", 4/5ths of the sensor emerges from the well. :???:

The bottom dogs and bulbous lower fifth remain at 14ft. Time to return to UAF and think about plan 'C'.

PAX Break Point 2.jpg

Last edited:

RangerBob

Hmm, what's that little steel can in the bottom of the last picture? It can be accessed from a hatch on the side of the instrument. It actually looks like a hatch you'd see on the side of a bomb in one of those spy-type terrorists-have-the-bomb movies. Do I need a plastic screwdriver and should I make sure I have nothing metal or magnetic on me? Naw, let's just crack her open and see what falls out...

PAX Gyro Removed.jpgPAX Gyro Top.jpgPAX Gyro Can Opened.jpgPAX Gyro Extracted.jpg

Well, lah-dee-dah! it is a 1966 Bendix Directional Displacement Gyroscope, part of the CB-60 Compass System in aircraft. Looks like the USAF used their own surplus to help construct this instrument. This would have been used to orient the sensor after it was placed downhole.

Last edited:

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, hate busting the subject on someones thread, but to clear up some info here, there were BB's.

You can find the info from any serach engine, I also saw one at Aberdeen back in he 70's at the museum!

[h=3][/h]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks