• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or in Pic three is that a complete vehicle, not just a cab? Looks to be painted tri-color and have TIRES under it! LOL (Awesome work by the way!)
God bless,
Tony

M920

Or in Pic three is that a complete vehicle, not just a cab? Looks to be painted tri-color and have TIRES under it! LOL (Awesome work by the way!)
God bless,
Tony
Very good observation Sir! It's another "project" of course....lol

And thanks for the nice compliments.

M920

Just got the actuator for the pneumatic trottle control in the mail. Now I can design and fabricate a bracket for it.

The "local" (just 130 miles away) Stewart & Stevenson dealer is making me a custom extension harness for the Allison push button pad. Looks like things are progressing nicely....

I'm going to try to finish all the welding on the pan today and primer & paint it tomorrow, this should enable me to put the cab back on Monday.

I will of course post updates on everything.....

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Soni, do you have the part number/specifics on the gear drive box? I bought one on ebay, but now that I've researched it, I don't believe it will work. (It's actually an indexer)

M920

Steering gear box

Soni, do you have the part number/specifics on the gear drive box? I bought one on ebay, but now that I've researched it, I don't believe it will work. (It's actually an indexer)

Ok, the gear box is made by "HUB CITY" and it is called a "Parallel Shaft Drive"

It is called a Model: 22 Style: C Reduction: 1:1 Part# 10784

I purchased mine through "Motion Industries", (www.motionindustries.com) they are a distributor for Hub City.

Attachments

M920

Ready for PAINT

Today I got all the welding done on the inside of the pan and added the two stiffener braces on each side of the main support plates. Looks like I'm ready for primer in the morning.... :grin:

Attachments

rickf

As I have been for years I am awed by your work. Now the big question, how much do you figure all of that which you have added weighs? Your steel supplier must love you and I would love to see your metalworking equipment. Bending and cutting steel that size that cleanly takes some serious machinery.
Show us some pics of the toys (tools) that make it happen! :drool:
Rick

Tornadogt

Of course I kept the drawings of all the parts.....:roll:

I believe that the frame width on the 931 is the industrie standard 34" outside to outside frame rails just like the 916.

I'm actually talking to a friend of mine, about doing a conversion on his 931A2, after I get done with the FEMTT project.
So there is going to be an opportunity to get the mounts and frame extensions and all other related parts, specifically for the M931 series trucks!!

IF you do end up doing this project with the M931 PLEASE save the plans for things like cab mounts, Frame extensions, Steering brackets, Ect. I would be willing to bet IF you wanted you could sell more than a Few "Kits" for this conversions on a M939 series chassis... I would surely be interested in one..

Great project looking Awesome as ALWAYS....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IF you do end up doing this project with the M931 PLEASE save the plans for things like cab mounts, Frame extensions, Steering brackets, Ect. I would be willing to bet IF you wanted you could sell more than a Few "Kits" for this conversions on a M939 series chassis... I would surely be interested in one..

Great project looking Awesome as ALWAYS....
I'm starting a project as well to convert my M931 as well. (Bought the cab, working on the logistics of getting it here) I'd LOVE for Soni to build another one after this for his friend and duplicate the parts.... (Well triplicate I guess if you're interested in build one as well)

I'm thinking about using a MRAP variant bumper for mine though. Then building up a "skid plate" off that. I believe the bumper I know of is this one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...istant_Ambush_Protected_Vehicle_)_photo-6.JPG

I'd torch off the "step" and it wouldn't have the front pintle nor would it have the lights mounted above it. But I know these bumpers are heavy enough to protect in a crash.

M920

I would not mind at all, making all the mounts and brackets in multiples.

I could put together a "kit" that would contain the front frame extensions, all the cab mount brackets, all the parts and brackets for the steering set-up, the actuator and brackets for the pneumatic throttle, the cable and brackets for the transfercase shifter, the three Deutch connectors for the electrical quick connect to the cab and a schematic on how to hook up all the air and electrical connections.

The front bumper and skid plate, as well as the engine hood and fenders could then be made to the individuals liking.
Maybe we should do a poll to see how many people would potentially be interested in such a "kit".....

Let me know what you guys think!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I could put together a "kit" that would contain the front frame extensions, all the cab mount brackets, all the parts and brackets for the steering set-up, the actuator and brackets for the pneumatic throttle, the cable and brackets for the transfercase shifter, the three Deutch connectors for the electrical quick connect to the cab and a schematic on how to hook up all the air and electrical connections.

The front bumper and skid plate, as well as the engine hood and fenders could then be made to the individuals liking.
Maybe we should do a poll to see how many people would potentially be interested in such a "kit".....

I would very much like you to start a poll on that. But I'd probably say offer kits as "stages" if you will.

M920

I would very much like you to start a poll on that. But I'd probably say offer kits as "stages" if you will.

That's a good idea about doing stages and I think I would also offer all the seperate parts and pieces induvidually.

Ok....so I will get all my "ducks in a row" and start then that poll.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter

And just when I was thinking that a cab swap would be way too much work, you go and say something like this....

Do I even want to know how much this "kit" would cost?

M920

And just when I was thinking that a cab swap would be way too much work, you go and say something like this....

Do I even want to know how much this "kit" would cost?
That's what I'm going to try to figure out for the "poll". Of course the more people are interested and the more "kits" I can produce the cheaper they get! :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks