• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

M920

Hey! Looks good. Did the weather hold out to paint
today?

Well, I got the inside of the 'pan' painted before it started sleeting.....I will hopefully be able to finish the front and paint the underside of the cab today!

Here are a couple of pics.

It is supposed to be really nice weather....we'll see... :-D

Attachments

Hoefler

Lines flow nice-the integration of clevice, stiffener bar-super nice. Industrial art here folks. I like how protected the radiator will be too.
Pete

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a chance that the "job" in April would include a camera for "action" photos of your awesome creation? Would be wonderful to see her in operation in her intended environment, earning her keep and justifying her creation! Just an idea. Thank you for sharing your MFG with us here on S.S. Some how, each of us, is living his/her fabrication dream through your thread! LOL
God bless,
Tony

M920

The cab is back on!

Well....I'm tired but happy; the CAB IS BACK ON and almost painted!!!! :jumpin: It was a long day, but thanks to my 'little helpers' we made good progress.

As I mentioned I'm a little worn out, so I'm not going to write a long description, but here are some pics....

Attachments

M920

Is there a chance that the "job" in April would include a camera for "action" photos of your awesome creation? Would be wonderful to see her in operation in her intended environment, earning her keep and justifying her creation! Just an idea. Thank you for sharing your MFG with us here on S.S. Some how, each of us, is living his/her fabrication dream through your thread! LOL
God bless,
Tony
Thank you, I'm glad you guys are enjoying the thread. I will certainly take pictures of the 'April job' and share them with the S.S. members.

Here is a sneak preview of 'The Job'.....236,000 pounds of it....and a mile to go... :???:

Attachments

quickfarms

Yes, I will try to make the 'modules' fit over the permanently mounted fifth wheel. I'm not sure yet if I can make it work that way, but the idea is to widen the subframes on the modules so they fit around the outside of the fifth wheel.
There will be two ISO twist lock mounts with the standard ISO dimmension between them, on the front of the cargo area. The two rear ISO twist lock mounts will be located just outside the trucks frame rails. This will keep them out of the way of a semi trailer when turning. I will cover the construction of all that in this thread, when I get to that point.....got to get the truck drivable first....:roll:
There is, was, a dump truck running around here with a fifth wheel under the dump bed. When work is slow they pull the dump bed and use it as a tractor.

I have thought about setting up a tractor to haul 10' containers. A beam would be mounted behind the cab that would have two twist locks in it the top of the beam would be just above the height if the fifth wheel. There would be a second beam mounted to the read if the frame but it would pivot on a set of shackle mounts or ramp extensions. The rear beam could be either removed or rotated down to use the tractor.

Another option to attach the container frame to the truck frame would be the clamps used on a swap body system.

If you download the jost catalog there is a section in it about the different container locks and the swap body.

M920

"Prairie engine"? Could you please elaborate Ferro?

God bless,
Tony
Tony,

He is refering to the wheel arrangement of the locomotive. Different wheel arrangements have different designations.
This engine is a "Prairie" because it has a 2-6-2 wheel arrangement (2 pilot wheels, 6 drive wheels and 2 trailing truck wheels).

With steam locomotives the wheel arrangements are broken down as follows:

The first number, is the number of non-powered wheels on the pilot truck (first set of wheels behind the pilot or cow-catcher). The second number represents the number of drivers, or powered wheels the engine has and the third number is the number of non-powered wheels on the trailing truck (last set of wheels under the cab).

So here are a couple of other examples of names used for different wheel arrangements:

"Mikado" (2-8-2) "Consolidation" (2-8-0) "American" (4-4-0)....etc.

Hope this helps in answering your question.

Soni

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only experience with steam locomotives was my father's HO layout in the basement when I was a kid.:tank: Thanks for the explanation!

God bless,
Tony

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He he, I had an HO set as a kid, too. The locomotive we have I remember was one of the later ones, a 2-10-4 Texan.

Anyways, you're doing a great job, Soni! What is the plan to "fill in" all that space that now resides where the engine hood and cab used to be?

Csm Davis

Yes, I will try to make the 'modules' fit over the permanently mounted fifth wheel. I'm not sure yet if I can make it work that way, but the idea is to widen the subframes on the modules so they fit around the outside of the fifth wheel.
There will be two ISO twist lock mounts with the standard ISO dimmension between them, on the front of the cargo area. The two rear ISO twist lock mounts will be located just outside the trucks frame rails. This will keep them out of the way of a semi trailer when turning. I will cover the construction of all that in this thread, when I get to that point.....got to get the truck drivable first....:roll:
I think I may have found the easy way to keep the fifth wheel mounted and use the truck for other stuff check out the Jost duel height fifth wheel.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soni - I "see" your Prarie engine and raise you a Union Pacific "Big Boy" (4-8-8-4), so unless you have a Bayer Garratt (4-8-4 4-8-4) to trump me - I win!!!

OK - now back to fantastic truck building...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks