• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A boat load of MEPs comming

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Searching through a nonpublic surplus website for municipalities, I see that Pennsylvania has over 400 Mep-803s that should be hitting public auctions sometime soon. It will probably take a few months to get through the system after "us municipalities get their pick" but there will be plenty for all. Some are mounted on trailers but the majority are not. Good luck and keep your eye on both auction sites this spring.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, I am no expert, but all the gen sets I saw in one of the auction sites, this last sunday morning, were more or less junkers. I haven't looked at them all, but the ones I did look at, well, sad, sad. So if you people are going to bid on them, take a REAL good look. Study the pictures. Lots of wires hanging down. Lots of missing parts. Lots of damage to the doors and side panels. Lots of gen sets with the first version S-1 switches. And on, and on.

It's always a bad sign when scores of screws, nuts and bolts are missing. When an access panel should have 10-15 screws holding it in, and only has 4-5, well, don't be surprised when it wont work. The only way to really know, is to lay hands on, and I know that's not easy for most of you. Please refer to the several horror stories we have had of late, in SS. Let the buyer beware.

Firebrand

Thanks for the heads up. I am looking for another -803A for a friend. I lucked out with my purchase as I scored one with a 2012 Reset and only 95 hours with 60psi oil pressure!

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they staying in PA, or are they out sourcing to other states?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I have no clew what will happen with them. I don't think the government will move them around to different sites just to make it convenient for the public. I was up to Ft Drum last fall and actually saw the batch of 802s & 803s they just sold to the public a few weeks ago. It took about 12 weeks before I saw them listed on GL so there should be a good chance you'll see them listed on GL & GP @ Pa. this spring.

Last edited:

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the photos I saw they had them dbl stacked, never saw that before. If they sell them in place as stored I would look to the top stack. The bottom row I am sure there will be encloser and exhaust flapper damage. I think GL will also be involved because there were dozens of them on trailers.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably coincidental, because I'm no where near PA, but when I picked up a trailer earlier this month from GP in Albany, GA the guy in the yard said that there were a bunch of generators coming for auction soon.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably coincidental, because I'm no where near PA, but when I picked up a trailer earlier this month from GP in Albany, GA the guy in the yard said that there were a bunch of generators coming for auction soon.
I think they are dumping the MEPs because they are being replaced by the next generation gensets. But if they start selling in large lots the prices should be better for all of us. I want a an 803a for my own house but i didnt want to spend much north of 1K for a low hour unit. here in NY "Ft Drum" a decent stand alone unit goes for over 2K. The 804 and 803 trailer mounted units with low hours that I picked up for the county cost $900 & $700 respectively through the NYS Federal surplus program. They charge between 2% & 5% of the original Federal cost in processing fees on smaller donations.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where can I find this Information? How many 802's and 803's were manufactured for the Military? History, Versions, Dates Made, Etc.

Guyfang

Staff member
Where can I find this Information? How many 802's and 803's were manufactured for the Military? History, Versions, Dates Made, Etc.
Send a FOI, (Freedom of Information) request to DOD. Works like a charm. I didnt even send the FOI. Just sent a request for information on the SR-71 to the CIA, and bingo! Got a huge envelope in the mail, with more info then you can believe!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks