• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th Wheel Plate M920/M916

oldMan99

I was going to make them out of 4140 and I did not think they'd need to be heat treated. No price yet.
I wonder if the king pin or the hitch plate is heat treated? Do you have a hardness tester?

I'm not saying that the adapters SHOULD be heat treated, only that it is something to be considered. If neither the pin or plate are heat treated then I don't see the need to do the adapters. On the other hand, if either the pin or plate are HT then I think it would be an indication that the adapters should be HT as well.

Just my 2cents

Andy1234

I wonder if the king pin or the hitch plate is heat treated? Do you have a hardness tester?

I'm not saying that the adapters SHOULD be heat treated, only that it is something to be considered. If neither the pin or plate are heat treated then I don't see the need to do the adapters. On the other hand, if either the pin or plate are HT then I think it would be an indication that the adapters should be HT as well.

Just my 2cents
The 3-1/2" king pin that I saw the other day was not heat treated. I took a metal cutting file to it, and it cut easily.

Andy

oldMan99

The 3-1/2" king pin that I saw the other day was not heat treated. I took a metal cutting file to it, and it cut easily.

Andy
Well lacking an official hardness tester that time honored test is usually pretty good indicator. I have a 2" pin where I'll be tomorrow, I'll check that one and see. Looks like it might not be an issue. Thats good as it will make the parts less expensive...

fasttruck

M818s have two ea adjustable wedges that requiire a 1 1/8" wrench and a hammer to adjust: foward for on highway use and front to back oscilation only, or the the rear for four way oscilation for off road use. Various maintenac e and safety messages appeared through the years cautioning drivers to keep wedges in especially if hauling liquid cargo as various roll overs were reported using 5000 gal fuel trailers and wedges were found out for four way oscilation. And if you needed a new and amazing way to screw up ride with one in and one out.

R Racing

Looks nice ! Prototyping always takes so much time .Most People don't have a clue what it takes to make it from scratch. Once you get past the first 1 is when you wish you had a 100 more to make ;) lol

oldMan99

Looks nice ! Prototyping always takes so much time .Most People don't have a clue what it takes to make it from scratch. Once you get past the first 1 is when you wish you had a 100 more to make ;) lol
I could not agree more!

Hopefully you have CNC machines to knock them out for you.

I'm interested in probably 2 or 3 now/ASAP/Very soon and probably 1 or 2 more later.

When you figure out a price, please let us know!!

Bearpaws

I checked on Holland's web site. The replacement kingpins show a brinell hardness of 302-363. I also checked into the UK kingpin adapter UK 0866106. The parts company stated that the adapter was not to increase load capacity and for handling purposes only. No info on if it's heat treaded. I would be careful using this with heavy loads. For sure inspecting often. No safety chains on your trailers other than the emergency brake set up. I will keep the large fifth wheel on my 920 and change the kinpin on the trailer to the 3.5". Plus keeps the borrowing the trailer answer easy. Plus pulling a 80'000 pound dozer offroad the 3.5" pin sounds better. Would be nice to find all the parts to convert to the military style socket to use the dual kingpins as my traler has the open neck.

M920

I checked on Holland's web site. The replacement kingpins show a brinell hardness of 302-363. I also checked into the UK kingpin adapter UK 0866106. The parts company stated that the adapter was not to increase load capacity and for handling purposes only. No info on if it's heat treaded. I would be careful using this with heavy loads. For sure inspecting often. No safety chains on your trailers other than the emergency brake set up. I will keep the large fifth wheel on my 920 and change the kinpin on the trailer to the 3.5". Plus keeps the borrowing the trailer answer easy. Plus pulling a 80'000 pound dozer offroad the 3.5" pin sounds better. Would be nice to find all the parts to convert to the military style socket to use the dual kingpins as my traler has the open neck.
Ok, if you don't want to change the top plate on the truck, Holland offers "bolt on" kingpins that come with a weld on mounting plate for the trailer. This alows you to bolt on the 2" or the 3.5" kingpin and is DOT legal.

Oh and by the way...the commercial 2" kingpins are cerainly heat treated! You can even see the punch mark on the face of it from the tester.

In MHO I think the adapters are a good solution for emergency use....like to pick up a EMPTY trailer, when the tractor's fifth wheel does not match and I would certainly like to have one if TT makes and sells them....But I would not use the adapter as a permanent solution....Just my 2 cents worth....:roll:

Soni

Bearpaws

Ok, if you don't want to change the top plate on the truck, Holland offers "bolt on" kingpins that come with a weld on mounting plate for the trailer. This alows you to bolt on the 2" or the 3.5" kingpin and is DOT legal.

Oh and by the way...the commercial 2" kingpins are cerainly heat treated! You can even see the punch mark on the face of it from the tester.

In MHO I think the adapters are a good solution for emergency use....like to pick up a EMPTY trailer, when the tractor's fifth wheel does not match and I would certainly like to have one if TT makes and sells them....But I would not use the adapter as a permanent solution....Just my 2 cents worth....:roll:

Soni
I agree on the emergency use only. Making the kingpin change with DOT parts would be best. Do it right and avoid the Oh SH**!!!

oldMan99

Soni
Soni,

Do you remember about how much the Holland 2" plate is? You had mentioned getting us the part number before, did you happen to find it?

M920

Soni,

Do you remember about how much the Holland 2" plate is? You had mentioned getting us the part number before, did you happen to find it?
Yes, the Holland top plate new is about $900.00 brand new. There is also an aftermarket replacement available for it also that costs about $700.00 new. I will try that on the M916.
I don't have it handy right now but I did post the part number here on SS just about a week ago. It think it was in the thread with the XM747 trailer from Barstow....

Soni

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks