• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8 weeks and still no insurance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbovr6jetta

I read through lots of insurance threads when I realized it wasnt going to do me much good to keep reading so I started calling. I have a horrile driving record and pay more for insurance than most people pay for a car payment. I know he isnt trying to insure a deuce BUT geico commercial seemed pretty on top of things when it came to military vehicles and just wanted a GVW and estimated value and didnt seem to care about anything else. And I pay less than I do on my car

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Washington state is a bit different.

Jakelc15

I'm in maryland but pay less than $ 150 every 6 months with Allstate for my 5 ton.
It is on a historic policy but according to thier requirements you should be ok. Non commercial, not for hire, not driven every day...

They insure everything for me, I only deal with my local agent instead of corporate. I simply call and say hey it's me, I bought another one, here's the vin, thanks. They don't seem to care what it is. I even had someone hit me and total a deuce. I also just rolled a Jeep on the highway, still haven't given me the boot! :beer:

alabamafrog

Apparently there is a big difference between a duece and a 5 ton when it comes to insurance. I have contacted and begged and pleaded with State Farm, Allstate, Geico, Progressive, Farmers, and a few other independent agents. All of them flat refuse to insure a M925. BTW I have a perfect driving record, near perfect credit, and I have told these insurance companies that the one who finds me army truck insurance gets all my other insurance business to include 3 pickup trucks, 5 houses, business GL, workers comp, camper, boat, umbrellas for personal and business, etc... Thats around $10Gs worth of insurance a year and all they have to do is find me army truck insurance and so far none can do it!

Also I have spent many hours reading through all the insurance threads I could find both before and after the purchase, seemed real simple and easy and cheap to hear most folks tell it. I can't spend as much time as I'd like researching on the forum because I work an average or 12-15 hours a day.

alabamafrog

Oh and the Farmers agent who has been trying the hardest to find me insurance says that anyone who says they have one of those things insured with State Farm or Allstate or Progressive or Geico is a liar, her words not mine. I told her about the threads and info here and she said there is no way and they must be lying about it or they don't know what they are talking about.

turbovr6jetta

I do have insurance on my car. But only because washington state makes me. It doesnt however make me have insurance on my 20000 harley (well when I had one) and if I'm not required by law I would rather not pay for it. Mostly because the rates I could of bought me a few houses by now.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't leave the state with your non insured bike that you own free and clear.

F18hornetM

Oh and the Farmers agent who has been trying the hardest to find me insurance says that anyone who says they have one of those things insured with State Farm or Allstate or Progressive or Geico is a liar, her words not mine. I told her about the threads and info here and she said there is no way and they must be lying about it or they don't know what they are talking about.

My M813 is with State Farm. I know its not a M925, but both are 5-tons. It seems its more with the agents than it is with the Companies.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess we need some members from Alabama with 923 or 925 trucks to post some insurance information to help you.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got a quote for my M816 (5 ton for those that don't know 'M' #s) for the whopping sum of $ 69 a year from J.C. Taylor Inc., they need pics and my valuation, are ok with it being "as released condition" needing much resto, is registered as limited use "historic" etc., etc., and this includes the added NY fees. I did disclose no locked structure yet (as in garage). I think they realise it is not a $250,000 Plymouth Road Runner located in down town Chicago!

Good luck...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have insurance on my car. But only because washington state makes me. It doesnt however make me have insurance on my 20000 harley (well when I had one) and if I'm not required by law I would rather not pay for it. Mostly because the rates I could of bought me a few houses by now.

Do they make you get liability insurance in WA?

alabamafrog

I did disclose no locked structure yet (as in garage). I think they realise it is not a $250,000 Plymouth Road Runner located in down town Chicago!

Good luck...
JC Taylor gave me a great quote too, $75 a year for full coverage, then it changed to $80 a year, the agent had to mail in all the forms since they do not accept faxes, around 2 weeks later they mailed the forms along with a check back to me and said it had to be kept in a locked garage and it was not old enough. The agent then redone all the forms and mailed it in again this time promising to keep it in a locked garage at my farm. Apparently they did not believe this as a week later they requested a picture of it inside the locked garage. It was either JC Taylor or Gulf stream that required that I have at least one personal use vehicle newer than 10 years old with personnel full coverage insurance, which I do not have.
The quotes sounded great but now many weeks later still no insurance, hope you have better luck.

alabamafrog

According to the agent the theft issue is not about the value of the vehicle, its about the amount of liability damage that could be done by the thief with that large of a vehicle. This is also why she says no insurance company will touch it. This agent says that if the truck is stolen out of my backyard then I am responsible for any and all damages done by the stolen vehicle. Also if I have it parked at say Walmart and some one gets hurt climbing on it or something of that nature then I am also liable for any damages. Again I have contacted well over 10 insurance companies and so far only 2 have even tried to find a policy for this thing.

sparepartsracing

Mine was $1200 for the year. With commercial plates. I'm under 25 years old so classic/historic is a no go for me yet :(. But I spent over $5k on the truck so for $1200 to drive it who cares.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks