• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just think they look mean. Unfortunately, I do not have a CDL or even an air brake cert, so I am not allowed to even drive a M900 series truck at this time. Probably doesn't help that I live in an HOA and while they have ignored the deuces I park in my back yard, a HET may be pushing it. :)

mendo

Maybe......8)
Nice!! you gonna leave it green or go Sand color? as most any of us will ask, PICTURES PLEASE! And, when you get a minute, talk to us about how it drives, what you like/dislike about it, what you can do with it etc. I may never get to own one of these, so your pictures and description lets me live vicariously through you. if you weren't half a country away, I would be hanging around your place making myself useful! let me know if you are ever up in N. California.

4 play

More pictures more pictures more pictures.:doghead: On the topic of the Miller welder I used to weld with that everyday back in the mid 90's. Back then it had a 400 amp tweco gun and would weld like butta:cool:!!!! I love that welder like a fat kid loves cake.:drool:

M920

More pictures more pictures more pictures.:doghead: On the topic of the Miller welder I used to weld with that everyday back in the mid 90's. Back then it had a 400 amp tweco gun and would weld like butta:cool:!!!! I love that welder like a fat kid loves cake.:drool:
Ha ha Dave.....you mean like an "old man with bloodshot eyes" likes WELDERS..... :)

M920

Hoods and Air cleaners....

Ok...here is an update and a few new pics as requested:

I went to the local logging company and bought an air cleaner off of one of their old, derelict Peterbuilts. As expected, there were many different coats of paint that had accumulated on it over the years. Since I decided that it was not worth driving 130 miles to get it sandblasted, I went to work with the orbital sander.

I had picked up the aluminum engine hoods in Farmington the other day and UPS delivered the piano hinges for them today. I'm really anxious to get them assembled and installed.

Part of the delivery were the "Oshkosh" marked mudflaps and the rubber fender extensions, that will be installed along the front fenders, to match the ones on the rear of the Mk48 cab.

Inside the cab I got the dashboard with the new VDO gauges installed and the push button shifter for the Allison is in it's new home.

So tomorrow I should be able to paint the air cleaner, make the brackets and get it all mounted to the ROPS. That way I can figure out what I need for the air cleaner plumbing ......Maybe if I get really really lucky, I find out that I already have everything!!!! :)

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If ya don't mind me asking, what is tucked away in the barn in picture six? Truck is really coming along NICELY! Thanks for sharing. The dash cluster is quite large. LOL

God bless,
Tony

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...Part of the delivery were the "Oshkosh" marked mudflaps and the rubber fender extensions, that will be installed along the front fenders, to match the ones on the rear of the Mk48 cab...
Didn't you just get a pair of Oshkosh marked mudflaps? 8)

4 play

Ha ha Dave.....you mean like an "old man with bloodshot eyes" likes WELDERS..... :)
I'm pretty sure back then I was in my mid 20's so I wasn't the old guy. The reason my eyes were bloodshot I'm pretty sure you made me work on that camper trailer until almost 4 in the morning. Lol but we always had a good time didn't we?

M920

If ya don't mind me asking, what is tucked away in the barn in picture six?
It's an FV432 APC.....just in case I have to go get groceries..... lol

Didn't you just get a pair of Oshkosh marked mudflaps? 8)
Yeah....but these are unbolted already....

I'm pretty sure back then I was in my mid 20's so I wasn't the old guy. The reason my eyes were bloodshot I'm pretty sure you made me work on that camper trailer until almost 4 in the morning. Lol but we always had a good time didn't we?
Ya ya....excuses excuses!!!....lol
And yes we sure did! :)

Last edited:

Ravidenze

I just read through all 40 pages of this today, skipped right through dinner. This is an amazing build and great fun to follow. Thanks for all the work put into keeping all of us updated so far.

I'm only 18 but I plan on buying one of the cheapest 6x6's I can find (a rusting hunk of junk) and use it as learning tool over the next couple years. Maybe make myself a Frankenstein monster of bad welds and jerryrigged engine parts. Following you guys and especially you Soni is inspirational.

Respectully,
Grant

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks