• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

AZDeuce

Soni

I really admire your ingenuity, and craftsmanship, this is one cool beast, when you get her running, if you could post up a video of her on and off road.....that's about as close as some of us will ever get to the real thing, it would be great to see, and thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress, it's really interesting to see all that is involved to make her come together. - AZ

M920

Exhaust heat shield

Well....once again the day is over and I did not get as much done as I was hoping I would....must be the story of my life I guess....

:grd:

I did get the whole exhaust system sanded and painted with black 'Ultra High Heat Paint' and got the top part of the heat shield installed around the muffler.

The rear transmission support spring on top of the Allison tranny needed some wear plates so the spring ends do not wear in to the top of the main frame rails.
I opted to weld a couple of 1/2" thick plates on to the front of the knuckle boom crane's cross member on each side.

With that taken care of, I think I might finally really be ready to set the hydraulic tank / control console back on the truck......but now I have to work on the railroad for the next four days....this sux! :roll:

Soni

Attachments

350TacoZilla

man, glad to hear your ok after that glove incident. I had one question on this build and I'm sorry if you already covered it, how are you going to go about making it legal for weight ratings and such? will your state just go by what the drivetrain is rated to haul/tow (m916) or will you have to possibly even prove its weight carrying ability? I was just wondering since you obviously plan to use this thing for heavy duty work what type of problems DOT might give you with it being so modified from stock. ( I have the same concerns with my bobbed m923 but as I dont plan to do any hauling with it so its a moot point for me.)

M920

man, glad to hear your ok after that glove incident. I had one question on this build and I'm sorry if you already covered it, how are you going to go about making it legal for weight ratings and such? will your state just go by what the drivetrain is rated to haul/tow (m916) or will you have to possibly even prove its weight carrying ability? I was just wondering since you obviously plan to use this thing for heavy duty work what type of problems DOT might give you with it being so modified from stock. ( I have the same concerns with my bobbed m923 but as I dont plan to do any hauling with it so its a moot point for me.)
On paper the truck will remain an M916 and the load capacities 'off-road' will be governed by the Rockwell axles and the Hendrickson suspension. So 20,000 pound rating on the front axle and 56,000 pound rating on the rear tandem SUHD axles for a theoretical GVW of 76,000 pounds.
On the highway the FEMTT will be limited to the weights that New Mexico allows on the axles, so steering axle 20,000 pounds and 34,320 pounds on the rear tandem, for a GVWR of 54,320 pounds.

The towing capacity should remain the same as the M916 at 80,000 pounds, so the CGVWR for the FEMTT would come in at 134,320 pounds.

Of course I will know more when I get to weigh the truck for a curb weight.....

Soni

M920

Oh deer......

Well....here is the living proof that mule deer are smart and seem to like MVs! This nice buck lives behind my PBR....at least during hunting season! :mrgreen:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I did not get anything done today, so I took a few full view pics.....I'm pretty happy with the way the truck is turning out, but I sure can't wait to see it moving from the spot, it has been occupying for the last seven month!

I'm predicting that it will take me another 10 Days to have it move under it's own power..... :naner:
Soni, will you have time to get it to move between now and then? The GA Rally is coming up quick and I know it's more than a days drive for you! See you there! LOL

M920

Soni, will you have time to get it to move between now and then? The GA Rally is coming up quick and I know it's more than a days drive for you! See you there! LOL
Well....since I got called to work on the railroad, it does not look like it now.....I still have at least one solid week of work left on the FEMTT before it will move under it's own power.....:-|

Soni

M920

Control Console Install

Today I'm back to work on the FEMTT and I finally got the control console and the hydraulic tank installed back on the truck. This went relatively smooth except for the return line to the hydraulic tank, that just had to interfere with my new exhaust pipe.....:roll:

So because of that, I had to take most of the hydraulic lines out of the control console and now I have to figure out how to plumb it in a different configuration.

At least the rest of it all fit ok and cleared everything. Also, since one of the air reservoirs is mounted under the control platform, I can now run the remaining air lines for the brakes!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember reading about 4 of your truck builds in Four Wheeler magazine - 2 were the War Wagon (both configurations of it), 1 was the faux-HET build, and 1 was the Scorpion. I think this will become the 5th. :)

M920

I remember reading about 4 of your truck builds in Four Wheeler magazine - 2 were the War Wagon (both configurations of it), 1 was the faux-HET build, and 1 was the Scorpion. I think this will become the 5th. :)
Hmmm....I do have the 20" rims already..... but I think they require at least a 6" lift kit to put a truck in to the magazine now days.....Lol

jdknech

Today I'm back to work on the FEMTT and I finally got the control console and the hydraulic tank installed back on the truck. This went relatively smooth except for the return line to the hydraulic tank, that just had to interfere with my new exhaust pipe.....:roll:

So because of that, I had to take most of the hydraulic lines out of the control console and now I have to figure out how to plumb it in a different configuration.

At least the rest of it all fit ok and cleared everything. Also, since one of the air reservoirs is mounted under the control platform, I can now run the remaining air lines for the brakes!
In pic #1 of post 491, do i spy ANOTHER FEMTT in the background??

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm....I do have the 20" rims already..... but I think they require at least a 6" lift kit to put a truck in to the magazine now days.....Lol
Show them pictures of mine and how much lower it sits, you've got a "lift kit" on yours. ;)

M920

In pic #1 of post 491, do i spy ANOTHER FEMTT in the background??
Boy....you must have 'Hawk Eyes' jdknech....I can barrely make that out myself! LOL

Yes, the vehicle in the backgroung belongs to a friend of mine. It is an M920 that I might have to convert to a FEMTT.....he said he wanted to wait until I get mine done. Apparently the final decision will be made after he got to drive mine.......:popcorn:

jdknech

Boy....you must have 'Hawk Eyes' jdknech....I can barrely make that out myself! LOL

Yes, the vehicle in the backgroung belongs to a friend of mine. It is an M920 that I might have to convert to a FEMTT.....he said he wanted to wait until I get mine done. Apparently the final decision will be made after he got to drive mine.......:popcorn:
lol, well if he backs out on the project, there is plenty of room at my place for a new project! but I'm sure he will love your truck, and want to compleate his... your work is outstanding!

M920

Getting the driver side buttoned up.....

Well.....I feel that my progress is just agonizingly slow these days....I'm sure you guys are getting pretty tired of looking at the same area of the truck over and over, with just tiny bits of progress.
I guess they do say that the 'Devil lays in the detail'.....:roll:

So I will try to move on to some different area or at least not post any more pics of the hydraulic tank / control console area anymore....

I did get the air tank mounted under the platform and made the last pieces of the exhaust heat shield. The steel cover for the control console was in pretty rough shape, so I made a new one from aluminum.

I still have to figure out where to place the hydraulic filter and how to re-plumb the hoses inside the console, since the filter did not clear the exhaust in it's original location.

Soni

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks