• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

M920

Ok boys and girls, I'm finally back on the FEMMT project!:grd:

I had to suspend work on the project to move the La Junta locomotive and then had a bunch of small jobs and trips that kept me from getting back to working on the FEMMT.

So I started by hoisting the spare up on to the mount and it fits perfect. I wanted it in place to make sure I did no install anything that might interfere with it.
I then lenghened the arm on the spare tire davit by 7 inches, to get it dead center above the mount and to allow it to swing free of the truck, when lowering the spare.
I know the crane can be used to deploy the spare tire, but I decided to install the manual hoist anyway, just in case the crane was occupied or the truck's engine was disabled.
I also got the new fenders back from the steel place and this time they seem to fit. I got the fenders mocked up in place and I'm in the process of welding up all the braces and re-enforcements on them.

Pics will follow when I get them done and installed.....

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the crane can be used to deploy the spare tire, but I decided to install the manual hoist anyway, just in case the crane was occupied or the truck's engine was disabled.
Maybe it's just me......but if the trucks' engine was disabled, why would you need to change the tire? It ain't goin anywhere! :confused:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe it's just me......but if the trucks' engine was disabled, why would you need to change the tire? It ain't goin anywhere! :confused:
I'm perplexed by this question about my build as well. Looking at how things will lay out. A side mount spare isn't going to work for my truck. I thought more about the top mounted spare and use the crane to load/unload.

M920

Well....maybe it's just ME..... but as pointed out above, you can't really tow it with a towbar if it has a flat tire. Learned that in the 9 years that I was runing a wreckerservice...... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While others have already provided rational answers, I feel compelled to chime in.

You ask your question and then state: "It ain't goin anywhere!"
Well... that's EXACTLY the problem and the the very reason you would need to be able to unload and change the spare tire. It may well NEED to go somewhere to get the engine problem addressed. Most of us would rather not have to turn wrenches on the side of the road or away from appropriate tools and equipment.

mendo

Well....maybe it's just ME..... but as pointed out above, you can't really tow it with a towbar if it has a flat tire. Learned that in the 9 years that I was runing a wreckerservice...... :rolleyes:
I was thinking that, at least with all the tires, it can be towed somewhere.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same welder I have,I can weld better with it than a new one. Exhaust pipe to 1/2 plate is no problem, haven't even used the high heat settings.

M920

Same welder I have,I can weld better with it than a new one. Exhaust pipe to 1/2 plate is no problem, haven't even used the high heat settings.
Yup...I never use the high side either! Here are a few pics of the steel "skid-pan" that we used to move a 237,000 pound steam locomotive 1/2 mile down the streets of La Junta, CO this April.
It was entirely welded up with the little Miller matic 200.....On the highest setting of the "LOW" side!! some of the steel was 1 3/4 inches thick! :)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks