• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'84 M1009 - Won't crank - 12v Roscommon converted

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to walmart and buy a cheap multimeter. You need to check the voltage at the starter relay. See if you are getting 12v at the purple/white wire when the key is turned to the start position.

we need to see if the ignition switch is sending 12v to the starter circuit. It may as simple
as a blown fuse.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are going to have to check the condition of the purple wire going from the starter relay, thru the firewall and down to the starter. Since it was cut when you got it, there may be other "issues" that the county created. Even my repair might be the issue.

You will need a long piece of wire, some alligator clips and your meter.

Jumper at the starter and check the reading at the relay connector. You should have zero ohms.

E-01 - Starter system- wire.gif

I_Publius

I think I may have discovered the problem. Some genius, not mention any names, but it could be myself, was trying to work on this with insufficient light during the cold the other night, and did not hook up all the wires to the GP relay correctly.

I have two red wires, both going inside the cab, that I did not hook up. Just a guess, but I will bet money that is my problem.

Hint to others, do not attempt to work on electrical issues in the dark with insufficient lighting. You will wind up making a bonehead mistake, as I did.

Now I just need to find the schematic for this and make sure I hope the red wires up correctly.

Ugggggggh....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394031240.113216.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't remember those wires when we worked on the truck last fall. Where do they go to?

*** edit ***

Those may be going to the manual glow plug switch, which was formally the manual starter switch. You need to track them down

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GP wire attaches to the small terminal with the light blue wire. The cigarette lighter should attach to the diamond shaped 12v terminal block (if you want power all the time)

Time to test the purple wire again. ;-)

I_Publius

I will test that purple wire again. Just a clarification from my earlier post, I left those two red wires off for a reason. I knew at that time I really didn't need them, so I did not attach them.

;)

I_Publius

This truck was running fine until I took it into a car wash and had the guys deep clean my interior. It started fine after they cleaned it, but after I got home and tried to start it again later, it would not start. I did not wash the exterior, just the interior was clean. I'm wondering if something wasn't kicked loose somewhere? But if that were the case, it would not have started after they cleaned it. Correct?

I_Publius

Halfway tempted to do it. It was mostly converted when I bought it from a Sheriff's Dept in West Texas, so I just worked with some pro's to finish it up...been working good for a couple of months until this weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks