• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alas we must say goodbye to you Multifuel.

nevrenufhp

For sure, get the edumakashun. Then you can get a nice paying job to support your toy habit. My project is simply a DT466 in a Super Duty, and I've had the truck for 2 years now with no engine.
Stock, a mechanical 466 will go to 2750-2850 with no load. You can tightetn the gov springs to get a couple hundred more rpm. I talked with Max, the owner of Hypermax, and he was saying the 466 can make 600hp before you need to do injectors. Basically a higher flowing pump, and more air. He also said you can have 1000hp for about $10k.

No doubt balancing would be a good idea, since they dont run velvetty smoooth out of the box(especially after advancing the timing). The truck in the video was 230hp, and now is about 270. It cranks up to 3150 no load, and about 3k under load, just by tightening the gov springs 3 clicks. There's some great deals on truck 466s on pulloff.com in the for sale area. not too many of them, but every other week or so one pops up.

yeager1

Just a thought on building a bigger and bigger deuce, why not just start with a 5 ton? Bigger tires fit with no mods, super single rims are easier to find, no axle strength issues, better brakes, power steering... And bigger engines fit fairly easily, just pull the 250 and put in a big cam version, or whatever other motor you like. just my 2 cents, but it seems like it would be alot easier then using a deuce if you want to go really big on power, tires, load capacity or whatever. If it's a size issue, you could use a tractor and through a 12' deuce bed on it. I know half the fun is building it, but if you want something BIG, start with something already fairly big. To me it kinda seems like tring to bread a really large chiwawa..just get a rottweiller

truckdoctor

I've always wondered what the facination is with 6bt cummins engines in trucks larger than a 1 ton. We've had a couple of 5.9s in service trucks that grossed anywhere from 26000 to 33000 and we have had many problems with them. Broken exhaust manifolds, burned pistions, and two years of life on rebuilds, I would go with the 466. By the time you find a 6bt and pay for it you could very well have bought a whole truck or piece of equipment with a 466 in it. Then you would have a tranny as well. The best part is they are like a small block chevy in that parts are very easy to come by and in diesel terms are fairly inexpensive.

tm america

anyone got pics pof a cummins in a duece i want to switch mine out for one stock they are good a chip and better exhaust and i think iwont want to get out i would keep the stock trams they are way under rated just like the rest of the truck the worlds fastest pickup truck runs one its got a cummings and a 3053 trans and does over 300 mph

Jakelc15

Just some trivia but I once started a 466 17° out of time. I personally don't like the 466 much over the Cat but had one run with no oil pressure for a good week or so. The pickup tube had come loose from the front cover. Just a note, make sure you torque your mount bolts before the pickup tube bolts!

nevrenufhp

There's always 2 out of 50 that dont like the 466. There's also some that dont like a Cummins 6BT. Bad personal experiences must play a role.

WPNS421

I have had both Cats and IH, you should know that Cat is going to stop making big truck engines. This because of the new pollution regulation. This is a bg project with $$$ I run a DT466 in my IH and it is a good little engine with lots of torque. The cummins is also a good choice. Your best bet Cummins or IH. See what it costs for routine maintenace items and then an expensive item such as an injector etc

Jakelc15

There's always 2 out of 50 that dont like the 466. There's also some that dont like a Cummins 6BT. Bad personal experiences must play a role.
Your exactly right, The machines that I work on that had 466's in them were old wore out and always needing work. They were actually labeled as Detroit Series 40's. Old Terex TS14's, duel 466's.
The new ones have Cummins 5.9's

Attachments

rivired

i drive armored trucks..IH 4700's with DT466 and e's.i HATE the DT466E electric ones..it feels like ur foot isnt connected to the engine in any way..however i love the mechanicle...its hammer down all day long and they never skip a beat..its what i want to put in my duece.

nevrenufhp

i drive armored trucks..IH 4700's with DT466 and e's. i HATE the DT466E electric ones..it feels like ur foot isnt connected to the engine in any way..however i love the mechanical...its hammer down all day long and they never skip a beat..its what i want to put in my duece.
The 466E is fly by wire, so it does feel like an empty pedal. Mash the pedal, and wait a few seconds for it to respond. A mechanical 466 doesn't feel like it's up to par until the fuel has been adjusted, or so they seem. Throttle response gets better on the 466E when you raise fuel pressure at the regulator.:wink:

DavidWymore

I've always wondered what the facination is with 6bt cummins engines in trucks larger than a 1 ton. We've had a couple of 5.9s in service trucks that grossed anywhere from 26000 to 33000 and we have had many problems with them. Broken exhaust manifolds, burned pistions, and two years of life on rebuilds, I would go with the 466. By the time you find a 6bt and pay for it you could very well have bought a whole truck or piece of equipment with a 466 in it. Then you would have a tranny as well. The best part is they are like a small block chevy in that parts are very easy to come by and in diesel terms are fairly inexpensive.
I wonder too. I have a mechanical hotrodded 5.9 in my dodge witha NV4500 behind it. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' but the truck only weighs 7000. Put a trailer behind it and load it up to 13000 and I gotta take it easy to avoid burning things up and there is too much space between the gears, a 6spd would be a lot better. With a more stock engine heat wouldn't be as much of an issue, but I had a stock one and it was a dog.

Alex400

I wonder too. I have a mechanical hotrodded 5.9 in my dodge witha NV4500 behind it. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' but the truck only weighs 7000. Put a trailer behind it and load it up to 13000 and I gotta take it easy to avoid burning things up and there is too much space between the gears, a 6spd would be a lot better. With a more stock engine heat wouldn't be as much of an issue, but I had a stock one and it was a dog.
the trans is a big factor when it comes to heat. not being able to split the gears leaves you high in one or low in another. My dad and i are planning out a mechanical 5.9 cummins swap in his f-250. we would like to use a Fuller roadranger 10 speed. would be really nice when hauling or towing. plus it would be unique. :)

Alex400

Yeah. I was gonna say you might get tired of shifting but when you're unloaded you could probably skip gears.
yeah you just skip around. my dad worked in a warehouse where he also was the sub truck driver. it was 32000 GVW Ford cabover. Had a cummins with a 10-speed. He said for most about town (unloaded) driving you started in 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th (sometimes) 8, 9, 10. it just keeps the motor in the powerband a lot better. we have a 10,000 pound boat that we pull, and it would be nice here in western washington because of all of the hills. We are looking to build a fairly mild 5.9 cummins. around 320 hp and 660 torque. nothing radical, but some simple upgrades, like a fuel plate, turbine housing w/wastegate, custom intake and a 4 inch turbo back. should do pretty well and be reliable.

Wrench Wench

If you're hurting for a quick replacement engine for a Deuce, could do a lot worse than glomming onto an old surplus school bus They're always getting surplussed out before their tie on account of their legislated 10 year useful life. I've seen lots of DT466s in transit pushers. 6BTs too.

Question, would those use a fulltime reverser gear or be a reverse rotation engine?

Jake0147

Pusher's turn the same way. The differential is backwards, so the pinion moves to the opposite side of the ring gear, which reverses the rotation, but the engine is also backwards, which reverses the rotation relative to the direction of the bus, without actually reversing the rotation. You end up with a complete powertrain of standard off the shelf components.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks