• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 diesel to 454 big block gas burner swap.

infidel got me

Engine is in the hole and bolted to the transmission, the motor mounts ended up lining up perfectly and bolts went in. Have the intake bolted on and the distributor back on. Tomorrow I will do the cap and rotor button, plugs and wires, valve covers, carb, and as much as possible. Hopefully have this thing ready to crank. Hopefully
Did you end up welding the motor mounts or did they bolt in? You used the 6.2 mounts or ???? I ask because this may be a project soon. Any other OH-NO pitfalls? Thanks for the post and have fun with your new monster!

rustystud

Very nice build. I bet that 454 tq with 4.56 gears will jump off the line.
My best friend has a 1986 Chevy 1 ton crewcab dually with the 454 in it. That thing is a monster and when running "premium fuel" can beat most cars off the line ! Of course he has a good cam and manifold added ! The only problem is the mileage ! When you get on it you can almost see the fuel gauge go down ! It has a 850 Holley double pumper on it and it's like flushing the toilet when your standing on it ! The feeling you get when you mash down on the "go pedal" and the duallies all start to burn rubber on all four is quite the rush ! For awhile there he would not let me drive it until I promised to stop burning up his tires ! I could not resist the temptation to make some of these "rice burners" eat my dust !
Hey even us "old farts" like to get down and bogey ! :driver:

rustystud

Did you end up welding the motor mounts or did they bolt in? You used the 6.2 mounts or ???? I ask because this may be a project soon. Any other OH-NO pitfalls? Thanks for the post and have fun with your new monster!
OK you guys need to realize this truck is the "same" as any other Chevy truck. They came factory with 454's in them so of course they will fit right in. You just need the proper motor mounts for that engine.
The only modifications to them was just a few extra brackets on the bumpers and some frame gussets and of course the 24 volt wiring system. I was able to "civilize" mine with just a few hundred dollars. New bumpers and wiring harness. Of course the 383 Hi-Torque cost a few thousand but I could have kept the diesel since they came factory with them and still had a civilian truck.

CUCVLOVER

Thanks guys.
It is very torquey. You can watch it twerk at 40mph when you open the 4 barrel haha. Fuel mileage does suck, I'm getting Maybe 8mpg. I did end up using the factory 6.2 motor mounts and turns out they did bolt up correctly. The ones Napa got me would not line up though. I had to remove some small braces from the frame and notch the top of it to make the exhaust clear. Those huge cast iron manifolds take up a lot of room.
Don't just rip out the wiring like I did. I cut the wrong wire and didn't have starter solenoid. A few minutes with the test light and I fixed since the wiring diagram I had was wrong. I removed all wait to start light bulb and unhooked the wire that feeds power from the batts to the glow plugs. If you use an alternator that's a 2 wire (one output and one exciter) just connect the exciter wire to the output. It will work fine as long as the connection is tight. Had mine come loose the other day. You will have to go electric fuel pump unless you buy a low profile pump.
The oil cooler is different from the gasser to diesel on mine. My 454 is a 89 mark 4. So I just bought a universal oil cooler and used that. Using the diesel radiator. I was able to make the lower hose for a 6.2 basically fit with some finagling, the did have to notched for the oil cooler lines, and the fan blade where close to the lower line so I tweaked the corners and it's fine. Super hose is just a flex hose. I am 99% sure it's a 28 inch with 1-1/2 on one end and 2 on the other. I can get you a part number if it's still on there if you need it.

CUCVLOVER

My best friend has a 1986 Chevy 1 ton crewcab dually with the 454 in it. That thing is a monster and when running "premium fuel" can beat most cars off the line ! Of course he has a good cam and manifold added ! The only problem is the mileage ! When you get on it you can almost see the fuel gauge go down ! It has a 850 Holley double pumper on it and it's like flushing the toilet when your standing on it ! The feeling you get when you mash down on the "go pedal" and the duallies all start to burn rubber on all four is quite the rush ! For awhile there he would not let me drive it until I promised to stop burning up his tires ! I could not resist the temptation to make some of these "rice burners" eat my dust !
Hey even us "old farts" like to get down and bogey ! :driver:
I'd like to know how he got that 850 to feed right.
My 750 edelbrock has been giving me a little trouble lately. I think I just need to adjust it, it's not liking idling right now. Trys to flood out

rustystud

I'd like to know how he got that 850 to feed right.
My 750 edelbrock has been giving me a little trouble lately. I think I just need to adjust it, it's not liking idling right now. Trys to flood out
It's been awhile now, but I know he bought the Holley Racing Kit. It came with all the different power buttons and feed hole sizes. Then it was just a matter of trying each one and see what would happen. It would still "stumble" when you tried to romp on it when it was cold, but beyond that it ran and still runs great ! The body has some severe cancer now and last time we talked about it he was looking into some "repop" body parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks