• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton HET

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

It would be an interesting project but finding a cab might be a challenge unless you could find one that had been rear ended by a Swift truck and totaled out by the insurance company.

I remember a wrecked one being sold out of Kansas last year but it had some cab damage. Looked like it had been laid down on the right side.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:tigger:

It would be an interesting project but finding a cab might be a challenge unless you could find one that had been rear ended by a Swift truck and totaled out by the insurance company.

I remember a wrecked one being sold out of Kansas last year but it had some cab damage. Looked like it had been laid down on the right side.
:funny:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing that would make a HET cab look funny on a lot of other trucks is that its 102" wide. It would stick 3" past the tires on each side on most other trucks.

HETvet

I think a 5 ton powered by a mack 3508 twin turbo'd out with an Alison HD4070, lockers in all axles, super singles, rear steer, and a 5th wheel would be sweet!

Carlstealth

I didn't know this Matt thanks for that insight. I've been thinking about re building my cab from the firewall back to include a raked wind shield like the Het and put in similar doors or like modern Peterbilt doors and frames and extend the cab rearward about 6in. Then put a flat roof like the Het with the front visor. Just to upgrade the wind shield and door sealing and add a bit of leg room in the cab. Also thinking of Rops in the cab.

Carlstealth

I think a 5 ton powered by a mack 3508 twin turbo'd out with an Alison HD4070, lockers in all axles, super singles, rear steer, and a 5th wheel would be sweet!
Wow that would be cool for sure. I like the rear steer idea for sure. I'm going to retain the 8.3 for economy and serviceability. I plan to install a knuckle boom and a nice deck that I can bolt modules to.

HETvet

The 8.3 is a great motor for sure. The rear steer idea is from the HET and PLS. I just think you can't beat the sound of a 1,000 cubic inch turbo diesel V8! And a 7 speed auto trans would make life more pleasant.

Carlstealth

Anyone good with photo shop that can put a 1070 cab on a 5 ton nose and shorten the sleeper area? Measured the 5 ton and yes the Het cab wouldn't fit width wise but I believe I can build something real close.

ke5eua

Anyone good with photo shop that can put a 1070 cab on a 5 ton nose and shorten the sleeper area? Measured the 5 ton and yes the Het cab wouldn't fit width wise but I believe I can build something real close.
I would shorten the sleeper, it is perfect with the bunks, plus you have 4 seat belts back there.

For me it would be the perfect truck, 4 kids strapped in the back and me and the wife up front. Just have to stay clear of swift trucks, lol

Carlstealth

I will have to install an early warning system for swift trucks.

I'm thinking my bed space with the tractor might get limited.I will have 10 feet after the picker goes on to work with and I was thinking it would be nice to build a camper out of a 10ft sea can. I could overhang it a couple feet and have a club cab for a boot room.

I would shorten the sleeper, it is perfect with the bunks, plus you have 4 seat belts back there.

For me it would be the perfect truck, 4 kids strapped in the back and me and the wife up front. Just have to stay clear of swift trucks, lol

ke5eua

I will have to install an early warning system for swift trucks.

I'm thinking my bed space with the tractor might get limited.I will have 10 feet after the picker goes on to work with and I was thinking it would be nice to build a camper out of a 10ft sea can. I could overhang it a couple feet and have a club cab for a boot room.
That's a cool idea. Stupid autocorrect change wouldn't to would but you got the idea. I'm looking at putting my S-250 shelter on my 818 if it allows enough room to still allow for the 5th wheel.

If you do this I will defiantly subscribe, this would be a cool conversion.

When I pulled the 939 behind the het it seemed almost the same width so a few inches wouldn't matter and if your not doing any heavy loads but for just show you could put spacers or if you wanted to actual het wheels as they are wide as crap.

Carlstealth

The HET is in fact 6 in wider and I'm more into stock fitments so spacers on the wheels are not my thing. The Het wheels may be a bit much for the 8.3 to swing anyway. I'm looking things over and there will be some challenges.I will have to move the fuel tanks some to get my picker outriggers between them and the wheels as it is.Then move the air tanks to get the fuel tank forward on the passenger side and redesign the drivers step and mount the air cleaner forward. I have to find a good place to seam the cab together that makes the roof line look correct.So making my own cab would be more the direction I'm heading. I can plasma table all the parts and break the roof skin in one piece. Only leaves the doors and there frames. I will look for some doors that would be suitable.

That's a cool idea. Stupid autocorrect change wouldn't to would but you got the idea. I'm looking at putting my S-250 shelter on my 818 if it allows enough room to still allow for the 5th wheel.

If you do this I will defiantly subscribe, this would be a cool conversion.

When I pulled the 939 behind the het it seemed almost the same width so a few inches wouldn't matter and if your not doing any heavy loads but for just show you could put spacers or if you wanted to actual het wheels as they are wide as crap.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone good [???] with photo shop that can put a 1070 cab on a 5 ton nose and shorten the sleeper area? Measured the 5 ton and yes the HET cab wouldn't fit width wise but I believe I can build something real close.
I scaled the cab using the tyres as reference though it looks like the HET cab is a little small (didn't shorten the sleeper either).... and no, I didn't find a RHD HET... Had to flip it to match the 5 ton.

Attachments

Carlstealth

I tell you what a beautiful site to wake up and see this picture.Thanks so much you've given me reassurance that I'm on the right track. That is so cool thanks a bunch zebedee!

I scaled the cab using the tyres as reference though it looks like the HET cab is a little small (didn't shorten the sleeper either).... and no, I didn't find a RHD HET... Had to flip it to match the 5 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks