• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

13F10

so...I'm betting there might be some SS members here that like guns
rofl

So...anybody got a clever idea on how I could mount my BA50 in the bed of the deuce? Thinking some kind of swivel seat mount. Kinda thinkin' it might be badass to roll up to a rock quarry and touch off some .50 BMG tracers from the bed of the deuce
I'm more of a mechanic than a gun nut, so I'm looking for some input here.
Links?

Ok... I had this one rattling around for a while...

Do a vertical pintle with a hydraulically lifted arm. Attach it to the passenger side of the headache rack in the bed.

Cross brace it to absorb the recoiling action, and have lock pin plates to secure it at the spindle on the headache rack and at the trunnion for the coax for transport.

Use 1/4 in square tubing, or whatever remnants of scrap you have from the bed build, and all you have to find is the spindle, lifting struts and fab a reciever attachment point.

You could fab a seat off the spindle horizontally or angle the seat arm to suit.

This would give you a traversing 360' mount attached to the headache rack, with coverage over the cab, and 180' coverage vertically.

Whatcha think?
Sewerzuk2.5.jpg

Last edited:

sewerzuk

Ok... I had this one rattling around for a while...

Do a vertical pintle with a hydraulically lifted arm. Attach it to the passenger side of the headache rack in the bed.

Cross brace it to absorb the recoiling action, and have lock pin plates to secure it at the spindle on the headache rack and at the trunnion for the coax for transport.

Use 1/4 in square tubing, or whatever remnants of scrap you have from the bed build, and all you have to find is the spindle, lifting struts and fab a reciever attachment point.

You could fab a seat off the spindle horizontally or angle the seat arm to suit.

This would give you a traversing 360' mount attached to the headache rack, with coverage over the cab, and 180' coverage vertically.

Nice...

I have been kicking the idea of doing this round for a while...just haven't hit on that "perfect" idea yet. Hoping I can take a few people's ideas and suggestions and something will click...then I'll bust out the welder. Thanks for the idea...mulling it over now...

sewerzuk

Mudfest 2011

Just got back from Sweet Home, OR a few hours ago...still sorting through pics, but I'll post a few here for now. I also have a bunch of video footage...I'll get some on youtube soon.

It was an awesome weekend! It was a 3 hour drive there, 2 solid days of wheeling, and a 3 hour drive back. I took the Samurai with me on the bed of the deuce, mostly as a vehicle for chasing parts if I broke anything. I didn't need it. The deuce ran perfect all the way there and back, and it did great in the mud.

The wheelin' started on the way into the parking lot; I had to hook up to an F-350 with a 24' equipment hauler and a buggy and drag them about 500' up a hill to a parking spot; I had the Samurai on the bed of the deuce so it was a train of 4 vehicles spouting diesel smoke and mud all the way up the hill :driver:

I spent the first half of the day pulling over a dozen stuck rigs out of mud holes, then I managed to get the deuce buried in one. A Suburban on 64" V tread tractor tires pulled me out. I spent a good part of the day as mobile bleachers; most of my friends set up chairs on the bed, and I would move it every hour or so.

I got an invite to come back the next day with Warn as a recovery vehicle for a photo shoot (that's why the Warn stickers are all over the truck), so we came back the next day and had the entire course to ourselves. The Warn photographers got a bunch of pics of various winching sessions, using the deuce as a recovery point. They also got me in a 30 MPH 100ft long 6 wheel drift on their high speed camera...hopefully it will make it into one of their videos.

It was a blast....the pics and videos will never do it justice 8)

Attachments

MrArmyAnt

Your build is an inspiration for mine! love the truck. I have to build my bed still and hunt down tires. I actually have a warn series 18 for my rig. Looks awesome!

Do you not have lockers yet?

sewerzuk

wow where is that exactly?! didnt know of that place. is it every weekend they do that or is it once a year type of thing. truck looks awesome!
It's once a year; it is put on by the Santiam 4wd association. The website is here:
The Official Site of SFWDA

This year (and the next 3 years) it is held in a farmer's field; they do a good job of putting the event on. They hire a security company, porta potties, concession stands, water trucks to wash down the highway, pressure washers for vehicles, excavators and dozers for vehicle extrication, etc.

I've been for most of the years that the event was held, over 3 different locations. I did miss quite a few years while I was active duty...

Tickets are hard to get; they typically sell out in a few minutes.

sewerzuk

Your build is an inspiration for mine! love the truck. I have to build my bed still and hunt down tires. I actually have a warn series 18 for my rig. Looks awesome!

Do you not have lockers yet?
No lockers yet; I almost bought one for the front axle before this trip, but knew I wouldn't have the time to drop it in.

Eventually I do plan on a locker in each axle, and locking hubs for the mid axle. Just waiting for some more free time...

RavenTBK

Quick question: What's the difference in overall track width between the dimension of outside to outside of front tires and outside to outside of rear tires? Or could you post both overall dimensions.

Thanks!
After reading through all the pages of this awesome thread, I became more interested in the whole 395's on stock, unflipped wheels. I saw the above question asked, but didnt run across an answer. I am curious as to what the track difference is as well?

Havent picked up my deuce yet, but theres plenty of sweet ideas I plan on thieving... ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks