• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

46" Tires Performance

Preacherboy

Since those 15.5/80r20 tires are rated for over 12,000 pounds I think since the deuce weights 14,000 pounds total you should be fine going 60. If you put a max load on the bed and are driving through Death Valley, then you might have a problem.

I am putting those tires on my truck when I get it.

I have already purchase 2 of these tires locally, and I need to locate 4-5 more for a good price.

jdknech

i have the 395 XML's on stock rims, and they ride 100% better! i also hauled 8 ton of rock on the interstate 30 miles, and then another 5mi off road with no problem!(my fuel is turned up some;))

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I thought Crusher was going to post some pics in a new thread. We broke down some of each style and he lined them up and took pics. Mlvw, A3, and stock. Wonder when he will post up.

oops, . . . . sorry I've been busy and forgot.

The green wheel is the MLVW and I threw in a HEMTT (unmodified) and a stock deuce wheel for comparison.

100_0577.jpg 100_0614.jpg 100_0588.jpg

100_0625.jpg 100_0626.jpg 100_0636.jpg

Alredneck

Banned
Dont worry about the speed rating, preacher boy makes a valid point, also the military runs 60-70 with these tires on even bigger trucks with even more weight. ( I know I was there:p ) Folks also have to remember if they are putting on a used set of tires they have a tendency to run a certain way because they were wore on a different vehicle with different handling, and weight characteristics. :deadhorse: So just because yours dont run like mine, or any other guys on here dont really mean squat. Also folks you have to get over the whole braking issue. When was the last time you pulled your drums and looked at how much meat was left on them shoes or the fact they were adjusted correctly to spec.:deadhorse: If you have good shoes and drums then the brake performance is not much different stock with the heaviest rated load for the truck trying to stop if not better than that. I can lock mine up on Apoc. Also my turck has more power or doesnt pull a hill like his does B/S! :deadhorse: Not all our trucks were taking care of or being taken care like the other so comparing apples to apples, yes they are all ( mostly ) green but one may have more bruises than the other, or not as sweet as the next!:deadhorse: Now im done ranting so live the way you want, run your truck the way you want, last I checked it still was a free country! And I helped make it that way!:grd:

Alredneck

Banned
Over 4000miles on Apoc, there is a nice groove in the edge of the tread where it binds to the side wall from it rubbing on the steering linkage. Its about to become a rear. Date codes, dont pay much attention, I look at the overall condition of the tire, not the date, heck guys on here are still running NDTs from the 50s and such!:-D

kc5mzd

The leading cause of failure on big truck tires is dry rot that comes from the inside of the tire especially between the belts and the tread layers. You can't tell from looking at the outside of the tire. Also water seeps into the rubber from the inside where all the pressure is. This is why they can run tube type tires from the '50s that were stored in a warehouse without air in them. The date codes are very important in assessing the condition of used tubeless truck tires that were taken out of service.

Preacherboy

Does anyone know if the major tire distributers like Berg, AAA1 surplus, Kublos, etc. will look at the date codes for you before they send them out?

Anyone ever asked them a question like that before?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which date codes are acceptable to you and which aren't? :-?
date codes are 4 digits now a days
i.e. 4302 = 43rd week of 2002
Untill this century they were 3 digit
i.e. 438 = 43rd week of 1998 or 1988 or 1978 or 1968 or who knows
So with the 3 digit you really have no idea how old it is.
With the NDCC or NDT's which are bias ply and were designed to last forever.
Age is a factor, personally on the front of a deuce anything older than T Hawks should be avoided.

Radials are a different animal, I have been cautioned not to put anything over 8 years old on the front. I've heard some truck tire company's won't even mount a tire older than 6 yrs old. (Hear Say)

The 1100R20 XL's I bought were never on the road, they had Inspection stickers on them with "shelf life codes" 5 years and due for re-inspection.
That was shelf life in storage, no idea what the life on the truck was to be expected.

Now sure there will be some here saying the date codes don't matter, and some will even say dry rot cracks don't mean anything either.

I say if you're out on the highway along with soccer mom and the kids, I hope you are running good tires, especially up front!

Something to think about too, is the speed ratings. They have as much to do with load and pressure as they do centrifical force, think about it a 250lb radial with lots of rubber spinning at 70+ MPH !!!!!!!!

Preacherboy

Here is another question, I have 2 Michelin 15.5 XL's and could purchase one more, plus have a line on 3 Michelin XML's--would it hurt the truck to have mixed tires like that? Especially since one axle who have one of each?

If it wouldn't work or look right, I'm in the market for 3 more 15.5's in the XL tread for local pickup!

Jakob

There's a guy in Indy who has a Dodge Ram on Rockwell's and he runs the rear dualled with different tires. I think XML's on the inside and XL's out.

hasteranger

To dual up mixed tires (2 of each) for on road use, you will want to put 2 of each tire per side. Otherwise you will probably experience irregular tire wear. I know it seems counter intuitive, but you should run 2 of one tread pattern on the drivers side and 2 of the other on the pass. side so that pattern and diameter and condition are the same per side.
In particular you may experience cupping, feathering, and in extreme cases, chunking if you run different tires on the same side of a dual axle.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is another question, I have 2 Michelin 15.5 XL's and could purchase one more, plus have a line on 3 Michelin XML's--would it hurt the truck to have mixed tires like that? Especially since one axle who have one of each?

If it wouldn't work or look right, I'm in the market for 3 more 15.5's in the XL tread for local pickup!

"would it hurt the truck to have mixed tires like that?"
the mixed tread patterns shouldn't really hurt the truck as it has open differentials.
On road ride & handling might be an issue.
Note that on the tandems you will want tires that measure the same diameter / circumference not just the same size on the sidewall, as the tandems are locked together. Although they will wear down to the same size pretty quick.

Obviously having all 6 the same would look right.
3 on each side, wouldn't look bad except maybe from the front.

Somebody from Michigan was going to be going to pick up a load of the 395's / 15.5's this spring...............Now to remmember..............

Preacherboy

Well, Bob I have 3 of the 15.5's or 395's to trade towards 3 of the other. I also have a 15.5 Goodyear AT-2A that is brand new looking. It is going to be my spare, for now, until I run across someone who needs it.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing if your hauling some weight how much accelaration loss do you notice by stepping up to larger tires? Obviously the cruising speed is increased but, and I don't mind taking a bit longer to get up to speed, I worry about turning her into a total dog with the taller tires.

How about using a tranny from a gasser with the larger tires? It has a lower first gear and fifth gear is 1:1 (i.e. no overdrive). You won't gain any additional top speed with the larger tires but you also won't have any lose of power down low either.

Ruppster

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks