• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

adding a winch to a non-winch truck

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
It's done! (well, almost need to find the pto shifter lock)
I installed the pto and clearanced the bell housing for the shaft, and installed the shaft (big time pain)
the one thing I would do differently is to set up the pto/shaft without the winch on the truck.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
realisticly I have about 5 lazy saturdays involved in the process (counting removal from donor & sandblasting/painting peices) It took a lot longer as I also cut up a deuce, made a a few pretty long trips hauling/retrieving parts, and swapped the deuce to an airshift among other things.

houdel

Joel - Interesting point on the two holes in the bumper. Mine has them also. Are they on all deuce front bumpers, or just winch trucks? According to the first four digits of my serial number (0539), my truck is SUPPOSED to be a winch truck, but it is not; my data plate has the 0539 stamped in it but the data plate says WO/W and it also has the -1616 NSN for WO/W. The data plate also gives my empty weight as 13,000 lbs, not 13,030 an most WO/W Deuces. Think somebody shorted me a few parts when if was rebuilt at Toelle?

I tried looking for the same two holes on pics of Rizzo's front bumper, but he has so much mud up there I'd doubt you could see a 6" diameter hole in his bumper!

Attachments

ida34

Aren't those holes about the width of a convoy sign? Just a thought. I never saw them bolted on but I guess it is possible.

Armada

I've got those holes in my front bumper too. The bumper is original to the truck (a 1971), and it wasn't a winch truck. I added the winch later along with other updates. Those bumper holes actually came in handy. I added heavy tow hooks (that came from some other kind of military vehicle) to the front bumper. There are 2 mounting holes in each hook, so I used the original hole in the bumper for one mounting bolt, then I only had to drill one more hole per hook.
The pics show the bumper w/holes, and the other is the duece as I got it from the drmo.
Last one shows the tow hooks (one on each side of bumper). Makes a good place to hang the winch chain.

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
bigkaiser said:
Joel,
I finally found the special shouldered bolts from Sam Winer in Ohio 330-628-0948 (Robert Zetzer) I think he charged me about 25 bucks for a set (6 long / 6 short) I have a drawing with dimensions if you need it....pm me
Don

mtech

My winch showed up today, waiting on PTO and extensions/brackets. Hope to get started soon. Will try and post pics as I go, to help the next guy with the questions I have had. Have found a lot of good info on this site already, but there always seems to be something missing.

jesusgatos

I just made arrangements to buy a gasser winch truck, but it's about 250 miles away so I'm trying to decide whether to try to drive/tow it home or just pull/swap the parts I need (complete winch setup and hardtop). The owner will let me keep the truck there for a while if I want to just pull parts now, and I don't have a tow-bar. He said it ran when he parked it, but I've got a feeling I might end up pleading for help on SS if I go that route (help! I'm broke down on 97...). So what tools and parts would I need to take with me to pull the winch?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
except for dealing with the weight of the components you don't need anything more than a decent set of hand tools (wrenches & a socket set) air tools would definately speed things up though.