• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 m1009 cucv chevy blazer build-up

2INSANE

So I've had my 1009 for about... 5 months? Havent played with the fuel or timing or anything, fuel guage does not work so I fill it up every time I am on my way home from work.

Goin about 85 miles, I keep putting in only 3-3.5 gallons per fill.... meaning 24-28 mpg...
With such drastic differences in mpg between us... I can't help but think something may be wrong on my end? I fill up till the breather is coughing up diesel...

Edit: Or is the turbo what the big difference is?
My 6.5 has much more power and torque then a 6.2. The 6.5 does not have the fuel economy that the 6.2 has.

There are many factors that are in play with mpg.

1. I have a 5 1/2” lift kit that creates more wind resistance.

2. I have 37” MTR tires that takes more power (Fuel) to get the wheels turning.

3. The Optimizer has bigger Precups allowing more fuel to pass into the cylinders.

4. 6.5 diesel truck injection pumps have bigger plungers allowing more fuel to pass.

5. Higher out put electric lift pump

6. With a 700r4 allowing faster speeds, the added speed is more wind resistance.

7. With the turbo 6.5 I can go up a 6% grade at 65 mph towing 4000+ pounds. A 6.2 can go up a 6% grade not towing at 25-45mph.

8. The 6.5 has a bigger bore cylinder, different Crank and different Cam which changes fuel economy as well.

A 6.2 with a turbo, it would have or should have better fuel economy and produce just about the same amount of power as a 6.5. That’s why the Banks sidewinder turbo is the 6.2 best option for added power.

I am positive that if I would have drove 55mph with the 700r4, my mpg would have been in the tune of 18-20mpg.

Last edited:

ssdvc

I have had an M1009 for the past 15+ years. I have made some fairly long trips (600-700 miles) up and down the east coast. At a steady 65mph I can get 20 to 21 mpg. On one trip I did see a solid 23 mpg, but I was also forced, due to heavier traffic, to stay around 55 mph most of the way.

SMG, if you are seeing 24-28 mpg with your 1009, you are very lucky and I am very envious! What size tires are you running?

SomeNewGuy

I have had an M1009 for the past 15+ years. I have made some fairly long trips (600-700 miles) up and down the east coast. At a steady 65mph I can get 20 to 21 mpg. On one trip I did see a solid 23 mpg, but I was also forced, due to heavier traffic, to stay around 55 mph most of the way.

SMG, if you are seeing 24-28 mpg with your 1009, you are very lucky and I am very envious! What size tires are you running?
32in at/mt. Was seeing 18-20 mpg with the 37in wrangler 2s.
Also use lucas injection cleaner, dunno if that is helping as well.
I also kinda drive pretty conservatively.

Edit: 6in lift, but otherwise all stock

2INSANE

Today I got the new climate control panel in and installed a new heater switch plug harness. Finally have heat! 😄

Also installed the Aluminum 700R4 pan, along with the Transmission Temperature Sensor.

When it warms up, I plan on swapping the GM1 turbo with a Holset HX35W turbo.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Today I got the new climate control panel in and installed a new heater switch plug harness. Finally have heat! 😄

Also installed the Aluminum 700R4 pan, along with the Transmission Temperature Sensor.

When it warms up, I plan on swapping the GM1 turbo with a Holset HX35W turbo.
Heat - there in Montana in particular - must be really nice this time of the year! Suprising that the cables aren't seized up too. It might be worth a little time with some WD40 or similar on those cables so you don't have to work those cast pot metal levers too hard...

2INSANE

Heat - there in Montana in particular - must be really nice this time of the year! Suprising that the cables aren't seized up too. It might be worth a little time with some WD40 or similar on those cables so you don't have to work those cast pot metal levers too hard...
Surprising, the cables are in great shape! WD-40 would prob freeze the cables in this cold weather.

2INSANE

2INSANE

Wow! That is impressive...
Almost looks like an abandoned train tunnel.
It was a tunnel built between 2 mining towns. Comet Mine which is now a ghost town with a lot of building still intact. Very fun day trip! Last Sunday we ran up to Natural Bridge Waterfall. The water was so low that I climbed down into the small cave opening where the waterfall usually shoots out the cliff.

2INSANE

Last night, I started working on the Holset Hx35w swap. The turbo is used and I took it partly apart to clean it up and do some measurements. I am thinking about sanding and polishing the Compressor housing. Today I am going to try and hunt down a oil feed line adapter. Also the wastegate is not fully shutting, might have to do a little bit of fab work to fix this issue.

Attachments

2INSANE

Compressor wheel housing all cleaned up.

Wastegate was binding itself on the edges of the wastegate flap and edge of the exhaust housing port as seen with the pencil. It was from too much slack with the neck of the wastegate.

An E clip quickly fixed this problem.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Compressor wheel housing all cleaned up.

Wastegate was binding itself on the edges of the wastegate flap and edge of the exhaust housing port as seen with the pencil. It was from too much slack with the neck of the wastegate.

An E clip quickly fixed this problem.
Nice work!
Amazing how the entire thing is held together with a $1 (disposable) c-clip.

2INSANE

I test fit the used Hx35w and found the waste gate actuator bracket was too long and hitting the firewall. The cost to replace the bracket was $150. So instead of paying a machine shop to make a new bracket, I bought a new Hx35w for $150 on eBay. I’m sure you guys have seen these before. I heard these made in China turbos are better then the Holset brand and also spool faster. This is the same turbo used by many 6.5 diesel owners and has great reviews. I will keep the used Hx35w for spare parts. Might even test fit the housing of the Holset onto the China brand. I’ll get measurements of this turbine as well and share them with yal.

Attachments

Last edited:

2INSANE

My starter ran away from me last week. Luckily I had installed quick disconnects on the batteries and got it turned off before any serious damage happened.

I started with doing the doghead starter relay mod. The OEM relay lasted me 13 years.

I removed the passenger 1/2 of the DIY4X dash. It was not to hard. Only took 30 minutes after removing the stereo and passenger side speakers for access to the nuts and bolts.

I removed the OEM starter relay and inspected it. It had some burn marks and melted plastic on the Red Cable side of the plug. I also took apart the relay to inspect the contacts. The contacts looked new and they were not welded shut. 🤔

Attachments

Last edited:

2INSANE

Being extremely careful not to break one of 3 led strips mounted to the bottom of the DIY4X dash.

I went into O’RILEYS and with luck they had the exact part number Mr Doghead recommended for a starter relay.

Mock up of the wire connectors and pillaging threw my pack rat mountains of screws…

I got the relay nicely installed and even added an extra ground wire. All the wires were good and not toasted except the very tip of the red wire which I cut off.

Excited about finally getting to do the Doghead relay, I reconnected the batteries and turned the ignition… All I got was a click from the starter relay… Bummer 😔

I do want to add that the click from the relay is loud as XXXX! Lol! 😄

I’ll drop the starter tomorrow, check the wiring and get it tested.

Attachments

2INSANE

My Warn M12,000 24v motor went out this last winter. I did a lot of research and watched a lot of rebuild videos and decided not to drop another $2,500 on a new winch but to simply just replace the motor. $350

This new motor is an upgrade for the M12,000. Even though it is a 12volt, the additional HP of this new motor will now turn this M12,000 into a M15,000 and will spool much faster.

The old motor had no seals or gaskets. No wonder why water and moisture went inside. This new motor is completely sealed with gaskets on each side and even rubber O-Rings on the bolt ends. I am hoping this one will last a long time.

It only took an Hour to replace the motor and put new grease on the spindle bearings. Everything bolted right up!

I will bolt it back up to the ORD bumper and wire it up to the 12v side terminal on the battery when the rain stops.

Edit:

I called Warn up and learned the 24v contactor #83085 will need to be replaced with a 12v contactor #81400 to make the transition from 24v to 12v on a M12,000/M15,000.

Cheapest one I could find was at Montanajacks.com. $128 Shipped.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My Warn M12,000 24v motor went out this last winter. I did a lot of research and watched a lot of rebuild videos and decided not to drop another $2,500 on a new winch but to simply just replace the motor. $350

This new motor is an upgrade for the M12,000. Even though it is a 12volt, the additional HP of this new motor will now turn this M12,000 into a M15,000 and will spool much faster.

The old motor had no seals or gaskets. No wonder why water and moisture went inside. This new motor is completely sealed with gaskets on each side and even rubber O-Rings on the bolt ends. I am hoping this one will last a long time.

It only took an Hour to replace the motor and put new grease on the spindle bearings. Everything bolted right up!

I will bolt it back up to the ORD bumper and wire it up to the 12v side terminal on the battery when the rain stops.
Wow!

Nice save and a heck of an upgrade too!

2INSANE

Getting ready for paint, exo cage and rocker panel replacements, I took off the bushwhacker fender flares and Arb Snorkel permanently. They are for sale.

Since I had to remove the blower fan to get access to one of the Arb Snorkel bolts, I decided to upgrade the blower fan to an more quiet and efficient one. It bolted right up and all I had to do was swap the fan because the one that came with the upgraded unit was too long. After sanding off the old RTV gasket materiel, I put new blue RTV on to seal the blower fan.

I plan on spot welding, grinding and smoothing out the old rear flare screw holes and replacing the front fenders before the exo cage and paint job.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks