• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air ride seats in M 931 A2

Jericho

I had posted a like thread about the Fifth Wheel hauler I am building, But here are the pics and a blow by blow for the seat installation, First thing out was the passenger seat and BATTERY BOX. I needed a smaller box ,decided to go down to TWO batteries , So I torch wrenched the box to the size I needed and rebuilt the top edges and face, welded it up, ground it out and repainted it. Next I trial fitted the passenger seat and determined where to locate it, I made sure to locate the four mount bolts over the floor channel , little double thickness never hurt, Drilled the holes and mounted the seat with LARGE fender washer AN hardware and self locking deformed head nuts. Trying to add pice here , not working well

Jericho

seat install

seat trial fitted and modified battery box installed, I left the wire chases and vet locations intact ant eh box bolts down in same mount holes , Pay close attention to the seat fold down arms to make sure they arn't hitting the door levers re

Attachments

Jericho

seat install

next came the drivers side, I removed the installed seat and cut the bottom plate from it to use for mounting the new seat. also used a few other morsals from the assy, , modified the base and the back cusions to allow the seat cushions to be removed with the frame bolted down , this was needed to allow for access to the battery box. It also provided a PERFECT fit ( completely by chance and the suggestion of my 10 yr old grand son, I cut the pins from the lower bottom frames and used a set of threaded hooks to retain the seat bottom, it in does easily , I removed the brackets from the seat back and reinstalled, it allows the back to slide up and off them I used four rubber isolator feet to mount the frame to the battery box top, All bolted up , seat belts fit great in original spots , seat works out perfect, Air is tapped in line with a t in the line to the air horn under the hood, all the connectors on the plastic 1/4 inch line and 1/8 line are push to lock . RIDE GREAT. I am 6 foot ,220, have plenty of adjustment and fit well.

Attachments

Jericho

next gotta find some dam cup holders like my John Deer mower has , any one with a good set up PLEASE chime in. I love to use other s ideas, Some of my set credit goes to post on here, lots of pointers and do,s and don;ts. Was thinking flexible rubber ones right in front of the center seat, mounted to battery box. . Open to good suggestions , Thanks in advance !

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Brake handle chain?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Just a slip over so that kids can't knock it off or anti theft. I have done a bar mounted to the rear cab support and a fork up front so it can be locked.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jericho

Works great , kids cant knock it off, JUst came back from a Touch a truck, Love kids, like to let them look in an ARMY TRUCK. Tons of trucks there , every KID age 1 to 99 wants to sit in it, longest line at the show, but man kids are kids, pull every knob, twist every switch . Now with the new seats its kind off hidden away and they cant really even see it , This is most handy in my m109A3 , I was constantly knocking the emergency brake off getting out .

Csm Davis

Works great , kids cant knock it off, JUst came back from a Touch a truck, Love kids, like to let them look in an ARMY TRUCK. Tons of trucks there , every KID age 1 to 99 wants to sit in it, longest line at the show, but man kids are kids, pull every knob, twist every switch . Now with the new seats its kind off hidden away and they cant really even see it , This is most handy in my m109A3 , I was constantly knocking the emergency brake off getting out .
Yeah I know what you mean about the kids, but on my 939 series trucks I just let all the air out and unhook the ground on the batteries, then no matter what they do the truck won't do anything. I have big kids (adults) get in and even had one bet he could drive off, he lost.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

TMG for the cupholder. Jericho, sorry if I missed it somewhere but, where did you source the seats? I would love to find some NOS HEMTT seats so they have the 4 point belts already. I have also looked into salvage yard commercial vehicle but then I will have to fab up the belts. Not a big deal, just another step.

Last edited:

Jericho

on the internet , Flea bay . Prime 200. brand, black Leather, they have 200 thru 600 models , but the 200 are nice They were 620 $ each delivered , from Georgia to NH. Came freight in 3 days, no damage. Air suspension easy hook up single line. Lumbar and side bolster expansion bladders as well. . They are very comfortable and slim line in the back, fit very nice , ! Iam 6 foot 220 lbs plenty of room and adjustable. NO COMPARISION TO THE O.E. SEAT . good hunting

Mos68x

Looks good Jericho! Maybe once I finish building the more important bits on mine I'll get to the seats. In the mean time though I'm thinking I'm going to add a couple spacers to my seat mounts so that I can make the OE seats at least more comfortable to ride in.

Jericho

I would have. But wife refused to ride in it until I got something more comfortable than the thin troop seat. "Happy wife happy life "

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
TMG for the cupholder. Jericho, sorry if I missed it somewhere but, where did you source the seats? I would love to find some NOS HEMTT seats so they have the 4 point belts already. I have also looked into salvage yard commercial vehicle but then I will have to fab up the belts. Not a big deal, just another step.
The last thing you want is to be totally strapped and secured into a seat in a cab that the top has no support and will nearly cave in if you walk on it. Unless you install a roll cage or ROPS cab/system i do not suggest getting too snuggled into the cab of some thing that easily will roll over.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk