• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 M35a2 with a '66 engine? Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd upload a thread of pics for you all if I knew how, but I took 20 something pictures.. gas tank rot, frame rot, body rot, ripped 'new soft top,' no working lights, actually one headlight works...worked.. rather. lol. cracked 'new' window glass..rotted seals. rotted tires... wood block chocks as a lift and bed rest.. HMMM...brakes have ZERO sensitivty, trans grinds in every gear. two functioning gauges, every gauge painted over... broken air tank drain plugs .. air tank spews oil all over.. rust is EVERYwhere.. holes in floor pans... no horn...NO parking brake..he said it didn't fit with the 'new' SRT leather seats...(they're ripped at the seams), ...so he removed the whole brake...? Rotted out radiator... all hoses and electrical wire dry rotted through.. rusted out intake ..you name it I got it :) .. spent 5k in repairs thus far... needs a whole paint job though..a real one.
How to post pictures-a tutorial go to post #33 for updated info.

towstrapp

Hi my name is nathan and i am the owner of florida military surplus. We built the tan bobber for chris. We are a fabrication shop not a dealership and specialize in customizing ex military trucks and mud trucks. I have sold 7 trucks on ebay now and every buyer other than chris either asked for high resolution pictures or called and asked a number of questions. While this bobber was on ebay the only question chris had was about shipping. Chris sent me a text message last saturday within hours of the truck being delivered that he wonted a 1200 refund or he would leave a bad feedback on ebay. I simply asked him to send pictures even though i thought his number was kinda funny. He was alittle less 1000 miles away and shipper charged 125 per mile that's 1200. This was last saturday 7-6-13. I recieved no contact till friday 7-12-13 with a list of things wrong still no photos though. Then last night i get a call at 11pm telling me i need to go on steel soldiers and check out this post. I never one time told chris i would not fix the things that were wrong with this truck. Its obvious that we overlooked a number of things on the truck and he is not happy with the truck. We are not in business to rip people off we are in business to put smiles on peoples faces. As for the deal with the data plate not matching the vin on frame i was not aware of this or did i have any reason to assume it was different. I am simply asking chris to send me pictures to my email. If vin is different than data plate i will buy the truck back from him for the 12600 he pay. We buy things with cash and only accept cash or check on items over 10000. I will be back in town on 7-19-13 and if chris want to return the truck he can send it back and i will hand cash to him or my shipper will be in nj in august and he could be picked up the truck and the shipper will pay chris. I don't understand why he would need to get a attorney involved im not hiding and im trying to work with him. I also don't understand how in a weeks time someone could spend 5000 for parts on one of these trucks. The reason why most people buy these trucks is because of how cheap the parts are and how easy they are to work on. We are doing our best to resolve this matter with chris but it is very difficult to solve a problem when the only form of communication the buyer will use is texting and emails. I have told them multiple times i would prefer to talk on the phone. I dont see a need for this type of drama to be posted on steel soldiers especially when the transaction did not happen on this site.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My data plate is false. I found the vin on the frame rail but where exactly do I scrape off paint to find the registration/hood number? I searched all over and cant seem to find it

Thanks
Registration number on hood is not something to worry about as hoods are swapped all the time, but when you found the Vin # on the frame where exactly is it? The only reason I ask is many folks in the past thought they had it only to discover it was the part number for the frame, not the Vin. Also a picture would help.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Do we have a drumming fingers smiley?

Some of these questions could have been resolved by reading post 1 on the VIN INFO thread. How many times have I told people, frame number counts not the dash plate and that registration numbers(what some people call hood numbers) have NO civilian correlation.

There is still value for going and reading post 1.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You BET , like a said , a mess , he said ,she said and the attorney is involved . You NEED to be well informed before YOU BUY ANYTHING !

sandcobra164

For the OP, I'll toss out there that mine is a 71' but has a engine that was factory built in '92 and that is how it came from GL. The truck could be a 86, blew it's engine earlier in life and the 66' motor could have been rebuilt by the military and installed in that truck in that motor's "current" configuration. The multi' lived a long life and with exception of the 5,000 motors they bought in the late 80's early 90's, they've all been around for quite sometime. I'll break it down even further. Say your truck was still in the military and blew it's engine. The mechanics will check it over, determine what's wrong and order a new engine. They order it by using the National Stock Number that is assigned to that engine. What they will receive in the container will be NSN ______blank. It will be a "New" _____blank. It is perfectly possible to have a core that was originally new and then later rebuilt 66' model motor in an 86' model truck.

As for the other stuff I read, that sucks but I also read that the guy that sold you the truck want's to talk to you about it. I don't stand on either side of the fence until I read more from both sides. I've never sold a bad truck but I've never sold one that the potential owner didn't go over before money changed hands. I'm more critical of my stuff and I always point out what I consider "bad point's" of a truck I'm trying to sell. That save's problem's later on I guess. I've never sold a Deuce or anything for that much money. 12,600 before shipping. Man I'd drive you a nice truck to NJ for that much!!!! Most of mine go in the 3 to 4 range but they're not bobbed and I've not sold anything in about 2 years.

ctappan94

For the OP, I'll toss out there that mine is a 71' but has a engine that was factory built in '92 and that is how it came from GL. The truck could be a 86, blew it's engine earlier in life and the 66' motor could have been rebuilt by the military and installed in that truck in that motor's "current" configuration. The multi' lived a long life and with exception of the 5,000 motors they bought in the late 80's early 90's, they've all been around for quite sometime. I'll break it down even further. Say your truck was still in the military and blew it's engine. The mechanics will check it over, determine what's wrong and order a new engine. They order it by using the National Stock Number that is assigned to that engine. What they will receive in the container will be NSN ______blank. It will be a "New" _____blank. It is perfectly possible to have a core that was originally new and then later rebuilt 66' model motor in an 86' model truck.

As for the other stuff I read, that sucks but I also read that the guy that sold you the truck want's to talk to you about it. I don't stand on either side of the fence until I read more from both sides. I've never sold a bad truck but I've never sold one that the potential owner didn't go over before money changed hands. I'm more critical of my stuff and I always point out what I consider "bad point's" of a truck I'm trying to sell. That save's problem's later on I guess. I've never sold a Deuce or anything for that much money. 12,600 before shipping. Man I'd drive you a nice truck to NJ for that much!!!! Most of mine go in the 3 to 4 range but they're not bobbed and I've not sold anything in about 2 years.
The frame matches with a 66, as do both axle tags. I know 12,6 is absolutely high; however I purchased it with the confidence that it was fully restored... I'm calling the seller tomorrow. It's not an 86 because the data plate is false. Also, VIN was lower left of front area of frame, near steering box. I also sent the seller pictures despite his claims. He failed to work with me on anything, actually. I asked the moderator to delete his post as I feel it's inappropriate to be posting a rebuttal when I kept his name hidden. Actually, he was rude enough to tell me he was done talking to me and insisted that my parents call him...... I'm 20 years old........I don't believe he's sold any trucks on Ebay given his lack of feedback or a working website. As I said, I'm calling him tomorrow. Despite his claim of "I'd fix what's wrong with it," I actually have records of him stating "not my problem" - Difficult to re-write history when I have documentation of it. If this doesn't end up getting settled smoothly, I will absolutely post an entire thread of feedback, pictures, and all acquired documentation.

Thank you for everyone's support!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I asked the moderator to delete his post as I feel it's inappropriate to be posting a rebuttal when I kept his name hidden. Actually, he was rude enough to tell me he was done talking to me and insisted that my parents call him...... I'm 20 years old........I don't believe he's sold any trucks on Ebay given his lack of feedback or a working website. As I said, I'm calling him tomorrow. Despite his claim of "I'd fix what's wrong with it," I actually have records of him stating "not my problem" - Difficult to re-write history when I have documentation of it. If this doesn't end up getting settled smoothly, I will absolutely post an entire thread of feedback, pictures, and all acquired documentation.

Thank you for everyone's support!
I had locked the thread until discussing it with other mods and the opened it back up. If you are going to call someone out then you can fully expect a rebuttal. Sounds like he is willing to work with you.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The frame matches with a 66, as do both axle tags. I know 12,6 is absolutely high; however I purchased it with the confidence that it was fully restored... I'm calling the seller tomorrow. It's not an 86 because the data plate is false. Also, VIN was lower left of front area of frame, near steering box.
My intent is not to take up for anyone but I gotta state...

There are numerous times we've told members the axle tags or engine mfg dates (and any other part mfg date) doesn't mean squat. The only sure way to determine mfg date for civilian registration purposes is to look at the serial number embedded in the frame. All A2's to my knowledge were mfg with serial number is on the drivers side above the axle. If it was a REO or A1 converted to A2, there is a higher probability that the serial number is on the right side above the axle.

When I research vehicles, I could give a #$@% about axle and engine tag numbers...they don't mean #$%@. Stick to the frame serial number as a fact for mfg date, consider the dash plate as evidence, and dump the comments on axle/engine/transmission/tarp/bearing nut/tire/set screw etc etc etc mfg dates.

Also, don't just automatically assume the seller swapped data plates. GL sells lots of truck (albeit only a minority) with incorrect data plates. The old time supply sergeants used the data plate swap as a means to fix errors in their property records more than one. He may have gotten it that way also. Was he wrong is not checking the data plate against the frame? Absolutely, but again, I wouldn't just assume he did it to screw you over.

Last edited:

ctappan94

My intent is not to take up for anyone but I gotta state...

There are numerous times we've told members the axle tags or engine mfg dates (and any other part mfg date) doesn't mean squat. The only sure way to determine mfg date for civilian registration purposes is to look at the serial number embedded in the frame. All A2's to my knowledge were mfg with serial number is on the drivers side above the axle. If it was a REO or A1 converted to A2, there is a higher probability that the serial number is on the right side above the axle.

When I research vehicles, I could give a #$@% about axle and engine tag numbers...they don't mean #$%@. Stick to the frame serial number as a fact for mfg date, consider the dash plate as evidence, and dump the comments on axle/engine/transmission/tarp/bearing nut/tire/set screw etc etc etc mfg dates.

Also, don't just automatically assume the seller swapped data plates. GL sells lots of truck (albeit only a minority) with incorrect data plates. The old time supply sergeants used the data plate swap as a means to fix errors in their property records more than one. He may have gotten it that way also. Was he wrong is not checking the data plate against the frame? Absolutely, but again, I wouldn't just assume he did it to screw you over.

frame date is equivalent to a 66.. Again... And data plate matches the title that was created AFTER i purchased the truck. So yes, fishy. And no moderator, i would not expect a rebuttal as I DID NOT mention the seller by name

towstrapp

ctappan how did you not expect me to respond. What do you honestly wont from me. In my last post i said i would buy the truck back if vin on frame was differnent from the data plate. Lets make this simple you arent happy with the truck and im sick of this drama. I will buy the truck back plane and simple. Send the truck down to me or i can have a shipper up there in august. Im sorry if i insulted you by saying have your mom call me. We wernt talking though we were texting and your mother was who wrote the check to me not you. Allot of the steel soldiers member in florida know me and they also know im alittle old school. I deal with cash and talk to people on the phone or preferrably in person.I dont like to text and not very good at this internet blogging. Not saying there is anything wrong with texting and blogging just not my style. I called you earlier today and left a message before i mad my post. For some reason you can keep posting thing on steel soldiers but cant just call me. I really dont get how you think. You had this truck delivered 1 week and 1 day ago and say you have spent 5000 dollars in parts. Did you not think at some point maybe you should wait accouple weeks and figure out whats gonna happen before your spending thousands in parts.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Come on you two, how ablout BOTH of you take this as close to FACE TO FACE as you can like MEN, back and forth on SITE gets nothing done. I have more thoughts but that has been covered already.

5tontiny

It's funny that some one would spend such an amount of money with out inspection. I've seen the truck an Drivin it an i thought it was a nice truck. I have also bought a truck from this same person an my experience was good an he was more than far with me. I've aslo have owned a few trucks my self. an even bought some from the Government direct an every one of them have had rebuilds an incomplete paper work. you need to be kickin your self in the ass for not inspecting the truck prior to paying for it . YOU MADE A BAD DECISiON an should not been trying to hang some one out to dry that even offered to buy it back ! I wouldnt give you a DIME BACK .

ctappan94

It's funny that some one would spend such an amount of money with out inspection. I've seen the truck an Drivin it an i thought it was a nice truck. I have also bought a truck from this same person an my experience was good an he was more than far with me. I've aslo have owned a few trucks my self. an even bought some from the Government direct an every one of them have had rebuilds an incomplete paper work. you need to be kickin your self in the ass for not inspecting the truck prior to paying for it . YOU MADE A BAD DECISiON an should not been trying to hang some one out to dry that even offered to buy it back ! I wouldnt give you a DIME BACK .
though I respectfully disagree, you are free to have that opinion and I'm glad you gave the input.However, you should note that with an attitude like that, globalization of anysort would not exist and you would likely not be typing on the computer you're typing it. Buyer's expect a sort of accountability, but then again - this is your opinion and it's great you have one.

Last edited:

5tontiny

Your right I do have my own. Just like when i have a problem I handle it on my own. not going around on the web putting the people I have issues with on Blast. before you have givin them the chance to make it right.. a person like you should not have a military truck . you need to go buy a New Ford or Chevy 1ton if you are expecting a perfict truck I have been to rally's an show's an lots of my friends have truck an I dought any of them would meet your expectations.

ctappan94

Your right I do have my own. Just like when i have a problem I handle it on my own. not going around on the web putting the people I have issues with on Blast. before you have givin them the chance to make it right.. a person like you should not have a military truck . you need to go buy a New Ford or Chevy 1ton if you are expecting a perfict truck I have been to rally's an show's an lots of my friends have truck an I dought any of them would meet your expectations.
Maybe you need to go to page 1 of the thread and read from the beginning before you start putting out such aggressive commentary. This began as me asking fellow members WHY my truck's info didn't match. Everything else came thereafter. Check yourself. You don't need to tell me what sort of vehicle I have to buy; thank you though, really! You don't have a leg to stand on as you weren't a part of the seller's and my conversations. There was no 'making it right' - so how bout you stay out of it; you're biased as you know the seller. Thank you. I handled this completely on my own; posted to this site for advice- they figured it out on their own who the person was that I was referring to. Again, check yourself.

5tontiny

None of them Match thats what you dont get ! The Government mixes an matches all kinds of **** ! the guy that sold you the truck never even had a reason to check it . the guy b4 him could have done it or known why.. . so you check you self or should i say CHECK WHAT YOU BUY !!! B4 YOU PAY SO MUCH !

Status
Not open for further replies.