• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

plumkrazy

Great pics.--How many more hours of summer before snow starts showing up? If you get snow this winter like it's been raining up in Col., then I hope you have a snow cat or weasel ready to go. Thanks for taking the time to post. Allen

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm 99.9% sure the posts since post #439 have been posted in the wrong forum and should be moved to the Railroad Forum.

Ragnarok

That is just amazing, and no doubt a heck of a towing experience haha. Seriously though not many people can say they towed am actual train, thanks for the pics and keep up the great work!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a side note - I have remembered seeing pics of your M920 moving locomotives several times over the past couple years. My question is:

Do locomotives in the southwest need to be moved by truck that often? There are several museums in the Virginia/Maryland area I have been to and the trains just sit there, and when they get moved it's by rail. Just curious, glad you can help your rail buddies out with your truck, just seems like they move a lot of trains by truck and I'm ???

M920

We got air!!!!

Today I finally got the air intake plumbing betwen the turbo charger and the air cleaner buttoned up.
I still need to fabricate a mount for the top of the crossover tube so the whole thing won't move around to much.

I did get the passenger side fender tacked in place the other day and I'm now trying to figure out where to mount the Allison transmission's computer control module and the relay box.
I called the tech at Allison and he told me that the TCM should be mounted in a protected area, not to hot and as dry as possible.
At first I was looking at mounting them in the cab, but that would make for really long leads and it would require lengthening the main harness, consisting of 27 wires!
So now I'm thinking of using one of the enviromentally sealable military transport cases that I have laying around and mounting it to the inboard side of the pare tire carrier.
The TCM and the relay box could then be mounted nicely inside of it and only the lead to the push button pad, in the cab would have to be lenghtened.
I think I will go that route.....

Anyway....the pic shows the TCM and the relay box for the Allison HD 4070. There are a quite intimidating number of diffrent harnesses and wires coming out of them.....I hope I remember where they all go....It has been a while....:roll:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks