• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All Military Vehicles banned from road in Maryland

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Inform the public and educate state legislators"

That sounds like a job each and every MV owner could perform at a local level.

If we make the 'historical' side of MV collecting so important to the greater public that they can't live without us, we can rest.

Everything seemed to be just fine for both commercial and historical ownership in the past. How do we fix this on a continental scale?

"For the Good of the Greater Public", keeps coming up when discussing why we keep doing what we do.

Our local MVPA, under serious original drive from the old boys, set us up on the 'military' side of contacts. We display at command changes, cadet events, Vimy memorials and countless other brass supported events.

On the public exposure side we were weak and civilians have a difficult time 'reaching in' to anything military. You green guys can be scary to us civi folk! Reaching out to the general public is where we are gaining support. If the general public found out that 20 historical units wouldn't be on display at the local airshow this year you'd smell the stink all the way in Florida!

We set up with local legions for parades and public displays as far as we could reach. Members delivered the Commander of the Canadian Army through his home town parade in Breton. Airshows and museum event organizers were contacted for weekly displays. Every Saturday a sanctioned meeting took place at a local Wendy's and we could all attend in our MV's. Many of the guys were great with placards, full clothing and silent weapon displays. They'd engage the public and gain that next supporter.

The efforts we all take can only help expose this to the greater public. I don't see it splashed all over the news so we have some work we can do in addition to reaching out through the political process.

I'd encourage folks to get their personal bio and MV story into their local paper. The story is about restrictions on fellow MV collectors....and purchasers of other surplus equipment for commercial use. Reaching out to other collectors whether it be race cars, buses, fire-trucks, Model t's or Volkswagons is also our responsibility. We have lots of opportunity to get the word out there on what's happening in the MV collecting world!

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you think that, however that MV, over 10,001lbs that crosses out of is domestic state is therefore engaged in interstate commerce and afforded no protection under the domestic state's laws governing vehicles in intrastate commerce. You are required to have a medical card, CDL, commercial insurance, commercial registration/tags, subject to DOT checks/scales and depending on the type of truck subject to the 2290 form. Which will add up to lots of $. My taxes on J tags in TN plus the 2290 is around $2300 a year. They will register the vehicle at whatever the gvwr or gvcw is.

Your 1088 has a gvwr of 44,650. Which means J8 tags which require a 2290 form. A j7 tag of under 44k is ok as a civilian and does not require 2290. As a civilian you can ask for less weight plates as long as you do not exceed that weight in TN. However interstate commerce is required to be registered for the exact gvwr. Which means big money. That would be for a farm type situation here. H commercial tags are nearly double that.
According to my Florida Highway Patrol friend, he's a commercial vehicle enforcement instructor, all of that only applies if you are using the vehicle for commercial, non-agricultural purposes. Now, if you hook a trailer to the truck, and the GVWR exceeds 26000# intrastate or 10,000# interstate, then you are required to have all of the above, plus the federal DOT number displayed on the vehicle. Agricultural use may still be exempt, I can't remember.

Would it be feasible to form a farming LLC of some type and use / register the vehicle for agricultural purposes?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
According to my Florida Highway Patrol friend, he's a commercial vehicle enforcement instructor, all of that only applies if you are using the vehicle for commercial, non-agricultural purposes. Now, if you hook a trailer to the truck, and the GVWR exceeds 26000# intrastate or 10,000# interstate, then you are required to have all of the above, plus the federal DOT number displayed on the vehicle. Agricultural use may still be exempt, I can't remember.

Would it be feasible to form a farming LLC of some type and use / register the vehicle for agricultural purposes?
Would have to. Or a non profit company but even their drivers must have a CDL. If you start an LLC its purpose is a business. Hard to skate around that part of it.

Even in TN the ag plates for a 915 or 916 are over $2k a year by law definition if you followed it off the vehicle gvwr

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in Oregon and purchased a WC63 last year. I had no trouble getting a title and registration for it. The only restriction is, that it is a historic veichle, meaning that I'm not supposed to drive it everyday.
Same for me in Texas.

Ma Duce

There was a member here, from Illinois that had some experience in that field. Ma Duce I believe was his member name.......................I'll look

I found and sent a "conversation" .................he hasn't been active for quite a while................we will see, I guess.

yea that was me. I'm still a lobbyist and have some ties to people in Maryland. But last time I spoke up, bunch of people told me to mind my own business because they all had it under control. . .

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, sorry about that....didn't know. Guess it's not "under control". I'd appreciate the help. If ya prefer not to, sorry to have intruded.......

Let me know if I can help......

Reworked LMTV

yea that was me. I'm still a lobbyist and have some ties to people in Maryland. But last time I spoke up, bunch of people told me to mind my own business because they all had it under control. . .
Wow, this is upsetting to hear. Lobbying in a rare talent and should not be taken for granted.

Jericho

Interesting. I run a five ton in NH , legally registered as Private non commercial. NO CDL required for me to take it anywhere in the US , as long as I don't reside or do commercial haulage in another state requiring a CDL,, Interestingly I also get CDL exemption as a FARMER, yes In NH I meet the requirements for farm with 20 chickens and 2 million bees. I do get pulled over, Never have gotten a ticket . I do agree with many, We as a community need representation in the political arena. Its worth a Hundred a year to me !

Jericho

any motor vehical using the interstate system for travel thru a state from a state regardless of the states registration requirements, Only has to meet the requirements of the state of registration under federal reciprocity to pass thru legally. The simple act of going thru another state does not denote the need for a CDL it is the act of using the vehicle in commerce that drives the CDL, NH has no separate registration for RV s. We all know the 75 year old man with the 3 rd heart attack and bifocals , headed in a Class A RV grossing 38 thousand pounds, full air brakes and towing his F 350 ( with an ATV and a canoe strapped on to it ) Iam not that far away lol. But , here its a private motor car reg, My trucks are in the same category Believe it or not Number of wheels is a factor here ! if some ORG wants to step up to work this reg issue for Mil trucks, Ill contribute

Reworked LMTV

any motor vehical using the interstate system for travel thru a state from a state regardless of the states registration requirements, Only has to meet the requirements of the state of registration under federal reciprocity to pass thru legally. The simple act of going thru another state does not denote the need for a CDL it is the act of using the vehicle in commerce that drives the CDL, NH has no separate registration for RV s. We all know the 75 year old man with the 3 rd heart attack and bifocals , headed in a Class A RV grossing 38 thousand pounds, full air brakes and towing his F 350 ( with an ATV and a canoe strapped on to it ) Iam not that far away lol. But , here its a private motor car reg, My trucks are in the same category Believe it or not Number of wheels is a factor here ! if some ORG wants to step up to work this reg issue for Mil trucks, Ill contribute
I sent a message on this very subject to FMCSA today : )

Ma Duce

here was one of the warnings I got back in the day. Since I haven't been up here in a couple of years don't know if the DC is still a mod or not. Don't really care.

Anyway the best way for anyone to get a hold of me is via email, tvandermyd@aol.com. I always check that multiple times a day as it is my personal email.
swbradley1 said:

I'm not going to debate it with you. Don't post links to gun websites. If you have something factual post it.

There is a reason most gun sites have the tin foil hat label.
no problem on the links to gun sites. but it seems you guys don't even want the facts of what is going on.

I'll try posting some of the content of the emails I have. But i doubt you guys are gonna let them stay

Todd

Ajax MD

I was referred to this thread today because I foolishly bought an M998 on December 22nd 2019.
If I had seen this thread, I never would have bought the vehicle.

Here's a fun question: What is the MSP planning on doing about all the MV's currently legally registered with the state of Maryland? I bought an M813 a year ago and sailed through the title and registration process with no issues. I have historic tags.

The linked document doesn't say anything about a grandfather clause. Maryland has one of the largest veteran populations in the country. There are entire fleets of MVs in this state.

@Ma Duce Whoever told you to "mind your business" was out of line. I'm new here, but accept my apology and please tell us how to get our ball rolling.

Ajax MD

Just a note-

It has been pointed out to me, that bulletin ASED-009 is exactly that- a bulletin. It's not a law. It is also very incorrect in several areas.

The MSP is essentially, the ASED "mafia" and they have defacto decided to ban all MV's from public roads by propagating incomplete, incorrect information in the form of SF-97's, FMVSS and Federal emissions standards. Safety inspections stations will comply with the bulletin in order to not risk their inspection station certificates.

So far, I am unable to find a state law that corresponds to this bulletin. The bulletin indirectly and in a conflicting manner addresses Historic tags with this statement:

On-road operation and registration requires that a vehicle be constructed and maintained to be compliant with FMVSS equipment standards and Federal emissions standards.
Look, this is the opening salvo to banning the operation of all MV's on public roads. Saying "I have Historic tags, nyah-nyah" is not going to be the saving answer for long. We're going to have to organize, find a sympathetic delegate and try to get something passed while we still have a Republican governor.

Ajax MD

Here's an interesting twist:

In the state of Maryland, we have a large restaurant chain called Mission BBQ. Nearly every franchise uses a blacked-out M35A3 as a catering truck. They actively operate these deuces commercially as catering trucks.

This bulletin effectively revokes their ability to operate all their trucks. There is no WAY that Mission BBQ is going to take this lying down. I'm going to take a copy of the memo to the local franchise tomorrow and show it to the manager to forward up their corporate chain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks