• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Tons under a deuce

mudguppy

i forgot to ask, how is the truck on power now? between the extra axle weight, wheel weight, tire size/weight, and slightly taller gear ratio, i would imagine that you've got some significant power loss.

i definitely had to turn up the fuel in my truck - it's ok now.

what's your observation? how's 1st gear on a slight uphill?

USMC6062

I've got 35 psi in them right now, but may lower the rear some. The outer lugs aren't making complete contact. The front looks about right, but I'll just have to see how they wear. As far as power, it is lacking with the big tires. It won't pull 5th gear on level ground. I finally wound it out in 4th, but when I went into 5th, it just stayed at the same rpm and slowy lost speed. I will adjust the pump like I did on my other truck, it was night and day on it. I did the math and in 4th gear at 2500 put's me at 60mph, the speedo only shows a little over 40. In 5th at redline, I think it said it would do 76. But for now, 60 seems fast enough sitting up like it does, I don't know that I want to go any faster. I plan on taking it to the truck stop by my house and get it weighed. I think it probably weighs the same as a stock deuce.

USMC6062

I put over 200 miles on the truck today going to the Belleview show and back. Everything went well, other than I think I have a pinion seal leaking. It is hard to tell, because I evidently put the breather for the axle in a bad spot and it was pushing gear oil out the hose and made a mess to start with. I got the breather fixed, but still have gear oil coming from some where. i'm gonna pressure wash everything tomorrow and see where it's coming from.

vinny-socom1

I was at the rally today and could not find you?? your truck looks great really nice work. I had the bobbed 5ton with the M105 bed. Hope to see you at the FL Rally.

Vinny

USMC6062

You must have been parked out in the parking lot, I never made it out there. I would have liked to look at your truck, I seen a couple on here, but none in person. I was around, I talked to several people who were looking at my truck, I guess I just missed you. I would really like to go to the rally, but I doubt I'm gonna make it. I still need to fix my pinion seal, and I would like to have 4 wheel drive if I went to the rally. I still have to make an adapter for the front shaft and have it shortened to fit. I also still need to get my transfercase linkage hooked up after clocking the t-case. Nothing is worse than a big truck with big tires, that you can't take in the mud and play with. Hopefully next year I'll make it.

USMC6062

My truck runs out a lot faster now. When I first started driving the truck it wouldn't pull 5th gear, I assumed because of the big tires. So I turned my pump up 1 turn, and I was able to drive in 5th once I got going fast enough. Well, yesterday I drove to a mud bog and all went well, on my way home my brakes started dragging. At first it seemed to only be the rear, so I thought the rear flex line may be bad and acting as a check valve. I messed with it, checking what ever I could think of, but never really found anything. I thought it let up and started towards home again, but the brakes kept draggin. The fronts were doing it too, so now I figured it had to be in the airpack or master cylinder. I tried bleeding the air down, but that didn't help. I finally cracked the hydraulic line that leaves the air pack, and relieved the pressure. The truck ran like a whole new one, I ran it up to 65 mph on the interstate and that was only turning 2200 rpms. I did some research on here last night and narrowed it down to a sticking master cylinder or out of adjustment pushrod. It turned out to be both and then some. When I looked at the truck this morning, I had way too much free play, because the master cylinder wasn't returning all the way. I took it apart and it was like brand new inside, I didn't find anything wrong with it, but cleaned it up and it seemed to be working fine. While I had it apart, I discovered what looked like some sort of valve. I was wondering if these trucks had residual valves in them, but had no way of knowing and the brakes seemed OK when I first got the truck together. Well I turned out that it is a residual valve and it was holding 10 to 15 pounds of pressure on my disc brakes all the time. I took the valve out and reinstalled the master cylinder. That's when I discovered the push rod was adjusted too far out, not let the master cylinder return all the way in the first place. When I first got this truck from the government the brake were real touchy. You just barely touch them and you were stopping. I just thought that everything must be adjusted and working right. So now I don't have a constant drag on my truck, it can cruise in 5th gear at 45 or so only turning 1500 rpm's and it's not luggin at all.

Here is the link that I was able to figure out what that valve I found was.

remove residual valve

USMC6062

I'd like to, I'll have to see how things go. I just started with the Jacksonville fire department a couple weeks ago. I have a lot of stuff to learn and remember my first year, so I guess it depends on what I have to do that weekend.

FM5332FF

Congrats on getting highered on, I know down here the guys getting out of fire school are second to get jobs under the guys that have been layed off due to budget cuts. I'm a Firefighter Paramedic for the Fort Myers Fire Department. Just remember be the last to sit down at the dinner table and the first to get up to help clean. Also keep the cleaning stuff handy:grd:

tuff-truck-guy

ok im just wondering here if buying a deuce , somehow comes with mad fabrication skills and ingenuity, or where people learn how to do this kinda thing , i thought i was pretty good but as i see on this site i'm not even in the ball park in the skill measure, i just cant believe how amazingly clean and well designed/ built these vehicles are being done/created.:beer: :grd: