• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th Wheel Plate M920/M916

oldMan99

Yes, the Holland top plate new is about $900.00 brand new. There is also an aftermarket replacement available for it also that costs about $700.00 new. I will try that on the M916.
I don't have it handy right now but I did post the part number here on SS just about a week ago. It think it was in the thread with the XM747 trailer from Barstow....

Soni
As far as you know is there any advantage of the Holland one over the after market one?

M920

As far as you know is there any advantage of the Holland one over the after market one?
Yeah...the $800.00 was what I had paid a few years back....checked on one for my M916 last week and it went up....what a surpriseaua

Anyway....I ended up ordering the aftermarket one for the 916....My parts guy told me, that they sell a lot of them to the oilfield people....no complains there....so we will see...
I can get you the brand and part # on Monday.

Soni

reb87

I have been using my english adapters for a while now. Ive hauled about 30000 bushels of corn to town, thats about 34 trips with total weight of 87500 lbs and about 1700 miles of heavy use off road, gravel and paved miles, so there was a lot of twisting on the kingpin though the oscillating fifth wheel takes some of the stress off. I also used the adapter to bring home two(stacked) m871 trailers from kansas. So far ive had no issues with the adapter. I have inspected it carefully and find no looseness or cracks or signs that it is working(slipping) on the kingpin. Im sold on them.

Last edited:

Bearpaws

I have been using my english adapters for a while now. Ive hauled about 30000 bushels of corn to town, thats about 34 trips with total weight of 87500 lbs and about 1700 miles of heavy use off road, gravel and paved miles, so there was a lot of twisting on the kingpin though the oscillating fifth wheel takes some of the stress off. I also used the adapter to bring home two(stacked) m871 trailers from kansas. So far ive had no issues with the adapter. I have inspected it carefully and find no looseness or cracks or signs that it is working(slipping) on the kingpin. Im sold on them.
Hey Reb thats good news. Your certainly giving it a test. Did the adapters come with torque specs on the bolts? Do they look to be hardened? Didn't mean to step on any toes. The fifth wheel and trailer kingpin are as important as the brakes and steering etc. As you know if there is a accident and a commercial truck is involved. The commercial truck is guilty till proven innocent. The red flag I threw up on it was a warning to check these carefully as they are not offered through any kingpin or fifth wheel manufacturer DOT approved here in the states. Would like to check with you down the road as you put some more miles on these to see how they are holding up.

M920

Just let me join Bearpaws in his assurance that I have no intentions, trying to step on anybodys toes. I'm just pointing out my views on the subject and offering some alternatives.
I did research the DOT aspect some more on the NM DOT website and l found that any hitch or adapter that is being used commercialy, has to be marked with the rated capacity of the device and a manufacturers name. It did not say anything about privat, non-commercial use...
As I mentioned before, I would use them with caution but I would certainly like to buy one off of TT, if he ends up selling them.

Soni

TacticalTruck

You an bet mine will be stamped "off road use only" and my name won't be on them...;-)
Seems to me, even if the bolts were to break, the adapter has no where to go.

Jeff

TacticalTruck

I don't have a CNC lathe, just manual machines and a VMC so Monkeyboy is checking on price at his shop
to get the price down. We've been having a discussion about weather or not these should tighten up with a
gap between the halfs or snug face to face first. reb's have a gap which would make them easier to manufacture.
Pricing very soon.

R Racing

I personally think a bit of a gap would allow it to clamp on to a worn pin with no problem. If it was made without the gap and the pin was worn I believe it would snap the bolts and could jam up.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry Ive been changing injectors on the m920 getting ready for a big trip... I got the adapters from Capus in England. I bought five of them to keep in the m916 and m920 so I could keep the big fifth wheel and use on trailers with 2 inch kingpins...
I tried ordering the adapters from Capus. They are now saying that for insurance reasons they can no longer ship them to the US. However, there is nothing to stop you from having someone in the UK ordering them and then reshipping to the US.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M870 3 1/2 in King Pin dimensions

I was finally able to get an M870 trailer for my M920. It came with the 2 in pin. I figure finding a 3 1/2 in pin will be harder than finding this trailer. Therefore, I am planning on having one made. Does anyone have the dimensions that could be used to fabricate one?

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M870 3 1/2 in King Pin dimensions

I was finally able to get an M870 trailer for my M920. It came with the 2 in pin. I figure finding a 3 1/2 in pin will be harder than finding this trailer. Therefore, I am planning on having one made. Does anyone have the dimensions that could be used to fabricate one?
Good news/Bad news on the 3 1/2 inch pin. I got the dimensions for the 3 1/2 inch pin, but before I started getting one made, I decided to take a long shot and call Load King to see if they still carried them. To my surprise, the good news was that the Load King parts person told me their system showed they had one in stock (PN MP5-1639-1), but wanted to verify that it was really there. She called back about 4 hours later and said they indeed had one in stock, but it would take them a couple of days before they could ship it, It needed to be cleaned up since it had been on the shelf for so long. I got it and it is now installed on the M870. They bad news is, it was their last one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks