• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

The M870 trailers have a "interchangeable " king pin set up to go from 2" to 3.5"

Does look good, just imaging the tanker 'singled out' with same size tires!, but going from what M1075 said (post #696).....
I'll assume that the tanker had(?) a 2" Kingpin and the M870 is 3 1/2" right..... What did you do to make this easy for the different trailers?

Looks good though.

350TacoZilla

I was just kidding about the modifications on the HET.....I like it just the way it is!!

As far as the tire size....the 16.00R 20 are pretty much as big as you can go and still maintain DOT approval.

Soni
Aren't the 24r21's DOT also? I had looked into a pair of them for the rear of my truck keeping 16r20's up front but didnt want the 1.5" taller tires in back, I had thought they were same height just wider originally.

M920

Aren't the 24r21's DOT also? I had looked into a pair of them for the rear of my truck keeping 16r20's up front but didnt want the 1.5" taller tires in back, I had thought they were same height just wider originally.
You are certainly correct as far as the 24R21s being DOT branded tires and therefore street legal. The reason I said ...."pretty much as big as you can go"....is because installing them on the M1070 HET, makes it over width! So now you have to deal with permits, every time you take it out on the road. The reason for this is that both the front and the rear axles on the HET are made wide enough to run the wheels deep dish in.

Besides this obvious drawback, the HET really looks even more 'badass' with those tires on it....!!! [thumbzup]

Soni

Last edited:

M920

Does look good, just imaging the tanker 'singled out' with same size tires!, but going from what M1075 said (post #696).....
I'll assume that the tanker had(?) a 2" Kingpin and the M870 is 3 1/2" right..... What did you do to make this easy for the different trailers?

Looks good though.
All my trailers have been converted to 2" kingpins. I do have 2" and 3.5" kingpin, interchangeable fifth wheel top plates for the FEMTT and the M920A1....just in case I have to tow a 3.5" kingpin trailer......

Soni

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't wait to hear the following report! Pull into truck stop while on the road to refuel. Subject walks up and generates a conversation about the truck explaining that he drove a truck exactly like that in Desert Storm/Shield. Despite all efforts to inform him that it's a "One Off" build, he still insists he drove one in "The War". Without out a doubt, that's one wicked build.

350TacoZilla

Can't wait to hear the following report! Pull into truck stop while on the road to refuel. Subject walks up and generates a conversation about the truck explaining that he drove a truck exactly like that in Desert Storm/Shield. Despite all efforts to inform him that it's a "One Off" build, he still insists he drove one in "The War". Without out a doubt, that's one wicked build.

ha ha I have probably had 10 people tell me that they were in military and drove deuces just like mine (m923 bobbed to 4x4) and how hard they were to drive with the no power steering or hard brakes etc etc...

350TacoZilla

You are certainly correct as far as the 24R21s being DOT branded tires and therefore street legal. The reason I said ...."pretty much as big as you can go"....is because installing them on the M1070 HET, makes it over width! So now you have to deal with permits, every time you take it out on the road. The reason for this is that both the front and the rear axles on the HET are made wide enough to run the wheels deep dish in.

Besides this obvious drawback, the HET really looks even more 'badass' with those tires on it....!!! [thumbzup]

Soni
ahh I never knew about the axle width on it , thats why I only considered them for the rear of my truck to take place of dual wheels as I knew they would be over width on the front (if you could get them to clear at all)

M920

Femtt & m870a1

Here are some pics of the FEMTT pulling my M870A1 and of a recent FEMTT hill climb test outside of Chama....It really did great!

Just as a comparison, I tried to climb the same dirt hill in the M920A1, but it could not even make it a third of the way up before it started hopping bad and I had to abort.

This really confirms my hopes, that the weight distribution on the FEMTT would make it a great climber. I could even stop on the steepest part and take right off again with hardly any tire slippage! :naner:

I can't wait to get the brand new Oshkosh 55000 transfer case installed. After a long search, I finally found one on GL and it will give the FEMTT the much needed low range. This should really improve it's off-road drivability even more!

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need more pictures.................... That is beautiful

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Soni what color is that? Looks like my CUCV and M62?

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In pic #2 the M920A1 looks sad :cry: . Almost makes you feel bad that the owner has a new toy and the old one goes to the wayside.

M920

Knuckle Boom uses.....

Used the crane on my FEMTT today.....it sure comes in handy.....

I'm planning to take it to the Arizona military vehicle show this coming weekend and I'm really super curious to see how many people will recognize it's M916 roots....lol :grin:

Soni

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks