• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Dryer for an M35A2

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats still a LOT of money there guys. Get an air dryer off someone parting a truck out(the 939 series use the pure air plus too) and get the rebuild kit. You'll be into it for about $200.

rustystud

The only reason I posted that about the "AD9" is that parts are everywhere for this air dryer. All of our busses except the very latest use this dryer. It has stood the test of time as a very good unit. The parts are cheap and plentiful. You can also buy the heating unit replacements in either 12 or 24 volts ( the heating unit keeps the purge valve from freezing).

gimpyrobb

I completely understand, for me it is a price point. I got what I wanted and the price was right. Having options is a good thing. I just wanted the boys to know the 939 series used the pure air plus too.

welldigger

Is that with mounting brackets and wiring harness? The site I posted has the bare unit for 200. I ask because they don't specify much detail on the site you posted. I suppose I could call but at the moment I'm dealing with more pressing issues than an air dryer. (Dead alternater for one)

shenkmen

I have a brand new Haldex PURest to install on my M35a2. Found it for $250 on ebay.

While discussing the install with a member he indicated an "air filter" would now be required. The installation instructions do not mention the need for this.

Thoughts?

Thanks all.

rustystud

Is that with mounting brackets and wiring harness? The site I posted has the bare unit for 200. I ask because they don't specify much detail on the site you posted. I suppose I could call but at the moment I'm dealing with more pressing issues than an air dryer. (Dead alternater for one)
The Part #KD65225RO has the bracket for $192.95 but I don't know about the wiring harness. Sorry about your alternator. Just look at it as an excuse to upgrade to a higher amp unit !

gimpyrobb

I have a brand new Haldex PURest to install on my M35a2. Found it for $250 on ebay.

While discussing the install with a member he indicated an "air filter" would now be required. The installation instructions do not mention the need for this.

Thoughts?

Thanks all.
I'll see if I can post the installation PDF when I get home.

I'm going to try one of these... bendix cyclone duradrain. We use them at work on the supply and service lines on our trailers. No power no replacing filters. Just take it apart and clean the screen. It uses a twisted chamber. As the air goes in it spins and pulls the air and water to the bottom. When the air is taken off the glad hands it opens the check valve in the bottom and let's the water/contaminants out. Then when air pressure is reapplied it closes the check valve.

Idk where I want to install it yet. I thought about on the supply line from the compressor on the fire wall. But then again maybe on the frame rail in front of the air tanks.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BjmcvaW_oSPMao4Hw&sig2=aUFqRGkER7wWS4c4FOFslw

Attachments

steelandcanvas

Hellz no! Its like 7* here right now. That will be a job for later. I did find an installation manual that gives specifications on how far from the air comp. to mount it and to put it in the air line before the "wet" tank though. I think on a deuce(A2) the perfect spot would be in the tool box under the driver's seat by the running board. (Or mounted to the back of it)
You can't rush perfection, Gimp bought that about 2 tears ago.

gimpyrobb

I'm going to try one of these... bendix cyclone duradrain. We use them at work on the supply and service lines on our trailers. No power no replacing filters. Just take it apart and clean the screen. It uses a twisted chamber. As the air goes in it spins and pulls the air and water to the bottom. When the air is taken off the glad hands it opens the check valve in the bottom and let's the water/contaminants out. Then when air pressure is reapplied it closes the check valve.

Idk where I want to install it yet. I thought about on the supply line from the compressor on the fire wall. But then again maybe on the frame rail in front of the air tanks.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BjmcvaW_oSPMao4Hw&sig2=aUFqRGkER7wWS4c4FOFslw
LD(haha that reminds me of learning disabled) any way, you want to mount that as far away from the compressor as you can. If you mount it close, the air will not have time to cool down and let the water separate from the air.

Hot air will hold the moisture right through that filter if it is close to the compressor!

gimpyrobb

You can't rush perfection, Gimp bought that about 2 tears ago.

I bought it to install with my air assist steering kit. I want to protect the expensive kit(and the expensive air pack) from moisture. The air assist has not been installed yet, so neither has the dryer. I have a plan, just no plan to execute it!

welldigger

I bought it to install with my air assist steering kit. I want to protect the expensive kit(and the expensive air pack) from moisture. The air assist has not been installed yet, so neither has the dryer. I have a plan, just no plan to execute it!
Me and you are literally in the same boat. Air o matic sitting on my shop floor. Waiting to install air dryer before I install the air o matic. Except at the moment I can't get the alternater bracket off of my engine so I can install my 27si. I have found the 3 tightest bolts on my truck so far!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air dryers work great if installed correctly. On our civilian trucks at work, every one of the trucks that don't have air dryers have caused us trouble this winter (even if draining the tanks every day). The ones with air dryers haven't had any problems and we don't even drain the tanks on those.

Like most everywhere else, it's been way colder this winter than normal. Another winter like this and all our trucks will have air dryers.

rustystud

You do realize this is just for the trailer air brakes right ? You must still use a central air dryer for the output of the air compressor, like an AD9 unit.

peashooter

I'm unable to find a good thread on adding an air dryer to a deuce that didn't come with one. Does anyone have any pictures or links to threads that show some of the basics (plumbing, mounting, electrical hookup for the heated ones)? Thanks

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I'm unable to find a good thread on adding an air dryer to a deuce that didn't come with one. Does anyone have any pictures or links to threads that show some of the basics (plumbing, mounting, electrical hookup for the heated ones)? Thanks
well, this may only help a little, but go the the website listed below and click on 'our trucks' and click on the m-621 page. i have not drained the tanks in 8 years because the drier gets it all!! unit is from a UD (nissan) box truck.
tom

Last edited:

welldigger

There isn't really much to installing an air dryer. Air in and air out. Then you will tee a 1/4" line into the air line that goes from the compressor to the air governor.

As far as the heating element, I think I'm going to splice into the hot wire that leads to the fuel pump. That way it will turn the heating element on when I turn on the master power.

I plan on mounting mine to the cross member behind the air tanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks