• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 now with turbo and pics.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thread and good job on the conversion.. I like I like

My .o2 on the melt downs is heavy foot and need true temp comming right out of the head. You could have two pryros and watch both if you like. Heck have one for each cyl. and if you could balance each one then every piston is pulling it's own weight and no more.

Last edited:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
This image in post #100 shows rubber hoses awfully close to the turbine housing. The iron housing will start to glow red at about 975*F(in daylight). Radiant energy can jump an air gap faster and more efficiently than convection currents.

EGT can reach 1200*F and cause turbine housings to glow during hard pulls. This is hard to see because the high housing temp drops faster than you can stop and open the hood.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rene M

That's why the n14 where you got your turbo from has a 90' elbow tube clamped on. One on an n14 will **** near glow. I also like that you used a N14 exhaust manifold as well you can pick them up cheep $ 250 new. the turbo can be had for $450 new but it will not have the clamp or 90' elbow.

I was looking at doing one but with an intercooler on it. i also want to adapt a better air heater unit to the intake than a spark plug..lol

What fuel pump were you using? did you go and have a ntc 350-400 pump re calibrated with a boost control in it or just push the fuel up on the nhc pump?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thread and good job on the conversion.. I like I like

My .o2 on the melt downs is heavy foot and need true temp comming right out of the head. You could have two pryros and watch both if you like. Heck have one for each cyl. and if you could balance each one then every piston is pulling it's own weight and no more.

6 pyros. I have always wanted my vehicles to have instrument panels that look like they belong in aircraft.

bambambam22

I am in the process of doing it and I am just going to move my heater to the other side. I have not done it yet but I have seen M813 with the heater on both sides and I can not see any reason that I can not just move it to the other side. I am sure I will have to patch and cover some holes and make new ones but at this point I see no reason it will not work. If I am wrong and anyone KNOWS I am wrong and not just guessing please let me know. In fact I am going to remove the coolant type heater and install an Arctic heater unit. I have made my cab a 4 door with 10'6" inside of the cab and want the additional heater capacity.

rwbrown72

FYI. Eastern wants $5000 for this "bolt on" kit. $3200 without intake/exhaust tubing.:shock:
You can ask whatever you want. I have an 818 I'll sell for $46,999. It is really nice and even has a 5th wheel. You could buy mine and add the turbo and have a loud slow truck for $51,000. What a deal!:evil:

jollyroger

So since this older post got brought back up.......Are there any updates to the longevity of the motor and or if you need to run the IP off of the turbo motor and such?

I ask because I have an 818 and an 817 I would like to turbo and put on bigger tires for more road speed. 65 MPH would be real nice for the tractor so I can actually go more than 110 miles before I have to pee. I'm just sayin'.

jwaller

I've put over 10k miles on my truck now with no ill effects. It just gets better with age. Still haven't touched the IP settings that it came with right out of DRMO and it still runs cooler now than it did without the turbo.

bambambam22

Jwaller,

I may have been mistaken but I was under the assumption that the crossover pipe I was getting from you with the turbo kit would look something like one of these on pages 8 or 9 or 10. I am sending you this so it will link you to the thread where I first contacted you and this is where the information I made the decision to buy the kit from you with this information. I will contact you privately and discuss the rest. I do not feel that it would be fair to do that in a public forum.
Rick

jwaller

a few pics for you guys. this is my crossover pipe. it uses the original cummins pipe coming out the the turbo and across the valve covers. I then attach the same 2.5inch pipe and continue it over to the intake manifold. it may look weird but this is the part that cummins used.

it has to be tight to the valve cover to clear the hood.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks