• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

M920

It looks good! I do think the exhaust should be a bit taller or bend it out the side so it doesn't soot up the ROPS or the back of the engine bay.
Thanks mendo, as you can see I fixed the exhaust and added a muffler so I can legally use my Jake brake in Colorado. It was pretty loud without the muffler anyway.....

I'm supposed to get the missing elbow in at NAPA today, so hopefully I can get the exhaust all done today.....

Attachments

Last edited:

M920

How to make a simple air intake reducer.....

Today was not a super productive day, since I have to get my M920A1 ready for another locomotive 315 move. I still got a few things accomplished though, like installing the last missing elbow and a salvaged section of stainless steel flex tubing of the original M916 exhaust.
I have to use some flex here because the muffler is mounted solid to the back of the ROPS and the turbo side of the exhaust is attached to the engine and therefore will obviously move with it.
I got it all tacked together and will weld the rest when I take it back off for paint.

In order to make the connection between the 5.5" diameter turbo air inlet and the rest of the air intake system that uses 6" diameter tubing at the air cleaner, I needed a 6" to 5.5" reducer.
Not being able to readily optain such a uncommon part, I decide to make my own.

I started with two pieces of thin wall tubing one 5.5" and the other 6" in diameter. I took the 5.5" tubing and with the help of a hammer and using an appropriate edge on my M747 lowboy, flared out about a 3/8" from the end, evenly all the way around.
I then hammered the edge of the 6" tubing inwards over a rounded bracket, that I found at the tail end of the M747. (those things are so handy!)
Once carefully fitted to each other, I tack welded the two pieces together and after some final tweaking welded them up.
A little wire brushing and some primer and the reducer is ready to use.

Unfortunately I'm still missing two 90 degree rubber elbows in order to button the air intake system all up..... :mad:

I did get really lucky today thought, when I jumped off the truck earlier. Bracing myself on the air cleaner, my welding glove got cought on one of the protruding studs on top and would have done some serious damage to my hand, arm or shoulder if, and thank you Lord, my glove would have not ripped. Otherwhise who knows, I might still be dangeling of the side of the FEMTT with a dislocated shoulder at best!

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

Ragnarok

Coming together nicely, and yes very lucky with the glove being the only casualty. Not to get too off-subject but would love to see lots of pics for that up-coming train move haha, hope that goes smoothly as well.

turbosniper1

Ok.....I will see what I can do for pics on the loco move.... :driver:

Soni
I'd love to see some pics and videos about the Locomotive move!! Things like loading the Loco onto the trailer... And of course seeing the whole she-bang in motion!!
Thanks Soni!! Keep up the good work!! I'm ready to see this truck out on the roads, and off the roads!!!!! ;-)
- Matt

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I'd love to see some pics and videos about the Locomotive move!! Things like loading the Loco onto the trailer... And of course seeing the whole she-bang in motion!!
Be sure to post it on the "Railroad locomotives and rolling stock" thread. Oh wait.....we don't have a "Railroad locomotives and rolling stock" thread. HINT, HINT, HINT!!!!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to post it on the "Railroad locomotives and rolling stock" thread. Oh wait.....we don't have a "Railroad locomotives and rolling stock" thread. HINT, HINT, HINT!!!!!
Ferenoloquist would like that thread! he is a train guy!
It really does need to be a FORUM, not just a singular thread.... That would be more like a one-track-mind or a monorail. :mrgreen:

KenaAuto

Just read all 437 posts instead of pulling my dirty injectors and all I can say is wow! Awesome job Mr. Soni. Great skills.
...oh, and X3 on the locomotive pics. A little derail never hurt anyone. (pun intended)

M920

Steam locomotive move....m920a1 + m747

As requested here are some pics of the recent move of D&RGW C-18 Engine 315 from Durango, CO to Chama, NM on the M747 lowbed trailer pulled by my M920A1.
It all went well except for a bunch of rain on the second day in Durango. We had to load the tender while the M747 was disapearing in a small lake....:roll:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks