• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 now with turbo and pics.

1943ht

Thanks John, found that site last night among several and am placing my order today .. looked at e-bay and found a couple of items there to...

Hooty, found that same valve .. have determined that to be the AOAP (Army Oil Analysis Program) fill valve .. will tap into that for the turbo ..

Thanks to ALL for the assistance!

1943ht

Exhaust all tied back together and in hindsight, am going to make it all 5" pipe (Get rid of the 4" reducer and stock pipe) .. after my recover mission to GA, end of OCT. Boots, T-bolts and EGT gauge are due in tomorrow so I will get those mounted into place and install the guage.. aluminum tube is back-ordered but should ship on the 6th and then I can finish up the crossover plumbing and air-cleaner pipe and project will be complete. Fired the beast up to check for water, air and oil line leaks and the turbo sounded so sweet! Was so tempted to run her up, but don't like the thought of doing that with the air-intake open and off the filter. Can't wait to get her finished and on the road! :beer:

One final item, need to pick up some new 4" vent tube for the relocated heater

Last edited:

Hooty481

I think I am going to add a bigger fuel pump to my truck. Mine is leaking at the throttle shaft and was talking to a guy and he said that I could fix the leak but I would be better to put a different pump one that would allow for the compensation of the turbo. I will more than likely go with just a 290 pump as he said a 400 would be to much. I told him I had a number 10 button and he said the 290 pump would still do more than my pump with a number 5 button. When I get it installed I will update ad let you know how it went. What do you all think?

1943ht

Took the beast for her 1st run tonight... she runs sweet and the turbo makes a noticeable difference as I went the gears and I was pulling the lowboy "sans" load... a little disappointed on the top end speed and I'm thinking that I need to tweak the pump a bit ... temps on the EGT did not exceed 680 ... she seems to want more juice.. Any suggestions on tweaking my pump?

jwaller

you won't get any more top speed out of it at all.

you can get more hp and tq though. keep the egts under 1200, rpm's under 2200 and you can do whatever you like.

1943ht

Almost finished with my M818 "Turbo" conversion project .. have one final support bracket to install from the front of the passenger side fender to the bumper (finished fabing it up this afternoon), install my back-ordered 4" flex heater hose and the new 24V blower motor (Gotta love NAPA) as mine was shot beyond rebuild ... and then have to fabricate an aluminum intake tube that fits onto my air-cleaner to replace the field expedient one that I'm using now.. tube shipped in today and Ill get it fabricated this weekend .. lots of power running up thru the gears even when pulling my lowboy trailer ..am quite pleased with the overall performance .. next project is an AUX trany :shock: .. pics!

Attachments

1943ht

Fabricated a fender brace to support the weight of the air-cleaner relocation to the passenger side fender ......Some more pics ... nopics

Attachments

Vintage iron

Nice job 1943 HT! I like your cross over. They said it COULD NOT be done! Way to go! The fender brace is a great idea and It helps support us when we are up there too.

jwaller

looks good. keep it up. a 939 conversion should be way easier and you could use all the std cummins parts bc hood clearance is not an issue. you could even use the intercooler on the drivers side to help and run a lot of boost.

Hooty481

nice job 1943ht.... that is prety much what i did with my cross over but for some reason i didn't have enough room to do that. and it looks like my manifold and turbo and yours is the same. just wondering how much room you actually have between the hood and turbo side of your cross over pipe?

1943ht

She was tight with the prototype crossover .. but the only thing I had to do was grind a 3" swatch of the hood support bracket edge due to location .. the final crossover dimension is 1.5" x 5" and its made of aluminum materials .. prototype was 2.5" x 5" steel and though it was a tad high .. I could still get my hood closed and latched down down with just a small gap .. pipe from crossover to intake was a 4 " aluminum "U" tube that I cut at the bottom of the "U" with 1 - 90 degree silicone elbow ... that cut "U" tube gave me a lot of flexibility with placement and making the match between the crossover and intake work with very minimal materials and a nice short run and allows me the use of my cold weather starting system which I may have to use this week here :-(

Hooty481

Here is what I have put together and been running it for 2500 miles.

Did anyone block off the hole where it shows vaccum to tell if the air filter was stopped up or block off the cold start pump? I did not and was wondring if this would matter. Was also thinking about useing the line that was to show vaccum for a boost gauge.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks