• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:
I did not drive Soni's truck, but I have seen his work and it is great.
But it was to cold at Soni's for this old Desert Rat. LOL!!

M920

:ditto:
I did not drive Soni's truck, but I have seen his work and it is great.
But it was to cold at Soni's for this old Desert Rat. LOL!!
Thanks! I'm glad your trip went well....I bet you guys were glad to be back in your warm and cozy 'desert oasis' though......you both looked pretty cold and miserable.....Lol

Soni

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! I'm glad your trip went well....I bet you guys were glad to be back in your warm and cozy 'desert oasis' though......you both looked pretty cold and miserable.....Lol

Soni
We were not to bad, but I was about ready to put my coveralls on. LOL
When it gets around 70 anymore I am looking for a sweet shirt, sad but true.
Thanks for having us. See you in Jan. at the show.

M920

Rear Mud Flaps and Frame Coverings....

I have to go back to the job site down by the Monestary on Sunday, so I decided to be legal and install a pair of rear mud flaps. I already had a set of the "appropriate" Oshkosh mud flaps in stock, so I only had to order a set of the coil spring type hangers from NAPA.

When I stuck the hangers in the brackets, I realized that they protruded out a couple of inches past the outside of the rear tires. They also came with four flap hangers brackets per side but the Oshkosh flaps only need three. (They are made narrower for super single tires)
So I chopped off two inches off the outside of each hanger arm, which eliminated tho most outboard flap hanger bracket as well.
I then welded the outboard one of the remaining three brackets to the outer end of the hanger arm.
Now the mud flaps are nicely centered behind the tires. They already come with holes in them for standard military reflectors, so I bolted on two red Grote reflectors from my stash.....lol

I also temporarily installed two sections of the GRIP-STRUT deck plate, that M916-M920 trucks came with from the factory, over the big open area of the frame between the fifth wheel and the crane.
This will facillitate moving about when hooking up air lines and electrical connections.

On a different note; after kicking it back and forth several times, I decided to mount the 45,000 pound DP hydraulic drag winch to truck instead of the modules after all.

As mentioned before I contemplated to mount a seperate winch on each, the flat bed module and the fifth wheel module.
But the advantages of it being mounted to the frame, right behind the crane permanently prevailed.
So I will get started on that ASAP.....:)

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do you have any part numbers for all this? That's one area I haven't even thought about yet.

Northern Mexican

And yes....I will definately calculate (or non destructive test) the side rollover angle, when I get it all done. It would certainly be a good value to know when manuvering around in the mountains....lol
Just wondering how you would conduct non-destructive testing for a large vehicle like the FEMTT.

M920

Painting......oh and more PAINTING....

I spent the morning degreasing and pressure washing the FEMTT. Then, after a period of drying, the dreaded 16.00-R20 tire removal.....:roll:

Darn, I forgot how much work it is to paint the frame and rear suspension.....there are just a gazillion nooks and crannies and it is hard not to miss any spots!

So at dusk (and it comes early these days) I got the whole remaining rear section of the FEMTT painted, but......I did not quite get to the crane......:-(

Oh well.....maybe tomorrow....

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

M920

Just wondering how you would conduct non-destructive testing for a large vehicle like the FEMTT.
Well lets see, I would drive it on to the big steel pan that we used for moving the La Junta locomotive. I would then chain one side of the FEMTT down to the pan, leaving a little slack in the chains. With the crane, I would lift up the side of the pan that has the chains running to the FEMTT, until the point is reached where the FEMTT starts to roll and takes up the slack in the chains. I would then measure the angle of the pan at which this occured.
I will make sure to post pics of it here, when I actually perform this test....:popcorn:

Soni

Last edited:

M920

A Maintenace Shelter....

So I had to take a brake from the FEMTT project for a couple of days, to put up the LME (Lightweight Maintenance Enclosure) that I won on GL, a few weeks ago.

I'm very exited, to be a little less dependent on the weather this winter!
[thumbzup]

Soni

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks