• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a2 and a3 in snow

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
many thanks for the videos and the pics. gotta love the snow... i dont quess ill ever drive it that much at all:drool: over the A3:mrgreen:

WyoDeuce

So I was out playing in the snow with Bobski today. The a3 does better in the snow. It's the tires for sure but the auto tranny seems to help keep from spinning tires and lets you creep uphill better. I have a set of DHT traction tt's on the front of my m35a2ww and they are better than the NDT's. I think that a full set of the DHT's would be allmost as good as the A3 but the Michelins float up on the snow much better. These trucks will both go through tons of powder but the hardpack drifts are much harder to drive through.
Tires for sale at discount prices
Not sure on the price here but it was the first place I found them. Mine came from a trade. I guess they end up on a lot of fire trucks and have a higher load rating than a NDT.

oldMan99

In the picture below….

What is that white camouflage covering material?

It almost seems to have been poured into place or something.

Looks like it is pretty effective at hiding trucks, cars, buildings, fire hydrants, slow moving old people…

Is that some sort of top secret military camouflage system or what?

What do they call that stuff?

Is it difficult to apply and maintain?

Is it expensive?

Where can I order some?

What would the shipping cost to get it to me here in FLORIDA?

Let me know so I can see about ordering some after I swim my laps in the pool in the morning...

:cool::cool::cool:

Attachments

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At first, I thought you were trying to get an automatic coupler to engage on the M105 :p.

I would have thought with the engine and winch weight over the front axle, the front tires would have helped a lot if you engaged it.

dittle

In the picture below….

Looks like it is pretty effective at hiding trucks, cars, buildings, fire hydrants, slow moving old people…

Is it expensive?

Where can I order some?

Let me know so I can see about ordering some after I swim my laps in the pool in the morning...

I seem to remember a day several years ago where it was warmer in Anchorage than in Miami. Be careful what you ask for....you may get some of this camoflage.

nk14zp

In the picture below….

Is it expensive?

Where can I order some?

See my avatar.Just move north.

lonegunman

I ran my A3 thru a foot of snow to get it out onto the road a few weeks ago, it did fine with just the rears, better with all axles engaged. On slippery roads it was not a lot of fun but ran great. I think dumping a yard of gravel in the back would help with its snow performance.

rwoods

I ran my A3 thru a foot of snow to get it out onto the road a few weeks ago, it did fine with just the rears, better with all axles engaged. On slippery roads it was not a lot of fun but ran great. I think dumping a yard of gravel in the back would help with its snow performance.
A little weigh in the rear certainly helps my A3 in the mud, so I would agree that it should likewise help in the snow. Ron

Josh

Either I was very lucky when it came to playing in my A2 in the snow, Or a few chains really makes a big difference. I was driving down a "maintained" forest road last time I went up in the mountains and was blazing fresh trails through at least 2-3ft of snow. Most of the time my bumper was touching the snow. Even coming to a complete stop and then going again, it never had any trouble getting itself moving. I didnt air the tires down, all I had was a set of a chains on the front axle and rear-rear.

This was the only picture to come out clear and it was from playing in a parking lot earilyer that night.

Attachments

WyoDeuce

Either I was very lucky when it came to playing in my A2 in the snow, Or a few chains really makes a big difference. I was driving down a "maintained" forest road last time I went up in the mountains and was blazing fresh trails through at least 2-3ft of snow. Most of the time my bumper was touching the snow. Even coming to a complete stop and then going again, it never had any trouble getting itself moving. I didnt air the tires down, all I had was a set of a chains on the front axle and rear-rear.

This was the only picture to come out clear and it was from playing in a parking lot earilyer that night.
The chains make a huge difference. When it is fresh snow you can go through 2-3 feet just fine. Drifted hardpack is where you see the real difference between the a2 and a3. Once the axle is pushing snow the a3 is noticeably better.

I used the CTIS on an a3 last night in the snow. I went and got stuck in a drift and put it into emergency mode and managed to back out. Cool system if you have one that works good.

oldMan99

The chains make a huge difference. When it is fresh snow you can go through 2-3 feet just fine. Drifted hardpack is where you see the real difference between the a2 and a3. Once the axle is pushing snow the a3 is noticeably better.

I used the CTIS on an a3 last night in the snow. I went and got stuck in a drift and put it into emergency mode and managed to back out. Cool system if you have one that works good.
So what exactly does it do in "Emergency mode"?

bobski

will post more soon I hope! This was with 35 PSI. in the tires.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udbCM4K4rC4[/media]

bobski

Here are some more vids of the a3s in the packed snow drift about 3-4 feet deep.

All I can say is that when you come to a drift in an m35 a3 go fast and dont stop! I found out that if you think your stuck dont stop and keep going. You go very very slow with all tiers spinning, but most of the times you will get out.
Now when the drift is hard pack and over 3 ft deep you cant go no where after you sink in,(go fast) chains would not help you out!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9B0-rp9dIA[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks