• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Tons under a deuce

mudguppy

Just 5 ton stuff, there is already a bunch of info out there for building 2.5 ton disc brake kits yourself.
none of the bolt-on kits are heavy-duty enough; trust me, i'm looking. one company should have a heavier kit in the next month. i have the part numbers for DIY, but not the time or equipment for the bracket fabrication and part machining required.

no worries. you going to do a write-up on your 'kit'? it looks nice...

wehring

Steve is a good guy

I know Steve at Dif Eng. He is an engineer with the common sense of an old school mechanic. He is a good guy and his products are first class.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

mudguppy

Have you ever looked at this guys stuff, it seems well built. I used to think it was expensive until I built my disc brakes, I don't think I could sell my kit at his price. There is a lot of money in just parts, not to mention the labor to make everything.

Differential Engine - Winter Haven, FL - Home
yes, Steve and I have spoken many times, and we both agree that his current brake kits are too small for GVW over 8k# when big tires are in the mix. mainly, the fronts are way too small. however, on my bobber, the rear kit will likely work quite well.

he's working on something bigger and told me to try him again later (which is coming up...).

Reactions: AMX

USMC6062

Well the only thing that can be any bigger would be the calipers. He already uses a 15.5 in rotor, any bigger and it wont fit inside a 20" wheel unless you run a bunch of offset. If my brakes don't provide enough stopping power, I'm going to run dual calipers per wheel on the front if need be.

USMC6062

There is not enough room between the leaf spring and tie rod for the steering ram to travel mounted above the tie rod. I originaly planned on putting the ram in between the tie rod and the housing, but there isn't any room when turned full lock. So, that lead me to mount it behind the tie rod. Hence the longer mount.

mudguppy

Jesse, you take a look at PSC's kit? also, i've got some great photos of how my ram was mounted [by caveman'] in my album. works fantastic.

jesusgatos

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm planning on doing. I'll have a 5-ton PS pump by the end of this month, and then I'll start thinking about exactly how/where I want to mount one of those rams. Looks like caveman did a pretty nice job on your truck.

mudguppy

yeah, he did a top-notch job.

PSC sells their kit w/ or w/o the pump, but also includes hose, fittings, resevoir, brakets, etc - i recommend the 'kit' either way. and with a bolt-on pump, the only thing you'll have to fab is the valve-column junction and the ram mounting. caveman' did mention that he didn't like the bolts for the steering rods and used some stronger ones.

USMC6062

Yeah that was my craigslist score. I bought it from a business that made computer boards, it mainly was used on plastic. They had about 5 milling machines and this was the only Bridgeport. They were selling this one and one other machine and they kept the three tiawan machines. They were down sizing, that's the only reason they were selling the stuff. It has a 9" x 48" table with a varible speed head and a two axis DRO. I got it for $1200 and only had to drive about 2 hours to get it. The DRO by itself sells for $1200. Oh, and it came with the huge vise that's on it. I love having a mill now, I just hate having to buy bits for it.