• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton HET

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you do, make sure you put the steering on the left (correct) side...that large a truck would be a bear to drive in the US with right hand steering!

Errrrrm....... A: That pic was a photoshop fix - read note.
and B: I see no prob with a RHD (which is cirrect!) here in the land of driving on the wrong side of the road.... If you have mirrors, your vision should be the same and you are over the curb! Plus, in a MV you are likely traveling slower than "traffic" so won't be overtaking much!!!!
I have driven a Leftie in the UK and a RHD here in the States... just like jumping into an unfamiliar vehicle - take it easy and be aware of your corners and blind spots!

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS TONGUE IN CHEEK..... :) ... but I know I'm still gonna catch flack for it.

On a serious note - I have friends back home (UK) that run US made wreckers ('cause they like them) but one benefit is that when stopping at a wreck, on the highway - you don't get out of the cab into traffic.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Errrrrm....... A: That pic was a photoshop fix - read note.
and B: I see no prob with a RHD (which is cirrect!) here in the land of driving on the wrong side of the road.... If you have mirrors, your vision should be the same and you are over the curb! Plus, in a MV you are likely traveling slower than "traffic" so won't be overtaking much!!!!
I have driven a Leftie in the UK and a RHD here in the States... just like jumping into an unfamiliar vehicle - take it easy and be aware of your corners and blind spots!

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS TONGUE IN CHEEK..... :) ... but I know I'm still gonna catch flack for it.

On a serious note - I have friends back home (UK) that run US made wreckers ('cause they like them) but one benefit is that when stopping at a wreck, on the highway - you don't get out of the cab into traffic.
No problem, I saw the photoshop reference, just noted that the steering wheel was on the 'wrong side'...That being said, I used to work across the pond (UK). All of the guys would give me He** about the 'correct' side to drive on! Of course, both are correct, just depends on where your from! I did take them pictures of the car rental exits of smashed cars that the rental placed have on perm display at the Miami Intl airport though, that had been smashed within a couple of miles of the exit - whilst being driven on the wrong side. The roundabouts over there are downright wicked, no wonder we got rid of them over here!

I did notice a lot of the US made cars and trucks over there, especially the 1980s GM trucks - almost like they have a fetish! Kinda hard to get them around town in the small streets though! I do agree on the wreckers, it is real nice not to get out on the traffic side!

Carlstealth

Spoke with a guy today at a truck salvage yard about buying a couple doors. I guess they are 2500 for a pair! He tried to talk me into changing the whole cab to a Kenworth cab and keep the front nose .Also suggested taking the front axle out and transfer box and put it in a different truck hmmm! That just wouldn't turn my crank. I think I'm on the right track with my design.

Carlstealth

20140803_090635.jpg20140803_090705.jpg20140803_090625.jpgI've been busy lately fixing some minor issues before tearing into my cab upgrade.I installed a Delco alternator that only takes one wire to run and very little bracket mods. Just lengthened the lower bracket and ground a relief in the original bracket and made up a couple bushings from a crank handle of a superduty tire release.Also bored the original bracket to 1/2" tapped the rear end to 1/2"nc and installed a nice long grade 8 bolt. This pattern will accommodate pretty much every Delco alt. and a few others so I shouldn't be stranded anywhere that has 24V alternators.

Last edited:

Carlstealth

20140803_094454.jpg20140803_094511.jpg20140803_094529.jpg20140803_094551.jpgMade a plate holder with an LED wired to the trailer plug,built mud flap brackets that bolt in original holes,replaced the ABS module that was blowing a 15A fuse by the steering column and replaced a turbo drain tube that wore when the dip stick rubbed it sometime in its past.

Carlstealth

The alternator came from a jobber after market parts suppler(Bumper to Bumper) its a Dixie and should be available at most parts sources. The Amperage is 60A ten more than stock. You can fit almost any Delco in the same bracket right up to 100+ Amps.

Thanks for the compliment she will be looking more different soon.
The truck is looking good. Where did you get the Alternator and how many amp output is it?

Carlstealth

20140822_075337_resized.jpg20140822_075325_resized.jpg20140822_075313_resized.jpgJust thought I would post some pictures of a used deck I just scored.It has a Big PTO winch that I can run on hydraulics,Gin Poles,A roller on the back and A flip fifth wheel. Its been sitting a while and everything is seized up but should come around with some heat.It will overhang about 1.5 ft and still have room for my cab extension. For $600.00 I couldn't buy the winch.Will be getting out the plasma torch to tidy up things a bit. I want to make it exchangeable with the tree spade with a couple Hydraulic couplers and an electrical umbilical.

Carlstealth

20140822_075449_resized.jpgThat's exactly what I was thinking only half as short but old school. If you can see the I beam frame its tapered toward the back and the headache rack is Vertical with the cab. Must be to give a trailer more room in rough terrain.

That's pretty cool! Almost like a pipeline truck bed.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Power, more gears, power.... Did I mention power? I would keep the cummins as a spare, but as long as you have the cat I would find a way to run it until it takes a dump.

Hawssie

A C15 with a 13 spd can pull upwards to 120K or more, compared to the 8.3/Allison which can barely pull itself. But the gearing would overall be pretty low compared to an over the road truck. But the 13 spd would have an overdrive.

Carlstealth

I didn't realize it is actually a C-12. Is that a good engine?

A C15 with a 13 spd can pull upwards to 120K or more, compared to the 8.3/Allison which can barely pull itself. But the gearing would overall be pretty low compared to an over the road truck. But the 13 spd would have an overdrive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks