• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

STLvortac

Just discovered and subscribed to this Thread!! Soni your work is truly amazing. Catching up on the build process has taken up my entire night! lol. I need one of these in my life!!

M920

The FEMTT at work....

Well, I finally got to try the new dump bed module for an actual job and it did awesome!

I hauled a total of almost 50 tons of road base to the top of 9100 foot tall Rabbit Peak antenna site. This is part of a new Verizon cell tower that is being constructed there. It took five trips, since the bed will hold about 6.5 yards or about 9.4 tons of material.
So off course I was a bit worried about a really steep section of road just before the top. It has about a 35 to 40 percent grade and is pretty rocky.
I have not installed the new Oshkosh two speed transfer case yet and was not sure if it hade enough power, but even at almost 60,000 pounds GVW it climbed up the mountain like a mountain goat with lots of power to spare!
:naner:

Here are some pics:

Soni

Attachments

goldneagle

Well, I finally got to try the new dump bed module for an actual job and it did awesome!

I hauled a total of almost 50 tons of road base to the top of 9100 foot tall Rabbit Peak antenna site. This is part of a new Verizon cell tower that is being constructed there. It took five trips, since the bed will hold about 6.5 yards or about 9.4 tons of material.
So off course I was a bit worried about a really steep section of road just before the top. It has about a 35 to 40 percent grade and is pretty rocky.
I have not installed the new Oshkosh two speed transfer case yet and was not sure if it hade enough power, but even at almost 60,000 pounds GVW it climbed up the mountain like a mountain goat with lots of power to spare!
:naner:

Here are some pics:

Soni
That is a cool looking truck! It looks like it came out of the factory that way. Enjoy your new ride.:tank:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a second there looking at the first thumbnail picture I thought Soni had added a 300ft antenna module as an option. :D
Don't give him any ideas. He might do it. Talk about a mobile hot spot....LOL
Soni,
You need to deploy to the GA RALLY. Durhamtown's internet took a lightning hit and your 300' Antenna Module is NEEDED ASAP.

M920

Thanks to all!
Yes, the bed definately needs top boards. Speaking of trailer; I even thought about building a "module trailer", that has the same twist lock attachments as the FEMTT and could be pulled by it. That way I can take an extra module if necessary.

So today, I have to transport two 52 foot sections of a "monopole" antenna mast up to the Rabbit Peak site. I will use the FEMTT and tie them over the top of the cab.

I will take some pics for sure....

Soni

DrillerSurplus

Thanks to all!
- - Speaking of trailer; I even thought about building a "module trailer", that has the same twist lock attachments as the FEMTT and could be pulled by it. That way I can take an extra module if necessary.

Soni

One of those Mk14 rear units for the MK48 with the pintle tongue on it would work. A bunch of them sold cheap at Barstow last year. It would be heavier than necessary, but the price might be right.

M920

Well, the trip up the mountain got postponed until tomorrow due to snow!!!
That sux because it is going to super muddy......I HATE MUD!!!!!

Soni

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mud can make for a sphincter clenching adventure in hill country with or without a heavy load. =( Know you'll be careful,,,,,,,,,,,

God bless
Tony

PS......Congrats on 100! Pages in this post. =)

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was at Soni's picking up my trailer, we took a few photos of the two Grumman M916s together again. Soni remarked that my 916 is merely a "FEMTT starter kit." :)

Attachments

350TacoZilla

Out of curiosity what would you say the offroad capabilities are like with the FEMTT vs your signature rig the M920? I know the FEMTT has the tire and low CG as an advantage but it seems your M920 was no slouch offroad even with the civi tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks