• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 m1009 cucv chevy blazer build-up

2INSANE

Regarding that rubber fuel line under the intake, I changed mine to a new -06AN line. No more sucking air. See Post #294 in my rebuild thread -

Thank you for that info! As you posted this, I just noticed some fuel in my valley and am thinking I will have to do your modification if it is leaking from that nipple.

2INSANE

The air cleaner boxes arrived. Between the 2 models I ordered, it was a no brainer on model SPE-9831. I successfully mated the airbox to the snorkel! Because the snorkels outlet is 3” wide I used a 3” coupling mated to a 3” exhaust pipe adapter that is about 4” long and then a 3” to 4” coupling to the Airbox. I hope it will not starve the motor of air. We shall see. Looks pretty damn good and clean though!

In another note... The Optima batteries were too big for the new battery trays and kept shifting side to side on the tray when driving. I bought new smaller batteries which worked out well for making room for the air cleaner.

These huge Optima batteries are now up for sale. $200 for both +shipping! Send pm if interested.

Attachments

2INSANE

I took her for a ride yesterday on the interstate on semi level ground. It was about 86 degrees outside.

Temperature readings:

Oil Temp. Sensor location on oil pan: Maintained 220 degrees.

Trans Temp. Sensor location trans:
Maintained 220 degrees

Coolant Temp. Sensor location Coolant crossover:
Maintained 210 degrees

Oil Pressure. Location Rear driver side motor.
Maintained 45 psi

Boost. Location Upper Plenum plate.
Maintained 5.75-6psi boost at cruising speed of 55mph level ground

Pyrometer Not working... Will order new one. Lol.

So IMO, the coolant, trans and oil temps seem kinda high. I have a theory. Since the oil and trans is usually hotter then the coolant, it warms up the coolant temps because the coolers are inside the radiator. So I am thinking my next future upgrades will be an external trans and oil cooler which in return will lower my coolant temp.

What are y’all’s thoughts on my theory?

Before the swap under heavy off roading, I have seen the trans temp get up to 240 which makes shifting delay much more for the th400.

something else I wanna add is advancing the injection pump timing too much will cause overheating I noticed on either 6.2 or 6.5

Right now with the Optimizer, when I start it in the morning there is no smoke at all. Good yes. No smoke with heavy acceleration either. Questionable. Maybe more fuel is needed... thoughts? So no black smoke or any smoke of any color when heavy acceleration means 100% perfect Air/Fuel ratios correct?

Last edited:

2INSANE

Yesterday I got my first dose of maintenance on the Optimizer. 2 of the rubber injector return lines started leaking on passenger side (Turbo side) After removing the turbo heat shield and injector heat shield I was able to get access to that super tight area and replace the return lines without removing the turbo. Adding this info just incase anyone did not know it could be done without removing the turbo.

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took her for a ride yesterday on the interstate on semi level ground. It was about 86 degrees outside.

Temperature readings:

Oil Temp. Sensor location on oil pan: Maintained 220 degrees.

Trans Temp. Sensor location trans:
Maintained 220 degrees

Coolant Temp. Sensor location Coolant crossover:
Maintained 210 degrees

Oil Pressure. Location Rear driver side motor.
Maintained 45 psi

Boost. Location Upper Plenum plate.
Maintained 5.75-6psi boost at cruising speed of 55mph level ground

Pyrometer Not working... Will order new one. Lol.

So IMO, the coolant, trans and oil temps seem kinda high. I have a theory. Since the oil and trans is usually hotter then the coolant, it warms up the coolant temps because the coolers are inside the radiator. So I am thinking my next future upgrades will be an external trans and oil cooler which in return will lower my coolant temp.

What are y’all’s thoughts on my theory?

Before the swap under heavy off roading, I have seen the trans temp get up to 240 which makes shifting delay much more for the th400.

something else I wanna add is advancing the injection pump timing too much will cause overheating I noticed on either 6.2 or 6.5

Right now with the Optimizer, when I start it in the morning there is no smoke at all. Good yes. No smoke with heavy acceleration either. Questionable. Maybe more fuel is needed... thoughts? So no black smoke or any smoke of any color when heavy acceleration means 100% perfect Air/Fuel ratios correct?
Based on my experience, it sounds like you could use a little more fuel. Maybe start with a 1/8 turn on the screw and see what happens. Also, in my opinion, the pump timing should not exceed an advance of more than a mis-alignment of the timing marks of 1/16" (please excuse the Red-Neck way of explaining it). The ideal thing to do would be to purchase a pulse timing meter such as the DTI 3300-S so that you would know exactly what the advance would be and therefore could set it to book specs. And last but definitely not least, you need to keep the transmission temperature below 200 even under heavy loading. If not, the thing will not last long at all. Good luck. Great build. Keep going.

2INSANE

Based on my experience, it sounds like you could use a little more fuel. Maybe start with a 1/8 turn on the screw and see what happens. Also, in my opinion, the pump timing should not exceed an advance of more than a mis-alignment of the timing marks of 1/16" (please excuse the Red-Neck way of explaining it). The ideal thing to do would be to purchase a pulse timing meter such as the DTI 3300-S so that you would know exactly what the advance would be and therefore could set it to book specs. And last but definitely not least, you need to keep the transmission temperature below 200 even under heavy loading. If not, the thing will not last long at all. Good luck. Great build. Keep going.
Ok thank you for the advice. Since I’ve owned the m1009 the trans temps always seemed high but she has been running and shifting great over 10 years with the exception of replacing the vacuum modulator every other year or the rubber hose for it.

Do you think mounting a trans cooler in front of the radiator is the best location?

chevymike

Where is the trans sensor located? In the pan, in the trans check port, trans line? Location will make a huge difference. If in the check port or output trans line, it will always show hotter than if in the pan (which is a more average temp reading). Any location on the output side of the cooler is going to show you exactly how much heat is being made by the trans but depending on your cooler, the actual trans temp could be 20-40* lower. Since TH400 trans don't have a lockup converter, they will always create a lot of heat.

One my last Jeep Cherokee, I put a trans temp in the output line to the cooler. When the trans was not locked up, it ran 190-220* but when it locked up, it would drop to 160-170*.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter

2INSANE

I feel extremely lucky! I found a suburban in the junkyard with a 700r4 already bolted to a 6.2 diesel. 1985 model so I would not need to have a manual switch for the lockup. I’m gonna pull this sucker tomorrow and put in in the blazer for better mpg and hwy speeds. That lower 1st gear is a plus as well. Test first. If bad I’ll get it rebuilt.

Also I am Annexing the 37/12.5/r16.5 Goodyear MT take offs. On my 6th set in 10 years and each set is so old and dry rotted that they blow before they get 1/2 thread. Got new Goodyear MTR 37/12.5/R16.5 tires on the way for $190 each.

Also ordered another soft top. It is my 4th one in 10 years. They break easy. I give about 2 years of daily driving before the windows start to crack. During winter, don’t even attempt to drive it as it makes the windows so brittle. Soft topper no longer makes these tops without windows so... Expect to pay $1000+ every couple years for a new soft top. It makes you wonder if the 300 pound weight reduction and cool factor is really worth it...

Last weekend I pulled an oil cooler and trans cooler from a junkyard as well. I’ll get pics of install when done.

While I was there, I also pulled 1/4 front clip for my Sons blazer I am building. We should have this done in about 2 weeks after our vacation.

There is a cool set of Baja Claw 38.5 tires at the junkyard I might grab too.

Last edited:

LT67

I feel extremely lucky! I found a suburban in the junkyard with a 700r4 already bolted to a 6.2 diesel. 1985 model so I would not need to have a manual switch for the lockup. I’m gonna pull this sucker tomorrow and put in in the blazer for better mpg and hwy speeds. That lower 1st gear is a plus as well. Test first. If bad I’ll get it rebuilt.

Also I am Annexing the 37/12.5/r16.5 Goodyear MT take offs. On my 6th set in 10 years and each set is so old and dry rotted that they blow before they get 1/2 thread. Got new Goodyear MTR 37/12.5/R16.5 tires on the way for $190 each.

Also ordered another soft top. It is my 4th one in 10 years. They break easy. I give about 2 years of daily driving before the windows start to crack. During winter, don’t even attempt to drive it as it makes the windows so brittle. Soft topper no longer makes these tops without windows so... Expect to pay $1000+ every couple years for a new soft top. It makes you wonder if the 300 pound weight reduction and cool factor is really worth it...

Last weekend I pulled an oil cooler and trans cooler from a junkyard as well. I’ll get pics of install when done.

While I was there, I also pulled 1/4 front clip for my Sons blazer I am building. We should have this done in about 2 weeks after our vacation.

There is a cool set of Baja Claw 38.5 tires at the junkyard I might grab too.
Might wanna have that 700R rebuilt to handle the power from that 6.5 Optimizer. That trans is nowhere near as bullet proof as a 480LE or Turbo 400...

2INSANE

Might wanna have that 700R rebuilt to handle the power from that 6.5 Optimizer. That trans is nowhere near as bullet proof as a 480LE or Turbo 400...
Yes sir! I got a quote from the best transmission shop in the state of Montana and they gave me the best highest price to rebuild it in the State too! To make it bomb proof it could go from $3000-$10,000 depending on what I want done to it. Wouldn’t I be even more lucky if it was already built up?

I thought about a 4l80e and even found a couple of them in the junk yard. However after researching I come to find that the 700r4 is lighter weight and is shorter then either th400 and 4l80e which makes for longer driveshafts which gives better driveshaft angles so there is less chance of breaking them during off roading and less vibration as well.

Last edited:

2INSANE

I got the nice $10 junkyard transmission cooler on. It was super easy! I see a decrease of 20 degrees in the temp now. I feel good about it.

Also got the pyrometer working. One of the wires got disconnected somehow during install. I think I peaked it at 700 degrees climbing a 5% grade hill at 55 mph and 9 psi boost.

This Pic is on flat ground 86 degrees outside, 55 mph, 5.75psi boost and 500 degrees on exhaust temp.

Attachments

Last edited:

2INSANE

Unfortunately, while removing the grill and head light trim to install an oil cooler and trans cooler, the driver side blinker/marker casing came apart... The glue was too worn out...

The new LMC Truck hotness has arrived and as soon as he gave me the package, I installed them.

Also today while replacing a wrecked front clip on my Sons K5 Build I got another scar on my head... Perks of the job I guess... Maybe I should change my username to Scarface!

Attachments

2INSANE

Where is the trans sensor located? In the pan, in the trans check port, trans line? Location will make a huge difference. If in the check port or output trans line, it will always show hotter than if in the pan (which is a more average temp reading). Any location on the output side of the cooler is going to show you exactly how much heat is being made by the trans but depending on your cooler, the actual trans temp could be 20-40* lower. Since TH400 trans don't have a lockup converter, they will always create a lot of heat.

One my last Jeep Cherokee, I put a trans temp in the output line to the cooler. When the trans was not locked up, it ran 190-220* but when it locked up, it would drop to 160-170*.
Sorry for the late reply. Looks like the Phantom 2 transmission sensor is located above the pan on the Th400. Currently with the trans cooler I just installed, the transmission temperatures are much cooler now.

Also these good big Optima Batteries are still up for sale. $350 each brand new and am selling both for only $200+shipping!

Attachments

2INSANE

Today I picked up a set of 16/38.5/R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws with rims in exchange for my dry rotted, unevenly worn, with flat spots 37/12.5/R16.5 tires and rims+$500. Looks sexy. Wish they made more of these tires. I will use these for grocery shopping since I can’t get a spare.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Today I picked up a set of 16/38.5/R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws with rims in exchange for my dry rotted, unevenly worn, with flat spots 37/12.5/R16.5 tires and rims+$500. Looks sexy. Wish they made more of these tires. I will use these for grocery shopping since I can’t get a spare.
It looks tough just sitting there!
Almost below the basketball goal

Those tires should sling some high quantity amounts of mud!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks