• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'84 M1009 - Won't crank - 12v Roscommon converted

I_Publius

My M1009 will not crank.

All lights work (Gen 2 in my case)
The GP relay clicks as does the interior starter relay.
changed the starter out)and still no crank.
jump started it, but no change (batteries brand new in December)

What am forgetting to look for or missing?

I need to find my VM to check voltages, but they are packed away somewhere after our move last month...uggggg...
Anything else I can check without going and finding the VM?

thanks in advance....

PS: It is a little chilly outside this afternoon. ;)
[HR][/HR]

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do you get any noise at all when you have it in the start/crank key position?

besides the 2 mentioned?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you find your VM, have someone turn the key to the start position while you have the VM connected to the small wire on the starter, you should see 12v in the start position

I_Publius

No noise at all. Acts like it's not getting power to the starter. Crazy thing is that it was working perfectly. I was driving it , went to park it, then it wouldn't start again....

Ugggg...

Yes..Looks like I'll have to find out where that box is with the VM......

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since your truck has the Roscommon 12v conversion, you can remove the under dash starter relay and jumper the two purple wires together.

Did you install the DH relay upgrade?

I_Publius

I tried removing the starter relay and jumping the purple and red wire by inserting a paper clip in both slots. Nothing happened when I tried to crank it.

No...I never did the DH upgrade, as I wasn't sure it needed to be done with the 12v conversion in place. I have the part to do the upgrade, in one of my moving boxes...somewhere..... ;(

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. One goes to the ignition switch and the other to the starter.

Just thought of something. When we worked on the truck last year I has to replace the last 6" of the purple
wire at the starter. Possible not not likely that wire has come apart.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
You can also take a piece of wire and jumper from the big post (batt connection) on the solenoid to the small post where the small wire is connected, be ready for a bit of a spark. Are you sure you connected the small wire to the proper side of the solenoid? should be on the small post closest to the engine block

I_Publius

just tried the paperclip trick with both purple wires..nothing...

I'll try a piece of wire...just for grins, and the solenoid trick.

I_Publius

just tried a wire to jump the starter relay, but nothing....purple to purple...nothing....

tried the wire from the hot post on the solenoid to the grounding post (small wire)...and it clicked, sparked a little ....but nothing.

K9Vic

Are all your primary 0-2 gauge grounds good and clean?
Make sure the ground from the firewall block to the engine is clean and tight. Also the ground from the battery to the frame.

I_Publius

i thought it might be a bad solenoid, as well, so I purchased one last night, a cheap one (replacing my AC Delco D1777), but still had the same results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks