• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 now with turbo and pics.

R Racing

If you come up a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch then cut a wedge in your pipe and bend it backwards towards the fire wall. then go about anothe 2 inches . cut another wedge out of your pipe , then bend it again and weld it up I belive that would do the trick.

Hooty481

has any body been able to get their exhaust to hot with the turbo on there. a guy told me that use to do this all the time that the pump and the injectors wouldn't let me get the truck to hot. just wondering what you all think?

big block 88

I hadn't thought about going remote. I like your ideas but they do sound like a bit more money than I was wanting to spend. In fact I couldn't believe how much adding the turbo as it is now cost me. I thought that since I got the turbo and exhaust manifold for only $200 that I wouldn't be in for too much $$. The cross over pipe and the exhaust tubing ended up being probably double the cost of the turbo/manifold. For those looking at undertaking this modification, beware of how much money it is going to cost.

I hear yah on the $$$$ front... But any good exhaust shop can bend you a pipe to remote mount and weld the flange on the end to bolt up the remote pipe to the exhaust manifold. Your down pipe would need to be remade, and the cross over would need reworked. The intercooler is absolutely NOT needed, but you could pick up a 6.0 Power Stroke or 5.9 Cummins intercooler from a junk yard for little $$ ( the duramax units have an odd demension to them but would most likely still be able to retro fit it).

I'm just throwing some ideas at you, your build looks killer as is. Good work

Sevin7

I assume that by now you have solved your hood clearance issue. If you are still stuck, I would recommend rotating the compressor end of your turbo toward the engine then using a 45* silicone elbow. That is how I solved the same problem.

I am not sure what you are getting at with your hot exhaust question. But if it is as simple as I think then the answer is yes my exhaust gets hot. I have burned the paint off my manifold and the turbine end. Also the exhaust piping downstream of the turbo gets pretty hot too. I hope that is what you're looking for.

Hooty481

I mean the exhaust temp. Just wondering if anybody has been able to hit 1200 degrees or more after they install a turbo. I have installed mine and it is runing and driving now. I am going to start turning the fuel up as soon as I get some of the buttons. I can get it to 1100 now with just bob tailing. I am just wondering if my truck is runnin to lean now and if that why the temp is getting hot. I didn't push it anymore than that

Sevin7

I ordered a Turbocator from the same website that other mambers ordered their's from back in May and have yet to receive it. It is listed as 'in stock' and isn't backordered or anything. They haven't returned any of my calls or texts (I can't remember if I ever emailed them). I guess I can't complain since they haven't charged my account but I am a little dissappointed. I want to order one from someone else but I am afraid as soon as I do they'll send me the one I ordered in May and I can't cancel my order since no one will answer the phone.

So anyways, I don't have any indication of EGT or boost and as a result I don't push it nor have I changed any fuel settings. It stands to reason that you shouldn't be able to exceed safety limits by just adding more oxygen, right?

Hooty481

I finally got around to turning up the fuel on my 818. i instaled a #10 button and it helped it out alot. The Egts came down when i did this. Before i was running 900 degrees runing down the road 5 gear 2000rpms and now i am at 700 degrees at the same gear and rpms. the truck runs alot better. I was a little disapointed because i am not getting any black smoke. has any bodu else put a bigger button in their truck. I was told that i need some bigger injectors and i might try to come up with a set in time.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I went down to #20. It added 4psi. EGT is low. Details are at end of my post #72. I'd like to go lower but 20psi seems like a lot w/o aftercooling. How are the head gaskets on these? Are they the same as the ones that make 400HP? Anyone know what a18psi relief valve might do to turbine speeds? It's running usually well below 20 so it would vent only a few psi during gear changes.

Hooty481

i am not sure how much boost i am pushing for the simple fact that i havent goten a boost gauge yet. i installed my 395's today and the egt went back up. it stays about 850 to 900 degrees going down the road. I still dont get any black smoke. as for the head gasket i think they will hold up to the same at the bigger engines. the boys i have talked to that used to make these engines really hot back when they has civy truck with them they use to make them crank out alot. they had several engines so it didnt matter if they blowed em up or not.

jwaller

I would get a boost gauge asap. if your going to push it till you see black smoke I'd suggest looking for a new motor right now. That means you've out run the turbo ability to keep enough air in the motor to keep it clean. At that point your prob looking at 30+psi or more and I doubt that this motor will take that for very long.

I would also guess that these engines don't have turbo head gaskets, I'm sure a new turbo set would be a good idea.

1943ht

HELP PLEASE!! Where can I purchase the hoses / elbows etc used on these turbo conversions? I have installed my turbo and repositioned my overflow tank, air-cleaner, heater, air horns etc .. I am trying to find the aftermarket hoses / lines / elbows etc for the turbo .. local Freight-Liner dealer cannot help and stated that I need to use aftermarket items ..

powerhouseduece

HELP PLEASE!! Where can I purchase the hoses / elbows etc used on these turbo conversions? I have installed my turbo and repositioned my overflow tank, air-cleaner, heater, air horns etc .. I am trying to find the aftermarket hoses / lines / elbows etc for the turbo .. local Freight-Liner dealer cannot help and stated that I need to use aftermarket items ..

You migh want to try a Exhuast shop or a Big rig supply shop. Just buy a stright section of tube and a few elbows. If you dont have a welder, you can just mark the joints and have someone weld it for you. A big rig shop would have the rubber couplers too.

1943ht

Thank you, have the wire feed welder .. just trying to find a source for silicone boots, clamps etc in the twin cities MN area .. Google search :deadhorse: was not helpful .. will work it as its the last thing I have to do to finish my M818 turbo conversion .. will post pics from start to finish when I'm done

1943ht

Turbo Oil Feed Line

Does anyone on this thread have a couple of close-up pics of the turbo oil line feed into the Cummins 250 on the M818 .. I know it hooks up on the oil pump side of the engine ... Thanks!

Hooty481

my oil supply line hooks on the fitting right on top of the oil cooler... there was a little valve there on mine with a short peice of hose on it. fir the truck up and open the valve to make sure yours is pumping oile good. just be sure to stick the little hose in a bottle or there will be oil every where.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks