• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

M920

And it makes it first dollar before the final finish is even done! Way to go. Looks like you were about maxed out on the height with the tanks. You say you ran out of fuel coming in, did you fill up going out? What kind of mileage are you getting? I would imagine that with the jobs you get in the middle of nowhere fuel capacity could be an issue.
Yes....the tanks were about the maximum size the FEMTT could handle without using a jib extension. They were 17 ft. tall, 12 ft. in diameter and weight 3100 pounds each.

Now the running out of fuel was entirely my fault. I just forgot to double check and did not take in to account all the test runs that I went on after putting only about 25-30 gallons in to the tank initially.
From what I can tell so far it gets about 6-7 mpg, but I will check it over a longer period of time and then post the result here on SS.

So bottom line..... I really got lucky on this one, since I have not installed a bracket for a spare jerry can yet. This could have been pretty bad.....no cell service on 12 of the 13 miles either....:whistle:

Anyway....I figure that the truck should have at least a 500 mile range with the 95 gallon tank, which should be more then adequate for my purposes....

Soni

Last edited:

M920

Awesome Soni, well done sir. The second, third, and last pics are gonna be stolen by me and used for desktop backgrounds, ok? lol. Sweet pics.
Wow....well of course you can, it would be a great honor! It is really truly flattering, that some of you might actually want to make my truck pics your desktop background.....all I can say to that is 'WOW' again and thank you for all the nice compliments!

Soni

M920

Fuel Gauge and Pogo Stick....

We got some snow last night and it turned very cold as the front passed. As a result I did not get as much done on the FEMTT as I wanted to.

I did get the new VDO fuel level sender installed in the fuel tank, welded on the bracket for the pogo stick and bolted the pogo stick in place. It will stay permanently mounted at the back of the crane and is not going to be part of the 'fifth wheel module'.
This will eliminate two connections, that I would have to deal with when changing modules.

I also got a set of YANKEE turn signal lights in the mail today. I always liked to use these on my military vehicles, because they match the existing marker lights, but are actually true, bright turn signals. I have a set of these on the front fenders of my M920A1 and they have proven very effective, especially when changing lanes.

So when I tried to order a pair for the FEMTT, I found out that they are no longer produced. Luckily I found a set of NOS on E-bay!

They will be mounted in front of the driver and passenger doors just above the reflectors.

Soni

Attachments

quickfarms

I did get the new VDO fuel level sender installed in the fuel tank, welded on the bracket for the pogo stick and bolted the pogo stick in place. It will stay permanently mounted at the back of the crane and is not going to be part of the 'fifth wheel module'.
This will eliminate two connections, that I would have to deal with when changing modules.
Any more information on you module idea?

Are you going to leave the fifth wheel and put the containers on top of it?

I have a 10 foot refrigerated container that I have been thinking about converting to a small rv to mount in my tractor.

M920

Modules

Any more information on you module idea?
So for now I'm planning on having 3 modules, that are quick detachable via standard ISO container twist locks:

-TRACTOR FIFTH WHEEL MODULE

This will comprise of the oscillating Holland fifth wheel base with interchangable top plates for 2" or 3.5" king pins.
It will have a 45,000 pound capacity DP hydraulic drag winch mounted on the front of it and will have some kind of fenders facing forward.

-FLAT BED MODULE

This will be made from the bed that came on the Mk17 RBU. It will be shortened to 12 feet in orderto fit the space availabe on the back of the FEMTT. It will still be fitted with the Mk17 drop sides, and will also have a 45,000 pound capacity DP hydraulic winch mounted on the front of it.

-TANK MODULE

This module will utilize the stainless steel 1200 gallon capacity tank that came of a 2 1/2 ton fuel truck. It will haul water and have a on board pump, so it can also be used for fire suppression.

Eventually there is a LIVING MODULE planed in the far future, if I ever get to that point....lol

Are you going to leave the fifth wheel and put the containers on top of it?
No, without any module on it it will just be the bare frame with the mounting points for the ISO twist locks.

I have a 10 foot refrigerated container that I have been thinking about converting to a small rv to mount in my tractor.
That would be pretty cool....

[thumbzup]

Last edited:

quickfarms

There is a considerable amount of slop between the ISO twist locks and the corner fittings. This is done to facilitate easier loading. This slop could cause a huge shock load with the fifth wheel module. Some of this could be eliminated by making custom aperture plates. I need to have some custom aperture plates made because the slop is to much for my taste. I am going to use the container locks to secure the front of my S280 to my bed. Personally i would leave the fifth wheel bolted to the frame. Have you looked at the swap body mounts such as those made by jost.

For the flat bed module I would suggest that you consider making it long enough to carry a S280, they make nice campers.

59apache

Chipmaker
I also got a set of YANKEE turn signal lights in the mail today. I always liked to use these on my military vehicles, because they match the existing marker lights, but are actually true, bright turn signals. I have a set of these on the front fenders of my M920A1 and they have proven very effective, especially when changing lanes.
Has anyone trialed the lights from Grote? http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/gte-46283/overview/

Sorry for hijacking.

Hammer

M920

Hey Soni on the Yankee turn signal lights are you saying that they have a dual element bulb and wiring or are just brighter.
They are turn signal only. They use the same bulb as the composite light turn and stop bulb and are very bright, even in daytime. I will post some pics when I get them installed.

Soni

Last edited:

M920

Normal ISO container locks have a lot of slop in them.
But, they do make ones built to have no slack.
Here is a vertical lock.
http://www.tandemloc.com/securing-vertical-clamp-conector-K08A00A-1GA.asp
And here is a stronger version of the same lock.
http://www.tandemloc.com/securing-high-strength-vertical-clamp-conector-K08A00D-1GA.asp

Suckers are spendy, but for what you are thinking about, these are FAR better then standard twist locks!
Awesome! Thank's for the great tip Hammer....these will work much better then the ones that I was going to use!

Now I have to start saving for them.....lol

Soni

M920

In Good Company.....

Well....no progress to report on the FEMTT today, but a friend of mine and I took our "little" MVs out for a sunset cruise around Chama....hmmm, I guess somtimes you just have take a break and go play.... [thumbzup]

Btw....so much for HETs have no articullation on their air ride suspension....lol

Soni

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks, the FEMTT is only 8' 8" tall.....looks pretty short next to a towering HET...lol

Soni
That's all? Mine would probably be that tall if my knuckleboom was different. I'm going to be at ~11ft on that point :(

M920

Turn Signals

Today I just worked on a bunch of little things that needed done or finished, so I really do not feel like I accomplished much......:roll:

Well, at least I got the auxillary "Yankee" turn signals installed and hooked up. I think they are going to be very helpfull in traffic....

Soni

Attachments

M920

Thats impressive, your center of gravity must be very low. Any plans to calculate the side rollover angle?
I was trying to stay within the same silouette as the HEMTT, but it ended up being 3" taller. Now that is measured to the roof line of the cab. On the HEMTT the spare tire sticks up another 11", which makes it 112" tall.

My measurement on the FEMTT does not include the spare tire davit since it is easily removable.

And yes....I will definately calculate (or non destructive test) the side rollover angle, when I get it all done. It would certainly be a good value to know when manuvering around in the mountains....lol

Soni

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great work Soni. Gets my vote for best thread!

Looking forward to the "Module" build pics etc.

You will have your very own "Thunderbird 2" with all the Pods.... as piloted by Virgil Tracy - no relative of patracy, though he does know of 'said' Virgil.

"F A B" :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks