• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

52' M35A2C bobbed build thread

nk14zp

When I shortened my truck I chose not to go with a longer more expensive driveshaft. I just cut out the front of the 105 bed to clear the rear cab mount and then boxed it in with the same gage metal. It just take up about as much as a suitcase would. This way the truck is even shorter and the axle will line up with the fenderwell . The driveshaft still has to be allowed to slide back about one inch to make the axle centered in the wheel well but mine held up great , and is still doing well that way. All and all it just saves the cost of driveshaft modifications. The sheetmetal work is cheaper and easier.
That is how mine was done also.

DFD2010-A

Figured I would take a few to throw out some pictures of today's adventure. Broke down 6 395's and my 3 900's and mounted up the new 1400's. After a little learning curve things picked up and really went smooth! Couldn't have done it without Gimp though, so my thanks go out to you again brother! Truck should be done ANY DAY now....can't wait to have it in the driveway again. Have the paint and undercoat ready and waiting here too...

Attachments

DFD2010-A

I didn't do mine as he had mentioned, I modified the drive shaft. Go to his profile and look at his created threads or recent posts (under statistics), he may have posted some pictures there!

GPappy

Very nice. I hope that I can get started on my truck this winter. Have everything but the spring perches which I think I will try to fabricate.

My question is about the seats. Do you know what they came from? Looks like a nice addition to the truck.

DFD2010-A

GPappy, they were out of a charter bus as I am told and you would be correct they make the ride tremendously better. When I get out in the morning I'll snap a few pictures of how I actually got them installed, used 1/4" steel plates to match the factory holes where the springer was and welded the air rides to those plates. Gimp did something similar only mounted charter bus seats to the factory springer base....another good choice![thumbzup]

Edit------

Well there is no beating you on a reply Mr. Fast Fingers!

Last edited:

DFD2010-A

No problem! Just a tip, when Chris found mine he took dimensions as far as height and width of a stock springer base and measured them up to mine (with air in them) to make sure they would fit, definitely something to consider before buying new seats and realizing your head is hitting the roof when you get in. Keep an eye out on Ebay also for seats taken out of fire apparatus, those have similar dimensions (at least the trucks at work)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like "little Joe" got the tan treatment too! How were the bugs today? Sorry I missed your call, but I got the kraut mobile back together! It was a good day.

DFD2010-A

SHES FINALLY DONE!!!! Paint completed yesterday, undercoating finished, air ride seats installed and she was on the road last night! Thanks to all who helped get me this far, gimpyrobb, kipman, junkyard wars crusher for the use of his property to mount the new rubber, and not that they'll see this on the forum but my family, Adam and Chris and Heidi for all of their help an hours of work for beer and pizza. As I say that shes finished it's more like just getting started in my head, plenty of ideas coming in the future but the brunt of the work is finished and I can go out and cruise! :driver:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks