• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC 60G glow plug issue

etech

well then i will order those.and use the ac13g's for my spares in my spare box for mexico. but will be pulling for the relay from the front battery to ensure this dose not happen again... this sucks. also i think i'll be ordering a glow plug puller and keeping it in my mexico tool bag too just in case.

ryan77

I'd check the voltage at the glow plug and see if it's being supplied with 12 or 24 volts. If it's 24 volts you should be fine as the HUMVEE used 24 volt glow plugs.
Its going through the resistor so theres 12 volt going to them i guess i will replace them!

etech

ya that is a good idea to check other wise you will be like me and trying to get 8 angry puffed up
plugs out... on another note I ordered the jj and a tool just a few min ago.

sandcobra164

I just replaced mine with the AC 60G's. 5 of the SWellenman's need extraction help with the OTC kit, just put them in about a month ago. I also did the recommend resistor bypass this time, replaced the connector's to mate up with the new glow plugs and all is well on this 2 acre's. I also put a HH back on a buddy of mine's Deuce today, about 3 hours' of actual work between the 2 trucks, lot's of satisfaction. For those afraid to bypass the resistor, it's easy. Pull the 3 bolts holding it on the firewall, take the main feed wire from the insulator on the Passenger side, pull the 1/4 inch bolt from the resistor feeding the glow plug relay, drill the connector out about two size's larger, use a 10MM socket to break loose the connection on the passenger side of the main bus on the driver's side of the firewall, put that connector you just drilled on there and you're good to go. My truck started just like a new one, which he should as he only has 4,400 miles on him!!! I think I had an old tired resistor to help burn through 16 glowplugs so quickly. Problem solved tonight, 60G's should be fine!!!

ryan77

I'd still check the voltage. The resistor 'could' be shorted. How does it start?

Starts ok in 40 degree weather! If there 24 volt like you said then im only getting 12 volts to them they cant be working to full potential! I will switch them to ac60's im going to half to switch every connector though. I wonder why they used a hummer harness on the motor instead of the m1009 orginal harness????

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AFAIK they will not be 24V. They will be reduced to 12V. I just replaced mine not 5 hours ago with the 60G's. was taking me a good 12-15 seconds of cranking to get the engine started. I got all 8 replaced, wait light is a little bit longer, starts IMMEDIATELY! Surpassed my expectations. It's sub 40 right now. Can't wait to see 20's tonight to see if it's the same.

Last edited:

natemccabe

This has got me thinking mine are kaput, thought it was just cause it was so **** cold, but the above made me want to go out nd get new plugs

etech

so my new plugs came in, and the plug extraction tool came in, (I am impressed with the jj and a racing glow plug tool, works like a champ) pulled all 8 open and swollen plugs. chased the threads and used a shop vac just to be sure, however i doubt it was needed, I could not see or feel any resistance from the tap. Installed my new plugs. disconnected the passenger side terminal from the passenger side bus bar, removed the resistor. Took the drivers side terminal off the resistor and connected it to the drivers side bus bar, tested voltage at the plugs, got 12.6vdc, no longer 25.8vdc, Reconnected all the plug terminals, turned the key, wait light came on and stayed on for about 20sec. went out cranked it over, and Vrooom clack clack clack clack. She's back in business boys, thanks for all the help.

Herls

The ac60's have a standard 1/4" wide male blade terminal.

The stock cucv wire terminals are too small/narrow to fit on the AC60's.(you can either grind the gp terminals or change your wire terminals to a standard 1/4" wide terminal). If you change your wire terminals to a standard 1/4" female blade terminal, they will work just fine with either AC60's or the Wellmans.

I think it's a good idea to convert your terminals to new insulated 1/4" wide female terminals. You must remember, just one bad connection with the stock wiring and you will have GP failure, which will cause more gp failures!

New terminals are just a bit more insurance that your system will function well for a long time.
Hey. Sorry to reply to a comment you made over 10 years ago

The female 1/4 insulated wire terminals.... can you post me a link to what they look like / where I can buy them? I know absoutely nothing about wiring and don't want to just type that into Google and buy the first thing I see.

Putting in 60G plugs because my M1009 has a bunch of aftermarket stuff (AC installed, sound system, etc) and was converted to a 12V system. I've been told that since my M1009 has a push button for the glow plugs and all of that that I should use 60s

87cr250r

If you can find a newer 6.5 diesel truck they have porcelain terminals. The Packard 56 terminal inside the porcelain holder can be removed and replaced. I installed them on my truck. These fit 1/4 inch spades.

Attachments

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey. Sorry to reply to a comment you made over 10 years ago

The female 1/4 insulated wire terminals.... can you post me a link to what they look like / where I can buy them? I know absoutely nothing about wiring and don't want to just type that into Google and buy the first thing I see.

Putting in 60G plugs because my M1009 has a bunch of aftermarket stuff (AC installed, sound system, etc) and was converted to a 12V system. I've been told that since my M1009 has a push button for the glow plugs and all of that that I should use 60s
doghead has been off the site for a while now and won't be able to respond.

You can get the insulated 1/4" female spade terminals at any auto parts store or Amazon

AIRIC Female Spade Connector 16-14 Gauge 100PCS Nylon Fully Insulated Female Wire Quick Disconnects Spade Terminal Connectors Blue
Visit the AIRIC Store

Amazon's Choice for "wire terminal connectors"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks