• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plan is to use a spray head and the pump. I just got the motor running on the pump, the IP pump was gummed up.

drician

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that 59apache brings it up, I was going to ask what sort of modifications you have made to your M920. Then I realized who I was talking about and should ask instead, What haven't you modified on your M920?

M920

please make the same pic with your 920 ... :)

Ok, I will take one as soon as I get a chance.....

Now that 59apache brings it up, I was going to ask what sort of modifications you have made to your M920. Then I realized who I was talking about and should ask instead, What haven't you modified on your M920?
Thanks....that's pretty funny!....lol
I guess I do have a problem with leaving things the way they are.....:whistle:

So how about I do a seperate thread on the M920A1, as soon as I get the one done that I promissed to do on the M123A1 10 ton.....

Speaking of 10 ton.....I had to use it today, to move my sailboat in to the new shelter.
Even with the big door on the LME, the height clearance was so tight, that I had to ditch the block and hook the spreader bar directly to the boom....

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

M920

A Little Progress....

So now that I got somewhat cought up on my "real" work and the weather finally got nicer again (it was -19F a few days ago) I had a chance to do a little more work on the FEMTT......

I got the cover for the air cleaner modified, to accept the air intake scoop off of an FMTV. I like the looks of it better then just the plain mushroom cap.....

From using the FEMTT off-road, back when it was still an M916, I realized the need for a more heavy duty power steering system.
The biggest issue with the stock setup is the lack of adequate fluid capacity and the resulting heating of the power steering fluid, when driving under severe off-road driving conditions.

I used the 'intel', that I had gathered a few years back, in order to convert the steering system on my M920A1. Good thing I keept all the part numbers.....:cool:

The conversion consists of a new TRW power steering pump with a slightly larger displacement and without the built on reservoir and a large, remote reservoir with built in filter.

The pump is a direct replacement and bolted right up, once I removed the old adapter from the oil pump drive.
After evaluating several different possible locations, I decided to mount the reservoir outside on the side of the air cleaner, for extra cooling.
I did have to make up new hydraulic lines, since none of the old ones fit the new configuration.

After filling the system with ATF and bleeding the air out of it, a test drive confirmed that it all works like a champ! [thumbzup]

Here are a couple of pics....

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

M920

Antenna Mount and Block Heater

I used the break in the cold weather, to install a Zero Start engine coolant heater
on the FEMTT. It should aid with the starting procedure on really cold mornings.
I also used opporunity to address a couple of little coolant leaks, that had developed after I started using the truck again. While I was at it, I changed the coolant filter as well.

The antenna mount and antenna are obviously not the most important thing to install, but sometimes a man has to play a little and do unproductive, but cool stuff!
So just like 'Castle Bravo' stated in his HET thread, (in diffrent words of course) I too am a firm believer in the fact, that a military truck without a radio and an antenna is like a toilet without a lid, it's just like cold coffee!!!!
Soni:beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

KenaAuto

I had to spend a little 'time' with my wife after lookin' at those pics of your truck, if you know what I mean.:D

....that's to be considered the highest of compliments.

M920

Quick Connect Convoy Light

Today I made a mounting bracket for the back of the cab, so I can run one of the HELLA "quick connect" convoy lights on the FEMTT.

I really like these lights from Hella, because of their simple quick connect system, that attaches the light and connects the power all in one!

The power plug is built in to the socket and makes contact as soon as the light is slid on to the mounting tube.
When the light is off, a rubber cap keeps dirt and water out of the mounting socket.

Since I also use the FEMTT, with the 5000 gallon water trailer, as a backup 'Tanker' for our local fire department, it enables me to switch the beacon light from yellow to red in just a few seconds.

I also like the fact that it can be removed very easily, to keep it from getting damaged when driving under low tree branches or through the brush.

The light is all mounted but it got dark on me (16:30 hours this time of the year) so tomorrow, I still have to run the wires and hook it up to a switch in the cab.

Here are some pics of the Hella light and the mounting system.....

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

jdknech

So today I made a mounting bracket for the back of the cab, so I can run one of the HELLA "quick connect" convoy lights on the FEMTT.

I really like these lights from Hella, because of their simple quick connect system, that attaches the light and connects the power all in one!

The power plug is built in to the socket and makes contact as soon as the light is slid on to the mounting tube.
When the light is off, a rubber cap keeps dirt and water out of the mounting socket.

Since I also use the FEMTT, with the 5000 gallon water trailer, as a backup 'Tanker' for our local fire department, it enables me to switch the beacon light from yellow to red in just a few seconds.

I also like the fact that it can be removed very easily, to keep it from getting damaged when driving under low tree branches or through the brush.

The light is all mounted but it got dark on me (16:30 hours this time of the year) so I still have to run the wires and hook it up to a switch in the cab, tomorrow.

Here are some pics of the Hella light and the mounting system.....

Soni
this is very cool! do you have part numbers? or a supplier? I am very interested in some.. keep up the AWESOME work!

M920

this is very cool! do you have part numbers? or a supplier? I am very interested in some.. keep up the AWESOME work!
I will post the part numbers tomorrow, but I have not been able to figure out where the US military sourced their Hella lights here in the states. Hella USA does have similar lights available, but does not carry this particular type.

In the past I have picked some up here and there, on Fleabay and GL, but have not seen any for a quite a few years.

Since I use them on everything I own, I started importing them myself.

Anyway, if you like them and can't find them in the US, I would be more than happy to get you what you need the next time I place an order.

Btw....this goes for anybody else here on SS, that is interested in these lights. I probably have to place an order in a couple of month, so PM me. I will also figure out a price per light and for the mounts. These prices would be FOB Chama, NM of course.

Soni

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting! I was thinking about taking mine a different route, but I guess I still need a "360 degree" caution light. I'll have to look into it more.

After all, our cabs already have a cool "beacon" switch on the dash and all. It's only proper for a beacon to be installed right?

M920

Fire Extinguisher and Bridge Plate....

I had to do some work on the snow cat today, but I still managed to add a couple of items to the FEMTT....

First I added a 10 pound fire extinguisher to the side of the antenna bracket, so it would be easily accessible from the ground.
I had an incident a few days ago, where the 24V portion of my Leece Neville, dual voltage alternator was consumed by fire!!!!
I got lucky and was able to but it out with some rags, but it made the need for a good fire extinguisher quite obvious.....:roll:

I'm also installing a halon type extinguisher in the cab, that will be accessible from the driver and passenger seat.

I still had an other hour or so of daylight left, so I mounted the bridge plate that 'M1075' donated to the FEMTT project, to the top of the bumper. Thank you James!

Soni

Here are a couple of pics....

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks