• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Dryer for an M35A2

rustystud

View attachment Scan0003.pdfView attachment Scan0004.pdfView attachment Scan0005.pdfView attachment Scan0006.pdfView attachment Scan0007.pdf
I'm unable to find a good thread on adding an air dryer to a deuce that didn't come with one. Does anyone have any pictures or links to threads that show some of the basics (plumbing, mounting, electrical hookup for the heated ones)? Thanks
Hey Aaron, hope this helps. Also a reminder to all that the Haldex Pure Air is cheaper to buy especially from auction and military venders, but the Bendix AD-9 is cheaper to maintain. It costs twice to 3 times the amount of money to buy the filters and small parts for the Haldex then it does for the Bendix. On average the Bendix AD-9 costs $60.00 to service and you only service it once every 3 years. While the Haldex Pure Air costs on average $120.00 to $180.00 (depending who is selling the parts) to maintain it every 2 years ! (According to Haldex's service manual ).

brianp454

I've been thinking about this for some time also. Bendix Service Data info attached.

http://www.haldex.com/en/North-America/Applications-Products/Brake--Suspension-Systems/Product-Catalog/Air-DryerAir-Line/Air-Dryers/Competitive-NewRemanufactured/Bendix-AD-9-/1928/View attachment air_dryer_ad-9_installation.pdf

List of part numbers in the link above. Don't forget to order the 24v version. Also, it seems like there are genuine Bendix versions available and knock-off versions. I'm assuming that Haldex bought Bendix at some point based on the link.

rustystud

I've been thinking about this for some time also. Bendix Service Data info attached.

http://www.haldex.com/en/North-America/Applications-Products/Brake--Suspension-Systems/Product-Catalog/Air-DryerAir-Line/Air-Dryers/Competitive-NewRemanufactured/Bendix-AD-9-/1928/View attachment 519961

List of part numbers in the link above. Don't forget to order the 24v version. Also, it seems like there are genuine Bendix versions available and knock-off versions. I'm assuming that Haldex bought Bendix at some point based on the link.
Yes, a few years ago Bendix was bought by Haldex. The AD-9 will be fazed out, but since it was used for over 3 decades parts will still be made. That is why I'm buying one now. The parts are also being made by other after-market people, so no fears there. I'm going to buy an Original Bendix not a copy. The units will out last the truck. Just as they have outlived our buses. Just a side note, our buses must last for over 15 years according to the federal government. Most last well over 20 years in active daily service.

rustystud

I'm assuming the ad9 units I find online for $150 are knock offs?
Sadly yes . An original Bendix AD-9 will cost around $250.00 to $300.00 , but you only have to buy it once ! The castings from Bendix are extremely well made. I cannot vouch for the aftermarket ones. I forgot to add, at this price you will get the bracket and wiring for the heater element.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You think they figure the 2 years service was based on a road tractor running everyday of it's life, where we are most likey weekend warriors?

welldigger

You think they figure the 2 years service was based on a road tractor running everyday of it's life, where we are most likey weekend warriors?
You can get more life out of a dryer than 2 years. However, if your truck sits for too long it can ruin the desiccant cartridge. It needs the hot air from the compressor from time to time so it can dry out and purge.

rustystud

Yes I agree. It seems to catch all the nasty stuff. But, the desiccant filter reaches a point it won't absorb water anymore. Not really sure why.
The desiccant filter is always absorbing water from the air, so after you open it, it's shelf life starts ticking. Yes the heat from the compressor helps recharge it a bit, but never to it's new condition.

welldigger

The desiccant filter is always absorbing water from the air, so after you open it, it's shelf life starts ticking. Yes the heat from the compressor helps recharge it a bit, but never to it's new condition.
I realize this. I have a desiccant filter on my shop air compressor for my plasma cutter. You are supposed to be able to put it in the oven and dry it out. Turns out that's a total waste of time. Yay! But my cutter is a tad bit more expensive than a new desiccant cartridge.

I guess what I'm getting at is you would think you could dry the water out of the silica beads. But it seems they get to a point they won't release the water anymore. Either that or they won't absorb it anymore.

rustystud

The newest air dryer system our Transit system is using is the "dual coalescing filter" unit. It switches directions after a predetermined time and is supposed to blow out the filter. It also has a heater unit inside. Even with all that, the desiccant is changed out every 3 years. It was at first suppose to last 5 years. That didn't pan out. It does last longer then the older AD-9 which has to be changed out every year on a buss. (in a over the road truck like our deuces the AD-9 will last 3 years before desiccant change out).
If you wanted to buy one of these new wonder air dryers it will cost you over $1000.00 . I will stick with the old AD-9 at that price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks