• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Tons under a deuce

DUECE-COUPE

what is the rear going to look like?? are you going to use the 2.5 axles fo0r something else?? a friend of mine is looking for a for for his mud truck. he owns a steel company so he is all about trading steel and powder coat services for an axle.

USMC6062

Because 5 tons have the pinion on the drivers side. It's the original 2.5 ton case. I could have spun the 5 tons around and made them passenger side drive, but I didn't want the gears inside the chunk running backwarrds against the coast side.. The way they are designed, they have bigger bearings where the load is applied going foward. If you 180 the chunks, the truck will still move the right direction, but the load is now apllied to the smaller bearings. If I was going to drive only in the mud then I would have done it, but I plan on driving on the road, so I want the gears to last as long as possible.

USMC6062

It would sorta work on the front, it moves the pinion close to the center of the axle. The rear is one side or the other. The housing is centered, so spinning it doesn't do anything. The only way to make the rear closer to the passenger side is turning the chunk around, which is what I didn't want to do.

USMC6062

The picture of the driveshaft is with the 2.5 ton front still in it. I just took the picture because I thought it looked funny having the driveshaft go from one side of the truck to the other. Maybe that's what has people wondering why I rotated the case.

mudguppy

is the front going to clear the oil pan? could you put an 800-series MF oil pan on for clearance?

btw - nice fab on the new transfer mount!!

USMC6062

Multifuel 5 tons use the same oil pan as the deuce, it's just turned around backwards. I think the pick up tube is the only difference. It looks like it will clear as is and have enough room for suspension travel, but if not I can always spin the oil pan around.

DUECE-COUPE

does that mean that a 800 series 5 ton engine and trans will fit in the engine compartment of a deuce?? if so, i think that would be an AWESOME upgrade.

USMC6062

800 series have cummins motors in them and are too big and heavy to fit in a deuce. I'm not sure what the multifuel 5 ton series were called, I think it's the M39 series. They were before the 800 series and yes a 5 ton multifuel motor will fit in a deuce.

Trango

Nice TIG work on the splined puck.

Hey, one thing I've found in mucking around with the deuce steering is that, after building two new steering systems, I would prefer to use modern Tie Rod Ends as opposed to the ball ends (can't remember the term for the balljoint steering interfaces). As cool as it is to have a period-correct steering system, the ends of the draglink end up sticking out too far, meaning they tend to hit shocks, and sometimes tires.

So, the TRE's are just smaller profile.

Otherwise, nice build. Please continue the pictures!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks